How many have Pentastar engines that are OK? - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have Pentastar engines that are OK?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #136
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

im doing one today actually.

ripped apart

fancy new head

old head. can you tell which cylinder? haha

QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #137
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremzj View Post
im doing one today actually.

ripped apart

fancy new head

old head. can you tell which cylinder? haha

What specifically is wrong with the old head? And did they finally stop putting those in the new builds? I have a 2013(build date Nov)
jutgin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #138
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

from what ive heard Chrysler wont actually release whats wrong with it. (I have my theories) If they do that then they make a TSB, if they make a TSB then it turns into a **** show.
Unread 12-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #139
Matoskah
2012 JK Wrangler 

The issue has to do with two things. 1. Hardness of valve seats. 2. Water boiling in a "trapped" spot. Correction went into production in March 2012. If you made it through this summer most likely you will never have an issue.
Unread 12-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #140
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

That's my theory but nothing is confirmed. But I've seen evidence for other things too.

Ehhhhhh if you made it past this summer it just that it's due to luck. We do about 2 a week and know dealers who do far more then that. We can stall you by doing the reflash that's usally when we order the head and whatknot because you will be back in with a CEL in a week.
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #141
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoskah View Post
The issue has to do with two things. 1. Hardness of valve seats. 2. Water boiling in a "trapped" spot. Correction went into production in March 2012. If you made it through this summer most likely you will never have an issue.

so if my jeep was made prior to march 2012 i can expect to have this issue ? I have 10,000 miles now and seems like no problem so far .....except water leak over passenger side door

Dan nj/pa
djm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #142
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine's a Feb build. I've over 17k miles at this point...just waiting for it.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #143
rcsmith
2012 JK Wrangler 

My engine light came on again last night. I took it to the dealership this morning. I now have the dubious honor of being the first Jeep customer to require the 2/4/6 head replacement a second time. The first time was at 12 K. Now again, at 27K. I hope this bi-annual replacement doesn't continue. RCS
rcsmith is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #144
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsmith
My engine light came on again last night. I took it to the dealership this morning. I now have the dubious honor of being the first Jeep customer to require the 2/4/6 head replacement a second time. The first time was at 12 K. Now again, at 27K. I hope this bi-annual replacement doesn't continue. RCS

Have you requested or been offered an extended warranty on the engine? Because I think I would be demanding it.
brianjw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #145
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

Not up to the dealership. Call Chrysler direct for that.
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #146
Rivet
1968 C101 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsmith View Post

Is there a reason why you haven't started the buy back or lemon law process? I feel your pain bro. Been through it with my JK.

I would suggest getting out of your current Jeep and work on getting your money back and or a replacement.
Rivet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #147
rcsmith
2012 JK Wrangler 

In Maryland, the lemon law states the repair must be attempted 4 times in the first 18 months. This is only number two. I hope I don't reach two more by June 2013!

R.C. Smith
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #148
HungryHeart
2012 JK Wrangler 

build date 12/11. I hear ticking but ony when cold. afterwards, hums like a girlfriend.
This forum has been great for me. But for someone as compulsive as I am, it creates paranoia.
Tonight I found myself in a convenience store parking lot with my ear to the hood listening for ticking. What a strange fella.
HungryHeart is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #149
Rivet
1968 C101 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsmith View Post
In Maryland, the lemon law states the repair must be attempted 4 times in the first 18 months. This is only number two. I hope I don't reach two more by June 2013!

R.C. Smith

What a pain. Good luck with it all.
Rivet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #150
rcsmith
2012 JK Wrangler 

The dealership has arranged for and is paying for a rental vehicle. :-) Can't say I'm happy with a minivan, but the dealership doesn't control that. They did the right thing. Now I'm riding in humiliation until the back ordered parts arrive.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.