How do you like your hard half doors and soft uppers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How do you like your hard half doors and soft uppers?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
smitkev2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How do you like your hard half doors and soft uppers?

I'd like to get some feedback on the half doors and uppers vs. the hard doors. I had a 04 with half doors and it wasn't too bad but I was wondering if they were improved at all.

Thanks!

WAR EAGLE!
smitkev2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
99TJSport
2008 JK Wrangler 

So far (I've had them about a week) I like them a lot. It was the one thing I missed from my 06 LJ, I had a set for it as well as the hard doors for winter, so now I have them again for my JK and I'm very happy.

Parrothead Jeepers Union #24
99TJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSport View Post
So far (I've had them about a week) I like them a lot. It was the one thing I missed from my 06 LJ, I had a set for it as well as the hard doors for winter, so now I have them again for my JK and I'm very happy.

So how do the ones from LJ compare to your JK? The ones I had on my 95 YJ were absolutely horrible.
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

The half doors on the JK are great. I had them on a YJ years ago and they weren't great on the highway and had no place to put your arm when the uppers were on. The JK ones don't leak hardly at all (little when I park facing up a hill) and they're pretty quiet on the road, and they have a nice level area to rest your arm (although it's a little too high to be overly comfortable). AWESOME with the uppers off though. Way better visibility of your tires when offroad and WAY more comfortable on your arm on and off road.

All that said, when winter hits, the full doors going on is pretty nice too. Quieter, don't have to manually lock all the doors, power windows, etc. Jeep really missed the ball when they didn't offer both sets of doors as an option. Makes me feel like I get a new rig twice a year.

ps. The YJ uppers were a lot easier to store though. JK soft uppers take up a lot of room in the rig, especially if you have a 4 door.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
smitkev2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

will the JK soft top allow both half and hard doors? I know in the YJ, you can't use both. You have to choose one to fit a particular softtop. Bad design in my opinion.

WAR EAGLE!
smitkev2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, the softtop fits both style doors. I love my half doors and haven't had any problems with leaking when it rains and they're fairly quit on the highway. My only concern is high crosswinds at highway speed. I could see the wind peeling back the top of the doors and letting the sun in just a bit. If it were raining, I'm not sure it wouldn't leak. The uppers are bulky when taking them off, but they're light enough for me to make two trips to bring them into my apartment including the rear quarter windows and the back window.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

My Jeep came with both a hard top and soft top and full metal doors with power windows/locks. So to answer smitkev2, yep. I do not have half doors.
Unread 08-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
My only concern is high crosswinds at highway speed. I could see the wind peeling back the top of the doors and letting the sun in just a bit. If it were raining, I'm not sure it wouldn't leak.
I see that gap you're talking about sometimes, but it doesn't seem to leak when I'm driving. I think the flow of air keeps the water flowing back, and when you stop it snugs up.

Unread 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
I see that gap you're talking about sometimes, but it doesn't seem to leak when I'm driving. I think the flow of air keeps the water flowing back, and when you stop it snugs up.
same thing with my full soft doors. there is a good 4 inch gap when driving on the highway but no rain gets in

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
99TJSport
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
So how do the ones from LJ compare to your JK? The ones I had on my 95 YJ were absolutely horrible.
JK ones are defintely better. They don't flap out at all compared to the LJ ones are are quieter. I also like the plastic trim on the inside, makes it look more like a "real" door inside and gives you a nice armrest. On my LJ, I would use the door as an armrest, but when the upper was on, I always hit my elbow or arm on the metal stems for the upper half, but not on the JK.

Unread 08-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
99TJSport
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
All that said, when winter hits, the full doors going on is pretty nice too. Quieter, don't have to manually lock all the doors, power windows, etc. Jeep really missed the ball when they didn't offer both sets of doors as an option. Makes me feel like I get a new rig twice a year.

ps. The YJ uppers were a lot easier to store though. JK soft uppers take up a lot of room in the rig, especially if you have a 4 door.
I second Bricktop's comments about storage, they are bulkier than my LJ and take up more room, but I also have 4 instead of 2 now.

However Bricktop, I for one was nuts not having my power locks, especially the auto lock/unlock, so I used full door harnesses and power door latches to make it all work. My wife thought I was nuts, but it's cool having it. Project will be complete once the door lock switches come in.

Unread 08-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

Not having power was a PITA until we just decided not to keep anything in the Jeep and we leave all the doors unlocked including the center console and glovebox. Problem solved.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSport View Post
I second Bricktop's comments about storage, they are bulkier than my LJ and take up more room, but I also have 4 instead of 2 now.

However Bricktop, I for one was nuts not having my power locks, especially the auto lock/unlock, so I used full door harnesses and power door latches to make it all work. My wife thought I was nuts, but it's cool having it. Project will be complete once the door lock switches come in.
I agree. I did the same thing on my '06 TJ. Full power locks including gate and keyless entry. How much are you going to have invested to get yours all set up?

Unread 08-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Rescue1
2009 JK Wrangler 

i love my 1/2 drs. it was one of the requirements when i traded in the 08 2dr for the 09 4dr. can't say anything bad about them. i'd do it again if i had to buy another JK
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
ctown67
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
i love my 1/2 drs. it was one of the requirements when i traded in the 08 2dr for the 09 4dr. can't say anything bad about them. i'd do it again if i had to buy another JK
i agree with that

on the down side it leaks a lot when it's parked
List of stock parts that have been eviscerated.

power steering pump, tie rod, front left knuckle, horn, weld on rear track bar, rear track bar bracket, both rear fenders, front passenger fender, punctured spare tire, rear bar pins, steering stabilizer shock, front drivers side shock, spare tire carrier.
ctown67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.