How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #376 of 516 Old 01-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Spike6901
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Katy
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
The tick is one of the biggest indicators, but the bad head will also result in a loss of power. However, it doesn't happen overnight.
Mine never ticked...just threw the code.

After the head replacement, the JK picked up power for sure.

On another note, my wife's Avenger as the 3.6L and my father's RAM crew cab 4x4 has it. Neither have had a single issue. Both engines are quieter than the JK's at idle. Maybe is has something to do with the engine bay, and chassis design but the 3.6L in the JK is louder and has more vibrations that in both of the other vehicles at idle. Also, my father's RAM runs better than the JK and gets 5mpg better on the highway despite the fact it is a much larger vehicle, hahaha.


'97 ZJ 4L-OME HD's,Bilsteins,31's,MSD,Magneflow cat,Flowmaster,2.5" exhaust, Brake Controller
Spike6901 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #377 of 516 Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 PM
badtux
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 947
The gasoline that I put into my 2012 has had 10% ethanol since day 1, because that's all that's allowed to be sold here in California. Still no problems with my Pentastar engine.

One thing I did do from early on was change out the oil for a good synthetic. I put in Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and it seems to like that. If I put in Mobil 1 5w30 it sounds a bit "tappy", so that oil didn't last long in my engine (I dropped it and replaced it). Same thing with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, it sounded a bit tappy, so I dropped it and replaced it. So it's getting the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 because that's what it likes. Engines are like cats, if they don't like what you're feeding them, they tend to poop in your slippers and stuff .

Dog: Man's best friend. Cat: Man's weird reclusive roommate who poops in a box.
badtux is offline  
post #378 of 516 Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Jamnut
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Liberty
Posts: 2
I have a 2012 sport and I just had to change the driver's side head at 30 K miles.

If you will not stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them
Jamnut is offline  
post #379 of 516 Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 PM
badtux
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 947
I'm at 34k miles right now. All still well with my Pentastar.

Dog: Man's best friend. Cat: Man's weird reclusive roommate who poops in a box.
badtux is offline  
post #380 of 516 Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 PM
durable1
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 223
25,300 on my 2012. No problems.
durable1 is offline  
post #381 of 516 Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM
brianjw
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj
Its going to be brought to the surface soon on the culprit that causes the low % of failures to the VVT Pentastar engines. I know this, because I had/have 2 jeeps with the Penastar engines. 2012/ 2013 and have HAD 0 problems News flash "cheap, corn gas" adds to the premature wear to non metal/ metal fuel system components.
You see it's being well proven that the damage to valve train components is quite real .And you have to trace this down to the fuel! And Fuel only!

Chrysler is going to be forced to change the description to the Pentastar motor to being labeled for Non Flex fuel applications.

The one common thread that those owners who had to get a overhaul to their new jeep is so plain.
Using crap gas! I am not talking about the % of octane I am talking about Flex fuels and other corn mixed fuels.
The VVT aspect/features of this engine is compromised by putting in these harmful blended fuels ...............
I am not a big time mechanic but its just so plain and simple. I use Real gas or modify the corn gas with additives that neutralize the harmful effects of "gas a hol." And again I have had 0 problems from the 1st mile to the 30 k mile on these Jeeps! Happy trails.
You're joking I assume?

Jeep sold the product in this market. 10% ethanol is common, almost the norm in many places.
They know this, and it is their responsibility to design an engine capability of operating in these conditions.
Funny I don't hear every other manufacturer running around with head problems and blaming it on fuel.
brianjw is offline  
post #382 of 516 Old 01-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Bockwinkle
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Parsippany
Posts: 88
2012 here with 1200 miles that I bought last month and runs great....have been listening for the tick
Bockwinkle is offline  
post #383 of 516 Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 AM
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
You're joking I assume?


Funny I don't hear every other manufacturer running around with head problems and blaming it on fuel.
You did not read my post in totality. With all due respect, I am just giving a hypothesis, to a culprit that has been proven by many techs to cause engine damage. I said earlier I am not a tech. But unlike many in here that are poking at Chrysler and its so called deficiencies on the Pentastar,I have owned a couple Jeeps with this type of engine.So I am using my experience here. In response to the comment on other engines and manufactures not having issues, I have to dissagree. I will not compaire the VVT of the Pentastar with any other motor. This motor is different in many ways vs the Ford Triton or Chevy LS for example. imo Can you say miles of Timing Chain?

But hey its just an opinion. I will do here just like I do with the guys and gals that harp on the notion that no fuel comes in contact to internal engine parts, to justifythat fuel could never cause engine issues. I will just agree to dissagree.

