Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How the hell do you guys get 18-21 mpg on avearge...

6K views 48 replies 34 participants last post by  guarnibl 
#1 ·
I do the math myself and reset the odometer when i fill up, and i usually end up with 13 mpg average...

I do 90% highway driving at 60-70 mph tops. Even my avg MPG thing never breaks 18.

2500 on the odometer...

#5 ·
Easy. 3.21's, 6 speed, and a 15 mile one way commute with a 55mph speed limit. I set the cruise at 2k rpm in 5th gear and ease on down the road.

No tailgating, no flooring it when the light turns green, no driving like a jack***. Keep that ticker at about 2000 rpm's and you'll get decent mileage.

I get 19.5 MPG +/- 0.5 MPG on every tank; hand caluclated.

#11 ·
I average 24 mpg. Mine's a 2WD, lol.

#12 ·
I can get 19 to 21 on the highway, long trips at 65-70 on mostly flat ground.

Normally though, I get 14-16 because I use my foot and make that V6 work. I have no complaints on power and this JK could run circles around my 04 Sport TJ.

#13 ·
I don't know. I have the 4 door with the same gear ratio as you. In town, lots of short trips I still push around 13-14 (was a bit lower until I went back to stock size tires). On the highway I haven't done a full tank of gas on the smaller tires yet, but my digital gauge was reading 20mpg plus.

I can get decent mileage on long trips, but it does go down quite a bit when I start making those short hops.

#17 ·
i tried playing with the ECO option enabled yesterday to see if i could drive and trigger "ECO-on" in the display.

i failed. keeping the light on would increase my fuel usage sitting at many more lights. i had to accelerate so slowly, and i think my shift points need to be tweaked somehow to deal with the lame local 30, 35, 40 speed limits/traffic speed. the auto kept seeking at a cruising speed, kicking itself out of ECO.

driving my jeep my way is definitely worth the 14-15mpg i get for DD in mostly city traffic, and 17-18 on road trips. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Are you constantly using Cruise control? Most people have no idea how much they actually slow down and speed up on the highways. I've gotten 2-3 mpg more than what's rated on all my vehicles by simply using cruise control on long trips. This of course is'nt always practical, even on the highway, just try to do it as much as you can if you're that worried about it.

#21 ·
You have an '11. Look at the tach. There is a green line on the tach inside of the hash marks. That is the ECO activation zone. With the auto you have to have O/D enabled. Cancelling it wil cancel the ECO on. The green zone is 1000 rpm to about 2000 rpm solid, then truns into hash marks at 2250 rpm. I posted in another thread about ECO on parameters. I used it religiously starting at 1350 miles on the odometer. I managed the get my mileage to 23 and some change. 416.9 miles on 17.669 gallons. The mpg readout started at 12.8 and is now at 13.8 You are definitely not in the power band's sweet spot staying at or below 2000 rpm. But the mpg numbers are there. I have gone back to driving around town with O/D off. I will see what mileage is on the next fill up.

Bob K.

#23 ·
wishful thinking is what I think, that and wanting attention....
But most of the ones I see boasting are stock 2 doors.....I can see them pushing those numbers....

#25 ·
He cant go those slow speeds of 45 he would be cut off and crashed into. cruise control is not really an option either on the LIE unless its way out east on LI. i get about 15-16 mpg on the LIE.

jc

#27 ·
Warning Detour Ahead

I have a 08 2DR JK, auto, 33's and a 1.75" BB. With my superchips tuner I get appx 20-23mpg depending on how much HW and how much city I do.
gonna joins us for a run some time? get on cityprofile.com at http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/usercp.php where we post Tucson group runs. Chalk one up for the trailer giveway and back to your normally scheduled thread;)

#32 ·
All city with 5.13's, that sounds about right to me.... I think the OP is complaining that he's getting that even with highway driving mixed in and onlu 4.10's.

JFD140,
Aren't you the one that hydrolocked your engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.