How To Get +300 HP Out of my Engine ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How To Get +300 HP Out of my Engine ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Closed Thread
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
JeepMaster

How To Get +300 HP Out of my Engine ?

What steps are the best to reach over 300 hp's? I like to drive fast and 200 HP just isnt cutting it. My Jeep is a 2008 stock 4dr JK with stock tires.

JeepMaster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

From all I have read you have two options, maybe three to get real, measurable HP and torque gains. Swap, supercharge programmer.

Swap to a Hemi - there are several outfits/shops which do this. AEV, Burnside (?) Offroad and Jeep Speed Shop are three I've read of, I have an AEV built Jeep on the way.
Instal a RIPP supercharger kit
Instal a Hesco supercharger kit

Also, Jeep Speed Shop does Chevy engine swaps I hear, but I'm not sure if they have the computer bugs worked out yet.

For less gain, you can try Superchips or one of the other programers.

There isn't much in the way of aftermarket HP/torque gear available for the 3.8.

I'm sure others will chime in with other possible options.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Buy a grand cherokee srt8 and dont waste time on going fast in a wrangler. Save us all by driving within speed limits.

Ive see lots of very very mangled vehicles, and cant even start to think about how if at all anyone survived.

But back on topic, if you really want to go fast, do a hemi swap and supercharge it.
robd2003 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
JeepMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPJ View Post
From all I have read you have two options, maybe three to get real, measurable HP and torque gains. Swap, supercharge programmer.

Swap to a Hemi - there are several outfits/shops which do this. AEV, Burnside (?) Offroad and Jeep Speed Shop are three I've read of, I have an AEV built Jeep on the way.
Instal a RIPP supercharger kit
Instal a Hesco supercharger kit

Also, Jeep Speed Shop does Chevy engine swaps I hear, but I'm not sure if they have the computer bugs worked out yet.

For less gain, you can try Superchips or one of the other programers.

There isn't much in the way of aftermarket HP/torque gear available for the 3.8.

I'm sure others will chime in with other possible options.

JPK
I do make a lot of money, about 40k a year, but I don't think that doing an engine swap is very economical. I want to spend maybe $500 bucks tops. I've heard that some guys were squeezing 400hp out of older 4cly Jeeps but that could just be a rumor. I did spend a small fortune on this Jeep, over 16k and it has only 33k miles and the condition is almost new.

I also heard that a hemi is bad for gas mileage. I like my engine now and I want it to get the same good gas mileage if not better. I get almost 16 miles per gallon. Not bad at all.
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
JeepMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
Buy a grand cherokee srt8 and dont waste time on going fast in a wrangler. Save us all by driving within speed limits.

Ive see lots of very very mangled vehicles, and cant even start to think about how if at all anyone survived.

But back on topic, if you really want to go fast, do a hemi swap and supercharge it.
Cherokees are nice but you can't go convertible style like you can in a Jeep.

Plus, I hear those stra8 ones get only 6 to 8 miles per gallon.
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMaster View Post
I do make a lot of money, about 40k a year, but I don't think that doing an engine swap is very economical. I want to spend maybe $500 bucks tops. I've heard that some guys were squeezing 400hp out of older 4cly Jeeps but that could just be a rumor. I did spend a small fortune on this Jeep, over 16k and it has only 33k miles and the condition is almost new.

I also heard that a hemi is bad for gas mileage. I like my engine now and I want it to get the same good gas mileage if not better. I get almost 16 miles per gallon. Not bad at all.
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

The hemi swaps run from about $12k to a multiple or that, so it seems they are out of the question.

The supercharger option is about $5k from what I have read. That also sounds like it is out of the range you are looking to spend.

That leaves the Superchips or other programmers, which I don't know much about, but they can provide additional power while requiring a switch to higher grades of fuel. Choices for 89 ovtane and 91 as well I read. Also, and importantly, you would have the chance to change shift points and eliminate some O/D/gear hunting if your Jeep is an auto.

Hope this helps,

JPK
KPJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
TTUJoe13
1979 CJ7 

Quote:

Ain't happening man, plain and simple.
TTUJoe13 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
robd2003
2002 WJ 

I own the 4.7HO WJ and ive added a programmer to it, puts it close to 300hp and 375tq
custom exhaust work
factory intake
4" of lift and 32" tires i thought the programmer made a difference but i dont see it doing a full 100HP difference at all.. if your only looking to spend $500 to get some extra power, id really look into programmer/exhaust/intake
robd2003 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
SoonerYJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I want 300hp for $500 too.

2011 Flame Red Rubicon (2-Door) with every option.
SoonerYJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #12
JeepMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPJ View Post
The hemi swaps run from about $12k to a multiple or that, so it seems they are out of the question.

The supercharger option is about $5k from what I have read. That also sounds like it is out of the range you are looking to spend.

That leaves the Superchips or other programmers, which I don't know much about, but they can provide additional power while requiring a switch to higher grades of fuel. Choices for 89 ovtane and 91 as well I read. Also, and importantly, you would have the chance to change shift points and eliminate some O/D/gear hunting if your Jeep is an auto.

Hope this helps,

JPK
Premium fuel isnt going to work because I deliver pizzas for a living. Gas is already expensive at $2.70 a gallon here for regular.
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Quote:
I do make a lot of money, about 40k a year, ..........

Cause is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Answer me this.... do you have the 4-speed auto? If so, spend $1200 and get 5.13 gears. You will be surprised at the difference and you will be geared better.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
JeepMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2003 View Post
I own the 4.7HO WJ and ive added a programmer to it, puts it close to 300hp and 375tq
custom exhaust work
factory intake
4" of lift and 32" tires i thought the programmer made a difference but i dont see it doing a full 100HP difference at all.. if your only looking to spend $500 to get some extra power, id really look into programmer/exhaust/intake
Well I guess I could spend a little more after all I make pretty good bank. How much is a good exhaust for a JK and what brand is the best? Will I get better gas mileage?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.