How many have left the soft top in the back? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How many have left the soft top in the back?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
PatrickBateman

How many have left the soft top in the back?

as it was when you got it brand new? the sticker on mine says to 'remove' one of them...but it looks like a pain in the *** to do, especially now that its winter...

PatrickBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
franx

yeah same here, too cold for now.. wish I could take it out thought.....

I might try to do it this weekend in my father in law's garage...

will give a bit more space in the trunk !!!
franx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
PatrickBateman

I looked at it...I guess its OK in there, although I worry about it getting damaged....looks like a pain in the *** to get out of there though....
Unread 02-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
RLandis
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I made the dealer take it out when the car was being delivered....it took 3 guys in service dept. almost 45 minutes. Then they had to readjust the doors, which weren't closing properly. It's a job, and if I were you, I'd go to the dealer, get them to remove the soft top and lay it down in the back.
RLandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Marauderk
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like it would rub thru in spots after awhile

2007 Rescue Green 2d Rubicon 6 speed soft top
Rubicon express 3.5 superflex system,35 in interco truxs mt's, skidrow skid plates, Killby muffler plate
Marauderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Rokitt

To reomve the hard top on my 2 door involved one wiring connector and six screws. It was off in less than 15 minutes and my wife and I lifted it off easily. The hardest part (if you call it that) was removing the soft top brackets that mount to the roll bar. Just make sure that you have the right size torx bit,ratchet and extension for removing the screws. You will laugh at yourself for dreading doing it once its removed..
Rokitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
Margueritte

Additional benefit of hard top. It is much easier to load stuff in the back of the JK with the hard top on-- You just flip up the window. Ootherwise you have to unclip and unzip the window-- maybe not a big deal unless you need to do it often or it is really cold.
Margueritte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLandis
I made the dealer take it out when the car was being delivered....it took 3 guys in service dept. almost 45 minutes. Then they had to readjust the doors, which weren't closing properly. It's a job, and if I were you, I'd go to the dealer, get them to remove the soft top and lay it down in the back.
This must be the dealer that has 7 guys to change a light bulb.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
jimmyjack

Mine's still there in the original warning packaging. It was freakin 10 below zero this week -- it's gonna stay until spring. I'm not worried about damage - I've had 4 soft top jeeps in my life and they are not made out of tissue -- went almost a whole summer with a soft top in the down position and there was no friction issues.

The only bummer is the lack of available room for STUFF. I can wait.
jimmyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i took my top out of the back first chance i had

after the hardtop is out, the soft top will come right out

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
mc22958
2008 WK 

My wife and I took the soft top out the day after we took delivery. You need a #40 torx bit to undo the top bolts. It took us all of about fifteen minutes.
mc22958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
PatrickBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc22958
My wife and I took the soft top out the day after we took delivery. You need a #40 torx bit to undo the top bolts. It took us all of about fifteen minutes.
seriously, 15 minutes?? the manual is in the truck, but is there specific instructions for just taking out the softop how it is packaged from the factory???

Thanks.
Unread 02-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
qdzlug

It took my brother-in-law and I probably around 40 minutes to take the hard top off, take the soft top off, and then put the hard top back off. 6 T-40 bolts to take off the hardtop (once you remove the panels) and 4 T-30 bolts to take off the soft top.

I wasn't worried about it rubbing, I just wanted the extra space. Of course, I did have the luxury of doing this when it was a relatively balmy 40 degrees out - don't know if I would be attempting it in sub-zero temps unless I was in a heated garage....
qdzlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #14
PatrickBateman

ya its gotta be warmer here for me to do this...f'ing freezing out...thanks!
Unread 02-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
as it was when you got it brand new? the sticker on mine says to 'remove' one of them...but it looks like a pain in the *** to do, especially now that its winter...
I did it in winter - and I live in Alaska.

It is painless. 8 screws, pop the top off. Take the soft top out, put the hard top back on. You just need someone to help you. It's easy. I would not hesitate to do this if I were you.

Cheers!
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.