How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Closed Thread
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #361
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I drive over the road for a living,and the newer Volvo tractors do a simular thing on the AC thing. I can be going down the road for 5 hrs, then stop somewhere and idle a bit then it starts blowing hot air out of the vents. I asked the shop if its a defrost mode or something. They said "who knows".......................lol.

94beachxj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #362
tjthorson
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94beachxj View Post
I drive over the road for a living,and the newer Volvo tractors do a simular thing on the AC thing. I can be going down the road for 5 hrs, then stop somewhere and idle a bit then it starts blowing hot air out of the vents. I asked the shop if its a defrost mode or something. They said "who knows".......................lol.
This is different. The compressor continues to run. The blower actually turns off for 5 seconds or so, and comes right back on. The lights on the cluster stay on - this is the ECM controlling the blower motor itself (probably a CAN BUS bug).
And it always happens during a consistent scenario - however, it isn't repeatable, doesn't do ti all the time.

But - you must have - A/C on, blower on high, hot day, engine running for approx. 2 minutes. It will do it once per key cycle only. Not enough to be a problem - just annoying more then anything.
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #363
lasvegasguy12

My 2012 JKU goes in today for a head replacement. I took it in 30 days ago after the CEL light came on. After 5 minutes the service manager said it was the head and it needed to be replaced. He said he needed to order the part and would call me when it arrived to schedule the appointment. We are doing it over Thanksgiving when we won't need the Jeep for the rest of the week. This should give them plenty of time to take care of the problem properly. So far for being a major repair Chrysler has been very pleasant to work with. Maybe they aren't fighting the issue anymore and are just replacing heads without blinking. Now I'll wait and see how it sounds and drives after I pick it up. I'm so glad it was found during the warranty period. I really feel bad for the people that found this after the warranty. Ouch!
lasvegasguy12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #364
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasguy12 View Post
Maybe they aren't fighting the issue anymore and are just replacing heads without blinking. Now I'll wait and see how it sounds and drives after I pick it up. I'm so glad it was found during the warranty period. I really feel bad for the people that found this after the warranty. Ouch!
ok? like getting a oil change. You know how few people that own new jeeps are even on this page compared to the total sales? They still can not keep one in stock?

yea but it has two heads not one. so how long till the right bank goes? since it starts on left head..total BS. The new head? We and the public who buys new are now the BETA testers, as they know how the alpha went in its what 5 years of testing to get this. Remember this motor was being used BEFORE wranglers, not like it was new to 12"s. I feel like my Jeep was built by EA or .GOV. you but it, you are the tester, it won't work, they try to patch it as you go. In the end I know my 012 will end up looking like and perhaps even powered by something closer to my 1966. I just did not think so soon.............I mean its kinda hard to carry a spare head on the road and trails? i might be able to pack it in there? Na i would drop a Ls in it before i put any money in this design. its like a tampon....
Unread 11-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #365
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I Don't think the other 90% of owners that have (((no ticks or codes))) with the pentastar engine, will agree with your comment on Chrysler. I totally understand your frustration and confusion on this so called "defect". I just say be glad they are honoring your warranty on this. There was a day in the past ...... if the dealership could prove that you used bad fuel, oil, and/or improper break-in procedures on your new car, it would void all warranties.. I have had a 2012 and 2013 Wrangler with this engine. I have had 0 trouble. Now I did follow all the break -in guidelines as well as using proper "good" fuels and oils! I am 2 for 2......................so far.
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #366
TOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
ok? like getting a oil change. You know how few people that own new jeeps are even on this page compared to the total sales? They still can not keep one in stock?
This isn't just a Jeep issue. There are a lot of other Chryslers with Pentastars that have bum heads in them. My buddy works for a Dodge dealer and has done about half a dozen minivans and a couple Challengers. Might still be tough for a smaller dealer to keep inventory.
TOK is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #367
NIUPonyBoy
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am fairly certain my heep has developed a tick, however no CEL at this time (it's had enough of those and repairs for other things) but I am going to drive it to see if the light pops again or if the sound "gets worse." It is faint, but as is common, I heard it more when it was running next to a building.
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #368
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is there another way to tell besides waiting for a CEL?
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #369
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Is there another way to tell besides waiting for a CEL?
The tick is one of the biggest indicators, but the bad head will also result in a loss of power. However, it doesn't happen overnight.
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #370
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank

The tick is one of the biggest indicators, but the bad head will also result in a loss of power. However, it doesn't happen overnight.
That's what I've been thinking with mine. However I'm sure if I pull into the dealer and they see its lifted with 35s, bumper, top etc they are going to say "loss of power huh?" I asked them about the minor ticking and they said "well it could be an exhaust leak" and shrugged it off.

