[How To] Install Remote Start in 08-09 Wrangler JK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > [How To] Install Remote Start in 08-09 Wrangler JK

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 04-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
peeweejd
2014 JK Wrangler 

i really wanted remote start on my jeep. I wanted a stick more though.

that is a nice writeup too!!

peeweejd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #17
Av8terZ06
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Will this system work on a Jeep without power windows/locks?

My wife enjoys the remote start during the winter, but a Jeep doesn't need electric windows and stuff.
Power windows Im sure doesnt matter but Im not sure if it will work without power locks. Part of the process of the remote start is that it locks all doors just before starting. So Im not sure if it will cause an issue or not. The techs at the dealership might be able to disable that part in the computer. Not really sure but I bet it could be done.

2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Sold
1994 Jeep Wrangler Renegade - Sold
Av8terZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #18
monty57
2010 WK 

Thanks

This was a great "how to" write up. I installed mine with the help from the post with no problems in less than 20 minutes. Thanks!
monty57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #19
Av8terZ06
2012 JK Wrangler 

Congrats and good job. Glad I was able to help.

Unread 12-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #20
toyota4x405
2007 JK Wrangler 

Will this work on Jeeps with the security system?
Green Jeep Club Member #254

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTJ View Post
'REAL Jeepers don`t cry about other Jeepers not waving at them!'
toyota4x405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #21
Av8terZ06
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota4x405 View Post
Will this work on Jeeps with the security system?
Mine came with the factory security system and I added the factory remote start afterwards. They are designed to be integrated.

Unread 01-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #22
HEVNBND

Thanks for the writeup. In it you said to "11. Plug in the wire from antenna module into the new WCM and route excess wire under steering column."

I have the same kit and can not find anywhere on the wcm to plug the antenna mudule into. What am I missing? Thanks got any pics?
HEVNBND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #23
Av8terZ06
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEVNBND View Post
Thanks for the writeup. In it you said to "11. Plug in the wire from antenna module into the new WCM and route excess wire under steering column."

I have the same kit and can not find anywhere on the wcm to plug the antenna mudule into. What am I missing? Thanks got any pics?
Its been a while since Ive looked at that but from what I remember is that there were 2 ports on the WCM. I dont have any other pics but I will double check my WCM for the 2nd port and see if I can get a pic for you tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work.

Unread 01-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #24
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzelanore View Post
You cant get it specifically for a manual because it is a safety issue. If you didnt have the parking brake on all the way and had it in gear like most people do when they park (since back in the day they didnt have good parking breaks on thier old manual trani's lol) you could start it and have your Jeep drive itself probably into the garage or another car... anyway, you CAN take it to an alarm instaler or somthing along those lines and pay a **** load to have it installed and have the safety clutch switch disabled though im not sure how to get around it being programmed by the dealership.
If the Chrysler one won't handle a manual, that's just crappy design on their part. Any aftermarket remote start can handle this for you. If the tranny isn't out of gear, the starter won't fire.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #25
Tomszack
2010 JK Wrangler 

I completed this install myself this past friday on my GF's 2010 JK and wanted to share a couple thoughts I had during the process.

Firstly, many thanks to the OP for this write-up. The install by itself is super-straight-forward, but this how-to was still a great help.

1. In retrospect, I believe that one can insert the hood switch wire into the bottom of the 'D' or 'center' connector without ever removing it from the bottom of the relay/fuse box. After removing the bottom cap and rubber seal as described, simply grip the new wire with needle nose pliers and slide it into its designated slot until it clicks in place. Done.

2. I initially had some difficulty finding the phillips head screw which holds the wiper stalk onto the steering column. FYI: This screw is painted black, unlike most of the others which are silver, and if you are sitting in the driver seat (as I was) it's almost invisible. I ended up having to go around to the passenger side of the jeep with a flashlight, shining it on the steering column before I found that darn screw.

3. Probably most importantly, after installing the kit one needs to drive to the dealership for programming. The OP said to hold the old WCM near the key for 3 seconds while engaging the jeep's ignition. This did not work for me and the jeep would stall out after 3 seconds (as it's supposed to).
I (eventually) figured out that the key still needed to go through the ring of the old WCM. Basically I positioned the ring of the old WCM over the ignition and threaded the key through it, and then started the jeep. This was the only way the jeep would stay running. I see the OP installed on an 09, and this may be a new step necessary with the 2010, but for the 5 minutes it took to figure that out, it had me a little concerned.

Otherwise, the install went off without a hitch, and I hope these additional tips help anyone else planning to do this super-easy mod!

Oh, and FWIW, I got the kit on ebay for $190 shipped and paid the second dealer $65 for the programming and key cutting. (The first dealer I called quoted me $120!!! I'm glad I didn't settle and made that second call!)
Anyway, I figure $255 all-in for the OEM remote start is a pretty reasonable price. At least much better than having the dealer do it all and paying them $500+!

Last edited by Tomszack; 05-31-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Tomszack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #26
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

sorry to stir up a oldish thread but wondering where to install my WCM module theres no current location with holes under the dash ... and id hate to drill if not necessary.

thanks
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #27
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

Unread 12-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #28
Tomszack
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclezmarinara View Post
sorry to stir up a oldish thread but wondering where to install my WCM module theres no current location with holes under the dash ... and id hate to drill if not necessary.

thanks

I presume you mean the remote start antenna receiver unit, not the WCM?

the new WCM replaces the old WCM and mounts over the ignition switch on the steering column.

anyway, there are no factory drilled holes that I am aware of for the mounting of the antenna receiver unit.

as described by the OP, and seconded by me, the easiest place to mount the antenna receiver is in the metal plate directly below the steering column. it was really easy to pop two holes in it and tack on the antenna right there.

good luck!
Tomszack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #29
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomszack View Post
I presume you mean the remote start antenna receiver unit, not the WCM?

the new WCM replaces the old WCM and mounts over the ignition switch on the steering column.

anyway, there are no factory drilled holes that I am aware of for the mounting of the antenna receiver unit.

as described by the OP, and seconded by me, the easiest place to mount the antenna receiver is in the metal plate directly below the steering column. it was really easy to pop two holes in it and tack on the antenna right there.

good luck!
I do not have the same plate that is on the JKs .... theres a side mounted plate next to my storage box under the steering column maybe the only logical spot but id love to match OEM....anyone have a KK pic with remote start from factory?
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #30
zamball
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for this write up! I installed mine this weekend! Now just have to go to the dealer!

Tags
how to , installation , JK Wrangler , remote start , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.