How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Closed Thread
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #181
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
August of 2011. The dealership here cleared the code and wants me to wait until it returns before taking action. There is no ticking noise, so hopefully it's a bad plug or wire and its just coincidence that it's cylinder 2.

Chrysler dealerships in my city will do whatever they can to avoid repairing modified Jeeps. I certainly don't expect them to cover things that I damage or break on wheeling trips, but if they so much as see a lift or a new set of tires, they freak the **** out. That being said, I have yet to take a Jeep to one of the local dealerships here and have them repair it correctly the first time without giving me any BS. Dropping a Jeep off, having the dealership address the issue correctly and in a timely manner (ie: getting the job done right the first time), and getting it back to me without any grief has never happened.

I had to take my Jeep to a dealership outside of the county to get my TOB replaced that ate it at 2,500 miles. The two dealerships here wouldn't fix it because my skidplate was dented, which signified "excessive vehicle abuse" resulting in "massive damage." This was before I even lifted it. The service tech at one dealership was actually surprised and upset at the fact that I took my vehicle with the word "Rubicon" affixed to the hood onto trails that feature dirt and rock surfaces.
If you read that ALLpar thread what your dealer did was this. Cleared the code and changed the amount of faults it takes to make to code happen. P203 Cyc2 miss fire or better known as the "dead head". In the meantime they ordered the head. Dealers are a 1 head a week limit or so to keep any one dealer from hording. Since Jeeps are coming off the assembly line as fast as they can make them replacments are short. The bad news it seems this trouble is going past the 012 as well.

some dealers have over 500 on wait. from what I read.

have warranty keep it extend it, may your penta live long and prosper

Unread 05-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #182
Spike6901

Well, not long ago I posted on this thread that at 15k miles, mine was doing good.

At 17k, the head went sour so new one going on next week. It is a two week wait for the parts alone.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #183
devilsfiddle
2008 JK Wrangler 

Really? Is it drivable?
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #184
Spike6901

Yeah, just makes noise on a cold start and check engine light is on. I told them to either give me a car to drive or give me the Jeep back until the parts arrive. They gave me the Jeep back.
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #185
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike6901
Yeah, just makes noise on a cold start and check engine light is on. I told them to either give me a car to drive or give me the Jeep back until the parts arrive. They gave me the Jeep back.
They may regret that.
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #186
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just discovered my 2012JKU Auto with 7800 miles has misfired twice at cyl 2. As long as its covered I take it in stride. My MPG has always been in the 15.5 range but has recntly dropped to 14.5. Such is life - it will be fixed.
Orange1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #187
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
Any 2013's with engine problems? I'm trying to figure a time frame if/ when Jeep fixed the problem with the heads.
8000 on my 2013 JK. No issues so far!

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #188
Rivet
1968 C101 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
8000 on my 2013 JK. No issues so far!

Mike
That is good to hear!
8K miles is when my '12 started to give up the ghost.
Rivet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #189
aha

19K miles on my JKU in 1 year and no engine problems.
aha is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #190
Scormunch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scormunch
Mine (Aug 11 build) sits at 12,000 miles exactly. Quiet ticking equal volume from all sides of the engine, it sounds very similar to my Civic SI so I'm assuming lifters/injectors/something normal. With 33x12.5's, 6spd and 3.21's I have a lifetime average of 20.8 mpg, and with every single fuel receipt since new I'm keeping track of any MPG loss (nothing so far, it's actually getting better with age).
Update: Just hit 25,000. Engine sounds identical to my works new 2013 sport which is a good sign. My mileage has dropped from the 20.8 above to around 19.2 but I attribute that to spending a lot of time at the beach in 4low during the summer.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Scormunch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #191
mike95376
2012 JK Wrangler 

8K no problems. I run full synthetic Amsoil oil.
Keep in mind that the check engine light comes on to 'remind' you to change your oil. Just reset it. Key on, engine off, press accelerator to floor and release 3 times.
Then key off. You can then resume normal operation. (I'm doing this from my old man memory so...) If it keeps coming on then get a code reader.

Editorial...
Modern vehicles ALL suck. They ALL break down. They have gotten extremely complex electrically and they have very tight tolerances mechanically. It's just a matter of luck in getting a good one. My Ford F-250 diesel had 2 recalls. One for not running, camshaft position sensor. And one for spontaneously catching on fire after it was shut off, brake sensor dripping fluid on hot exhaust. But I still have it. I figure it's a case of "the devil you know verses the devil you don't". Other problems that were not recalls included these. Uncommanded acceleration (in reverse for me), bad accelerator pedal assembly. Try remembering to turn key off when truck is peeling out in reverse. This is a class action lawsuit. I got a letter. And bad O rings on high pressure oil pump. Picture Exxon Valdez in your driveway. Oh the diesel engine had 14 quarts of oil in it. High pressure is 3,500psi. It can drain an oil pan in a hurry.
Ah the stories. Gotta love them. Keep smiling.
mike95376 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #192
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJsport33s View Post
I have almost 3k miles and not the first problem. I would hope so! This is what I read on the Pentastar website:
Cylinder head failures (to mid-2012)

In June 2012, dealers reported that some engines had premature cylinder head failures, usually on cylinder 2. The problem seems rare considering the number of these engines produced, and nobody was stranded by the problem, which made itself known through the “check engine” light. Customers were generally given loaner cars while the issue was being resolved, though in some cases there was a considerable delay as Chrysler engineers sought root causes (which include “bad gas”) and an effective cure. A fix (hardened valve guides and seats) was engineered and entered production in June, and by mid-July, the backlog of replacement heads was being addressed, and all new heads were of the new design.
Most vehicles with this problem appear to be Jeep Wranglers, and a service bulletin was issued for Wranglers built before January 24, 2012 ([COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]MDH[/COLOR][/COLOR] 0124XX) seems to be designed to prevent “false positive” check-engine lights.
Any model year 2013 and newer car or Jeep or truck should have the new heads. A “Julian” build date of 2062 (the 206th day of 2012) stamped on the cylinder head shows that it is one of the newer types. The part numbers of the new heads are RL141353AC or higher (left side) and RL141352AD (right side).
Is the Julian date stamped somewhere visible where I can see it?

Thanks
Mike
Wrigley is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #193
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95376 View Post
8K no problems. I run full synthetic Amsoil oil.
Keep in mind that the check engine light comes on to 'remind' you to change your oil. Just reset it. Key on, engine off, press accelerator to floor and release 3 times.
Then key off. You can then resume normal operation. (I'm doing this from my old man memory so...) If it keeps coming on then get a code reader.
Speaking of Amsoil...what have you been using for a filter? I saw their website had no recommendations and I'm going to be throwing some in this weekend. And yes my 2013 is still fine, just about 7000 km
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #194
ss44camaro
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper

Speaking of Amsoil...what have you been using for a filter? I saw their website had no recommendations and I'm going to be throwing some in this weekend. And yes my 2013 is still fine, just about 7000 km
Napa gold or wix.
ss44camaro is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #195
Spike6901

Quick update: 16 days past now and the dealership is so backed up replacing 3.6L heads that there is a long wait. So, I may get in by the end of next week. When mine went, 12 more JK's in my area did around the same time.

I am starting to have a secondary issue other than the check engine light but I think it is related. About once a day, the engine shuts itself down for about 1 second and the gauges all drop to zero. It chimes at me and then restors to 'normal' operation. So, hopefully it does not self destruct in the next week or so while I wait. I am not comfotable taking any extended trips at this point, certianly not wheeling ones.

So I am missing out on a wheeling day trip with a local club this weekend.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.