But I installed the lift and 35s at 700 miles and do feel as if the engine has become progressively weaker. when it's hot out it will occasionally ping climbing a hill.

No CEL yet so the dealer doesn't care. When my water pump gets loud enough to take it in I'll press the issue again.
brianjw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #371
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't understand why Chrysler doesn't stand behind there product more. Not knocking the 3.6L because I know power wise its a running little dude but, it seems for all the talk there's more bad than good to say about it. I have a family member who works at one of the Jeep dealerships in the parts department and they have filled his head with how great this engine is and how wicked it was. From what I have seen and people I have talked to that actually own one are not so happy all around especially when they have paid 30 to 40 k on this vehicle. I know things have there kinks but, Jeep should have already figured this engine out by now. Its not like it was released a week ago. I guess when Chrysler doesn't change something to much over 20 years or so its actually fairly decent and they can't have that lol.
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #372
captnrick
2012 JK Wrangler 

A/C Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjthorson View Post
This is different. The compressor continues to run. The blower actually turns off for 5 seconds or so, and comes right back on. The lights on the cluster stay on - this is the ECM controlling the blower motor itself (probably a CAN BUS bug).
And it always happens during a consistent scenario - however, it isn't repeatable, doesn't do ti all the time.

But - you must have - A/C on, blower on high, hot day, engine running for approx. 2 minutes. It will do it once per key cycle only. Not enough to be a problem - just annoying more then anything.
My 2012 does EXACTLY the same thing, I decided some time ago that is was just a quirk in programming, not a problem.
captnrick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #373
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

So went to start the Jeep this morning for the first time this AM. I noticed noticed a 2 or 5 sec ticking. Maybe I am reading to many threads about this issue and am becoming hyper sensitive.

This is the first time I am noticing it. Now mind you I have not driven the Jeep lately, It's been inside for the past week due to rainy weather. I do plan to drive it all next week.
Maybe it's because it was parked? But I did move it around the drive way to get it out of my way yesterday. Don't remember if it ticked or not. But it did this AM for sure.

And even after letting it run for a bit I turned it off and restarted. still a little (2 -5 sec ) tick.

Only 800 miles on the Jeep.

Ill be keeping an eye on this.

Edit: Update : Well i just started it again and no tick. So I wonder if it was because it was sitting so long . The oil drained out of it?
I remember my straight 6 jeep made that noise if i left it all week without running it.
Now that was a builtproof engine. To bad they dropped that.

Well i got 5yrs and 100K so see how it goes.
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #374
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

If it ticks it's bad. My 12 ticked, bad head. My 13, no tick, silent at idle except for sound of a well tuned motor at idle.

The 3.6 has been around since 2009, most issues developed in rental cars, dealer rep told me they had replaced hundreds of those heads. That's one dealer.

Here is a picture of what the head looks like with its integrated exhaust manifold. Not saying it's good or bad, but they did manage to knock off about 90 plus lbs from the engine from previos designs. might have to scroll down http://www.pentastars.com/engines/production.php

Interesting website; notes that engines have cast in place iron cylinder sleeves with no ability to remove or replace and they only have one piston size, so no rebore at this time.
73azbronco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #375
94beachxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Its going to be brought to the surface soon on the culprit that causes the low % of failures to the VVT Pentastar engines. I know this, because I had/have 2 jeeps with the Penastar engines. 2012/ 2013 and have HAD 0 problems News flash "cheap, corn gas" adds to the premature wear to non metal/ metal fuel system components.
You see it's being well proven that the damage to valve train components is quite real .And you have to trace this down to the fuel! And Fuel only!

Chrysler is going to be forced to change the description to the Pentastar motor to being labeled for Non Flex fuel applications.

The one common thread that those owners who had to get a overhaul to their new jeep is so plain.
Using crap gas! I am not talking about the % of octane I am talking about Flex fuels and other corn mixed fuels.
The VVT aspect/features of this engine is compromised by putting in these harmful blended fuels ...............
I am not a big time mechanic but its just so plain and simple. I use Real gas or modify the corn gas with additives that neutralize the harmful effects of "gas a hol." And again I have had 0 problems from the 1st mile to the 30 k mile on these Jeeps! Happy trails.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.