How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Closed Thread
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #376
Spike6901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
The tick is one of the biggest indicators, but the bad head will also result in a loss of power. However, it doesn't happen overnight.
Mine never ticked...just threw the code.

After the head replacement, the JK picked up power for sure.

On another note, my wife's Avenger as the 3.6L and my father's RAM crew cab 4x4 has it. Neither have had a single issue. Both engines are quieter than the JK's at idle. Maybe is has something to do with the engine bay, and chassis design but the 3.6L in the JK is louder and has more vibrations that in both of the other vehicles at idle. Also, my father's RAM runs better than the JK and gets 5mpg better on the highway despite the fact it is a much larger vehicle, hahaha.

2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #377
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

The gasoline that I put into my 2012 has had 10% ethanol since day 1, because that's all that's allowed to be sold here in California. Still no problems with my Pentastar engine.

One thing I did do from early on was change out the oil for a good synthetic. I put in Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and it seems to like that. If I put in Mobil 1 5w30 it sounds a bit "tappy", so that oil didn't last long in my engine (I dropped it and replaced it). Same thing with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, it sounded a bit tappy, so I dropped it and replaced it. So it's getting the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 because that's what it likes. Engines are like cats, if they don't like what you're feeding them, they tend to poop in your slippers and stuff .
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #378
Jamnut
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2012 sport and I just had to change the driver's side head at 30 K miles.
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #379
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm at 34k miles right now. All still well with my Pentastar.
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #380
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

25,300 on my 2012. No problems.
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #381
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj
Its going to be brought to the surface soon on the culprit that causes the low % of failures to the VVT Pentastar engines. I know this, because I had/have 2 jeeps with the Penastar engines. 2012/ 2013 and have HAD 0 problems News flash "cheap, corn gas" adds to the premature wear to non metal/ metal fuel system components.
You see it's being well proven that the damage to valve train components is quite real .And you have to trace this down to the fuel! And Fuel only!

Chrysler is going to be forced to change the description to the Pentastar motor to being labeled for Non Flex fuel applications.

The one common thread that those owners who had to get a overhaul to their new jeep is so plain.
Using crap gas! I am not talking about the % of octane I am talking about Flex fuels and other corn mixed fuels.
The VVT aspect/features of this engine is compromised by putting in these harmful blended fuels ...............
I am not a big time mechanic but its just so plain and simple. I use Real gas or modify the corn gas with additives that neutralize the harmful effects of "gas a hol." And again I have had 0 problems from the 1st mile to the 30 k mile on these Jeeps! Happy trails.
You're joking I assume?

Jeep sold the product in this market. 10% ethanol is common, almost the norm in many places.
They know this, and it is their responsibility to design an engine capability of operating in these conditions.
Funny I don't hear every other manufacturer running around with head problems and blaming it on fuel.
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #382
Bockwinkle
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 here with 1200 miles that I bought last month and runs great....have been listening for the tick
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #383
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
You're joking I assume?

Funny I don't hear every other manufacturer running around with head problems and blaming it on fuel.
You did not read my post in totality. With all due respect, I am just giving a hypothesis, to a culprit that has been proven by many techs to cause engine damage. I said earlier I am not a tech. But unlike many in here that are poking at Chrysler and its so called deficiencies on the Pentastar,I have owned a couple Jeeps with this type of engine.So I am using my experience here. In response to the comment on other engines and manufactures not having issues, I have to dissagree. I will not compaire the VVT of the Pentastar with any other motor. This motor is different in many ways vs the Ford Triton or Chevy LS for example. imo Can you say miles of Timing Chain?

But hey its just an opinion. I will do here just like I do with the guys and gals that harp on the notion that no fuel comes in contact to internal engine parts, to justifythat fuel could never cause engine issues. I will just agree to dissagree.

Thanks
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #384
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

My jeep goes in for new heads when I get back. 14,200 on my 2013.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #385
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
You're joking I assume?

Jeep sold the product in this market. 10% ethanol is common, almost the norm in many places.
They know this, and it is their responsibility to design an engine capability of operating in these conditions.
l.
Again I am not trying to start a fuel debate, But this entitlement attitude is now shared by many Americans on many issues unfortunately.

I remember when Crown came out with this blended fuels in the 80's.
I wish I could of came back at Ford and had them replace my injectors for free on my Tempo, because quote:" they did not make a car that could run on corn" lol

Of course this was before the " new world order"

SO Who will/should take the blame for the H2o IN your engine's crankcase and other vital areas that Corn causes moisture in?

Obama?

See my point?

Peace.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #386
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
My jeep goes in for new heads when I get back. 14,200 on my 2013.
A 2013 with "new designed " heads? Getting "new heads"?

This is the Newer???? New head replacement?

Hmmmmm So the different/same Newer Head will correct it?

Or just get you 14k more miles?

OK.

BTW My 2012 runs great and My 2013 unlimited is even better. But the fuel choice I make has no bearing? Ok.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #387
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
The gasoline that I put into my 2012 has had 10% ethanol since day 1, because that's all that's allowed to be sold here in California. Still no problems with my Pentastar engine.

One thing I did do from early on was change out the oil for a good synthetic. I put in Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and it seems to like that. If I put in Mobil 1 5w30 it sounds a bit "tappy", so that oil didn't last long in my engine (I dropped it and replaced it). Same thing with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, it sounded a bit tappy, so I dropped it and replaced it. So it's getting the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 because that's what it likes. Engines are like cats, if they don't like what you're feeding them, they tend to poop in your slippers and stuff .
Thanks for posting how your pentastar did after going Syn. I have been waiting and chomping at the bits to get Ams-oil in the crankcase. But so far Chrysler has no syn oil or any after mrk oil that meets the manufactures specs.

I will wait. Taps is only best heard on a on a bugle, not a engine..............
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #388
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
A 2013 with "new designed " heads? Getting "new heads"?

This is the Newer???? New head replacement?

Hmmmmm So the different/same Newer Head will correct it?

Or just get you 14k more miles?

OK.

BTW My 2012 runs great and My 2013 unlimited is even better. But the fuel choice I make has no bearing? Ok.
No idea, I had mentioned a "tick" when I was there for other warranty work and they said they had to order the head. I'm beyond caring what's wrong with this thing any more.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
Unread 01-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #389
SamM

I've got almost 10,000 on my 2013. I purchased the LifeMax warranty because of the engine issues. It's their baby!

SamM
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #390
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Its going to be brought to the surface soon on the culprit that causes the low % of failures to the VVT Pentastar engines. I know this, because I had/have 2 jeeps with the Penastar engines. 2012/ 2013 and have HAD 0 problems
Quote:
You did not read my post in totality. With all due respect, I am just giving a hypothesis, to a culprit that has been proven by many techs to cause engine damage. I said earlier I am not a tech. But unlike many in here that are poking at Chrysler and its so called deficiencies on the Pentastar,I have owned a couple Jeeps with this type of engine.So I am using my experience here.
Quote:
Again I am not trying to start a fuel debate, But this entitlement attitude is now shared by many Americans on many issues unfortunately.
I apologize if I'm being ignorant here, but what the **** are you talking about?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.