How do I remove the dashboard of a 2007 jku - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I remove the dashboard of a 2007 jku

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
rmillardjr

How do I remove the dashboard of a 2007 jku

I need to remove the dashboard of my 07' jku. Before it is asked, no I dont mean remove the radio bezel to put a new radio in. my wifes wedding band fell in between the dash and windshield. she was helping me work the the jeep and had them on the dash, and i forgot to take them off and give them back before i drove away. it has been a little over a month and it hasnt fallen out like i had hoped it would. it fell in on the driver side so the glove box removing wouldnt help. please someone tell me what has to be done, about how long it takes, and how much of a hassle it is. and step by step instructions would be nice, and pictures if anyone has them.

rmillardjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
JKashat
2012 JK Wrangler 

Lots of 7mm bolts...
JKashat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

You might have some luck with going to your local dealer (if they are worth a damn), telling them your problem and asking for photo copies of the relevant pages out of the service manual.

Or a Chiltons or Haynes manual for the JK.

The best diagrams for full dash removal are generally covered in the HVAC section.

The last time I took the dash out of a Jeep was back in the mid 90's so unfortunately I can't offer anything specific to the JK mount locations but I can offer an idea of what you might be looking at.

Back then the steering wheel had to be dropped down and the center console removed to gain clearance and access. After that is disconnecting any harness that leaves the dash to another part of the Jeep. Then you locate and find the best way to get to the mounting screws (I believe there were 6-8 of them inside and 2-4 of them outside) and remove them. If I remember correctly the dash is hung on the firewall by a couple of clips so it shouldn't just fall off when all of the screws are removed but you will probably need help in lifting it off.

If you've never done this type of work it can turn into a long day relatively easily.

Another option that may save you some time and hassle is to fold the windshield down so that you can look directly down into the top of the dash. You never know, the ring might just be sitting there waiting to be picked out.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is one write-up > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...moval-1570915/
I'll post more if I find them.

Edit:
Here's another way to get things out > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/i...y-key-1078701/

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
rmillardjr

I read that someone else had luck by folding the windshield, I don't think I will have that luck because the ring is only a band, and it has been over a month of bouncing around finding that perfect hiding spot. Also I tried using a digital inspection camera to get in there and look but couldn't find it. Maybe ill try removing the whole center console and see if it may have skid under there, I tried under the carpets. Any idea how to remove the center console?
rmillardjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is one that includes a video and is quite entertaining http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...video-1162681/

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

That was well ROFLMAO!
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Either in a garage, or outta the sun---getta flashlight and leaning over the fender look down thru the windshiel and you will probably locate the ring in one of the MANY little pouchs under that clever slot--

Then buy/borrow a flexable pickup/retriever and reachdown and get ring--

I've doneit for a special allen head bolt that fell off my roll cage, while assembly--

A little easier than removing entire dashboard

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

If it fell in on the driver's side, I'd probably start with removing the instrument cluster. It only takes a few minutes, and exposes a pretty good sized hole to look into.

You have to start from the bottom up to get the cluster out. Under the steering column is a rectangular panel this is just held in by clips - pull that out first. Moving up from there is the panel that surrounds the column on the left and right sides. This is also just clipped in, but you have to pull the top out first. The bottom of it is hinged, so you have to tilt it down, then pull it towards you.

Once those two pieces are out, you'll see the two 7mm bolts that hold the cluster surround in. Remove them and pull the surround towards you. (It also has a few clips.)

After that, you'll see the four 7mm bolts holding the cluster in. Remove those, unplug the harnesses, and the cluster comes right out.

I'd also pull the cover off on the side of the dash, facing the door. With all of those pieces removed, you should have a pretty good view into the driver's side of the dashboard.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.