How many have left the soft top in the back? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have left the soft top in the back?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #16
PatrickBateman

Ya I'm the kind of person that once I have something in my head to do, I hate putting it off...I want the soft top out...I worry about damaging it since it rests right on the rear window 'compression tubes' or whatever theyre called...

OK, I'll go through the manual of what to do, and start watching the weather..its supposed to warm up over the next few weeks.

Is the tool I need to remove the hardtop something common in a general socket/tool set, or am I gonna have to be buying special bits now too?

PatrickBateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #17
wranged
2015 JK Wrangler 

I asked the dealer to take it out before I took delivery since it is 20 degrees out. I also should mention that I loaded it in my wife's Discovery when she dropped me off to pick up the JK. If you have a way to get it home, it may be an alterantive for those who have not taken delivery yet.
wranged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #18
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Is the tool I need to remove the hardtop something common in a general socket/tool set, or am I gonna have to be buying special bits now too?
You need a T40 and a T30 to deal with this stuff. Just go buy yourself a set of Torx sockets and make sure those two are in there. You definitely will want to use a ratchet with an extender for this job.

Cheers!
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #19
PatrickBateman

ok, thanks, ill check my tools tomorrow too...i wish i had had the dealer take it out...but then my hardtop would probably leak haha
Unread 02-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #20
hypractv
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine has been in the back for a few weeks. Finally got warm enough to pull it out today.
Unread 02-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #21
PatrickBateman

Do I need a SOCKET set of torx, or can I just pick up a t40 and a t30 screwdriver???

The manual shows them using a screwdriver...
Unread 02-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #22
hypractv
2008 JK Wrangler 

While you can get away with using a flat head screwdriver to get the screws off, I would pick up a torx multi tool so that you have different sizes. You may eventually need them.
Unread 02-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #23
PatrickBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypractv
While you can get away with using a flat head screwdriver to get the screws off, I would pick up a torx multi tool so that you have different sizes. You may eventually need them.
ya for sure, ill look for a multitool torx screwdriver, or just the 2 specific ones for now, thanks. i wouldnt use a flat head in there anyways...afterall, its a jeep...its not like its an H3 or something where it wouldnt matter
Unread 02-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #24
JeF4y

I did it myself with my 2 kids in about 30 minutes. I needed the space and had no desire to risk damaging the soft-top. At $1500 or so for a replacement, it wasn't worth the few minutes it was going to take me.
Unread 02-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #25
deadspot

I was going to put it off myself but yesterday I went through with it. I had to find the T40 and T30 drivers the day before (had to go to sears to find a set). I got a screwdriver type but almost wish I had like an allen key type for more leverage (if there is such a thing).

I did struggle for a second with that wiper wiring connection - took me a few minutes to figure it out. I also didn't bother checking that I needed to unscrew the softtop bracket off the rollbar (with a T-30).

I had two people life the top up enough for me to pull out the softtop. The hardest part was getting the screws off - they seemed tight and there is litte room for leverage.

I think the best part was seeing the jeep with the freedom top panels off for the first time (cold here). Can't wait for spring!!!
deadspot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #26
jeepers3

Well, I went out and got one of those things that has 6 or 7 torx wrenches in a handle - maybe that's what you're calling a multi-tool, I dunno. Anyway, the thing didn't work for crap. Not enough leverage, made my hand hurt, and couldn't get a good angle.

I went back in the garage and got my torx sockets, ratchet, and extender. That made the job MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH easier. So, while you can go with something else, I dunno why you would want to. I imagine putting the thing back ON with something other than a ratchet would just be miserable.

Cheers!
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #27
PatrickBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
Well, I went out and got one of those things that has 6 or 7 torx wrenches in a handle - maybe that's what you're calling a multi-tool, I dunno. Anyway, the thing didn't work for crap. Not enough leverage, made my hand hurt, and couldn't get a good angle.

I went back in the garage and got my torx sockets, ratchet, and extender. That made the job MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH easier. So, while you can go with something else, I dunno why you would want to. I imagine putting the thing back ON with something other than a ratchet would just be miserable.

Cheers!
Ok...I have a T30 bit, not a T40...maybe Ill just get the socket type for them...thanks.
Unread 02-13-2007, 07:41 AM   #28
deadspot

Actually, on second thought and after seeing the previous post, I would go with the socket type if you haven't purchased anything yet - I saw them at the store but opted for the screwdriver. I totally agree that the socket type would provide the best option in terms of leverage.
deadspot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #29
JeF4y

For the record, any excuse to buy more tools is a good one...
Unread 02-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #30
PatrickBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspot
Actually, on second thought and after seeing the previous post, I would go with the socket type if you haven't purchased anything yet - I saw them at the store but opted for the screwdriver. I totally agree that the socket type would provide the best option in terms of leverage.
I ended up getting a multi tool one, where you can use them at 90 degrees or straight like a screwdriver...10 bucks at canadian tire...seems like it should do the trick. thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.