Thanks
94beachxj is offline  
post #384 of 516 Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 AM
NIUPonyBoy
Registered User
 
NIUPonyBoy's Avatar
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: wausau
Posts: 917
My jeep goes in for new heads when I get back. 14,200 on my 2013.

'13 Explorer, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
NIUPonyBoy is offline  
post #385 of 516 Old 01-11-2014, 07:54 AM
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
You're joking I assume?

Jeep sold the product in this market. 10% ethanol is common, almost the norm in many places.
They know this, and it is their responsibility to design an engine capability of operating in these conditions.
l.
Again I am not trying to start a fuel debate, But this entitlement attitude is now shared by many Americans on many issues unfortunately.

I remember when Crown came out with this blended fuels in the 80's.
I wish I could of came back at Ford and had them replace my injectors for free on my Tempo, because quote:" they did not make a car that could run on corn" lol

Of course this was before the " new world order"

SO Who will/should take the blame for the H2o IN your engine's crankcase and other vital areas that Corn causes moisture in?

Obama?

See my point?

Peace.
94beachxj is offline  
post #386 of 516 Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 AM
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
My jeep goes in for new heads when I get back. 14,200 on my 2013.
A 2013 with "new designed " heads? Getting "new heads"?

This is the Newer???? New head replacement?

Hmmmmm So the different/same Newer Head will correct it?

Or just get you 14k more miles?

OK.

BTW My 2012 runs great and My 2013 unlimited is even better. But the fuel choice I make has no bearing? Ok.
94beachxj is offline  
post #387 of 516 Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 AM
94beachxj
Registered User
1994 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Surry
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
The gasoline that I put into my 2012 has had 10% ethanol since day 1, because that's all that's allowed to be sold here in California. Still no problems with my Pentastar engine.

One thing I did do from early on was change out the oil for a good synthetic. I put in Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and it seems to like that. If I put in Mobil 1 5w30 it sounds a bit "tappy", so that oil didn't last long in my engine (I dropped it and replaced it). Same thing with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, it sounded a bit tappy, so I dropped it and replaced it. So it's getting the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 because that's what it likes. Engines are like cats, if they don't like what you're feeding them, they tend to poop in your slippers and stuff .
Thanks for posting how your pentastar did after going Syn. I have been waiting and chomping at the bits to get Ams-oil in the crankcase. But so far Chrysler has no syn oil or any after mrk oil that meets the manufactures specs.

I will wait. Taps is only best heard on a on a bugle, not a engine..............
94beachxj is offline  
post #388 of 516 Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 AM
NIUPonyBoy
Registered User
 
NIUPonyBoy's Avatar
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: wausau
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
A 2013 with "new designed " heads? Getting "new heads"?

This is the Newer???? New head replacement?

Hmmmmm So the different/same Newer Head will correct it?

Or just get you 14k more miles?

OK.

BTW My 2012 runs great and My 2013 unlimited is even better. But the fuel choice I make has no bearing? Ok.
No idea, I had mentioned a "tick" when I was there for other warranty work and they said they had to order the head. I'm beyond caring what's wrong with this thing any more.

'13 Explorer, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
NIUPonyBoy is offline  
post #389 of 516 Old 01-11-2014, 12:20 PM
SamM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fairview
Posts: 36
I've got almost 10,000 on my 2013. I purchased the LifeMax warranty because of the engine issues. It's their baby!

SamM
SamM is offline  
post #390 of 516 Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Spank
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
Its going to be brought to the surface soon on the culprit that causes the low % of failures to the VVT Pentastar engines. I know this, because I had/have 2 jeeps with the Penastar engines. 2012/ 2013 and have HAD 0 problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
You did not read my post in totality. With all due respect, I am just giving a hypothesis, to a culprit that has been proven by many techs to cause engine damage. I said earlier I am not a tech. But unlike many in here that are poking at Chrysler and its so called deficiencies on the Pentastar,I have owned a couple Jeeps with this type of engine.So I am using my experience here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
Again I am not trying to start a fuel debate, But this entitlement attitude is now shared by many Americans on many issues unfortunately.
I apologize if I'm being ignorant here, but what the **** are you talking about?

'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Spank is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Pentastar Price? Terrain Twister JK Wrangler Technical Forum 16 02-06-2014 04:42 PM
RIPP Pentastar dwink JK Wrangler Technical Forum 1 02-08-2012 01:03 PM
JK Pentastar 3.6 in China thejdj JK Wrangler Technical Forum 5 07-01-2011 02:52 PM
No Wrangler Pentastar? ARTSBEST Wrangler General Discussion 12 04-10-2009 01:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome