How do I change the blower motor resistor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I change the blower motor resistor?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 09-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

How do I change the blower motor resistor?

On Saturday, the blower motor in my 2007 JKU quit working. I am pretty sure it is the blower motor resistor. Does anybody know where it is? I am looking for pictures, write up, or any kind of help. I think it is buried in the dash somewhere. I have concerns about an air bag popping while dismantling the dash to get to it. How do I prevent that? Do I simply disconnect the battery?

Nobody has the part in stock and would have to special order it. I have not ordered it because I am trying to decide if this is a task I can take on myself. I did go to the dealer to get it done since I am on vacation and don't want to waste vacation messing around with this, but they were booked up solid for about a week. It's been in the upper 90's with high humidity down here and I damn near got heat exhaustion yesterday just putting my doors back on in my garage. Even though my garage is part of my house, they didn't insulate the attic of it and only insulated the attic on the rest of the house, so it gets insanely hot in there.

Unread 09-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
On Saturday, the blower motor in my 2007 JKU quit working. I am pretty sure it is the blower motor resistor. Does anybody know where it is? I am looking for pictures, write up, or any kind of help. I think it is buried in the dash somewhere. I have concerns about an air bag popping while dismantling the dash to get to it. How do I prevent that? Do I simply disconnect the battery?

Nobody has the part in stock and would have to special order it. I have not ordered it because I am trying to decide if this is a task I can take on myself. I did go to the dealer to get it done since I am on vacation and don't want to waste vacation messing around with this, but they were booked up solid for about a week. It's been in the upper 90's with high humidity down here and I damn near got heat exhaustion yesterday just putting my doors back on in my garage. Even though my garage is part of my house, they didn't insulate the attic of it and only insulated the attic on the rest of the house, so it gets insanely hot in there.
I have changed the resistor card in 2 other vehicles but not in a Wrangler. Both times it was either attached to the blower motor, or right next to the blower motor. Both of these instances the blower motor was right behind the glove box. I accessed it from the passenger side foot well.

Neither of my two problems were the blower motor did not work at all. I had an intermittant problem and the other time it was the blower did not work in the "high" position. It was simply 3 screws to drop the blower motor and then an electrical connection to disconnect. Not as simple as it sounds though. Laying on your back looking up under the dash.

Good Luck
Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

I remember replacing the blower motor in my 95 YJ and it was a breeze, but I tell you, this JK just isn't the same.

Perhaps a little bit of history of this problem and how I came to believe it is the resistor. When I bought my JK brand new off the lot in July 2007, it worked fine in all positions. It didn't take long before all the positions except the highest setting blew very softly. I thought it was my imagination, but this continued to get worse with time. I didn't much worry about it since I use the air conditioning in full blast position all the time anyway since it gets so hot down here and my Jeep is solid black with a black hard top. I always found that the blower motor seemed to be a lot louder than it should be, but whatever, it's a Jeep, not a Cadillac. On Saturday, when I was leaving Holly Beach, I stopped at a convenience store to get a bottle of water. Everything was fine when I stopped. When I got back in and started it up, no blower motor. I turned my Jeep off and back on again a few times and for a little while it seemed to blow very faintly then that stopped. The compressor kicks on when the button is pressed.

Given the history of it blowing very softly except in the high position and that deteriorated over time, leaves me to believe it is the blower motor resistor. I have not ruled out the possibility of the blower motor or even both.
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The resister pack is in the duct next to the blower motor, over the front passenger's footwell.
This is the best picture I have of it. I think there are just 2 screws.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx
The resister pack is in the duct next to the blower motor, over the front passenger's footwell.
This is the best picture I have of it. I think there are just 2 screws.
Thanks a lot.

I got it out yesterday afternoon. I went to a couple of auto parts stores and they have to special order it. They want more for shipping than the part and they are telling me it's going to take about seven days to get. I am going to try the dealer today.

I have a couple of tips for the removal. There are two Phillips screws that hold it on. You need a stubby screw driver because there isn't enough room for a regular length screwdriver. You also are going to need a flashlight to see the screws. Taking the glove compartment out helps let more light in to see. Remove the door retaining strap from the loop so that you have more room to get your upper body in there. Since I have power windows, I left the wires connected to prevent the door from swinging open all the way. The antenna would probably have stopped the mirror from hitting the cowl though. Obviously, push the passenger seat all the way back.

One more thing. Since I have a Sahara, it has those plastic side steps and door sills. I should have put some blankets or towels or something there because the dug into my ribs. I didn't notice too much at the time but afterwards my ribs were hurting.

Hopefully this is what is wrong. If not, I will try the blower motor next.
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Thanks a lot.

I got it out yesterday afternoon. I went to a couple of auto parts stores and they have to special order it. They want more for shipping than the part and they are telling me it's going to take about seven days to get. I am going to try the dealer today.

I have a couple of tips for the removal. There are two Phillips screws that hold it on. You need a stubby screw driver because there isn't enough room for a regular length screwdriver. You also are going to need a flashlight to see the screws. Taking the glove compartment out helps let more light in to see. Remove the door retaining strap from the loop so that you have more room to get your upper body in there. Since I have power windows, I left the wires connected to prevent the door from swinging open all the way. The antenna would probably have stopped the mirror from hitting the cowl though. Obviously, push the passenger seat all the way back.

One more thing. Since I have a Sahara, it has those plastic side steps and door sills. I should have put some blankets or towels or something there because the dug into my ribs. I didn't notice too much at the time but afterwards my ribs were hurting.

Hopefully this is what is wrong. If not, I will try the blower motor next.
I faile to mention that both times I changed the resistor packs they showed visual evidence of a burnt resistor on the card. I had a Hyudnai accent a couple years ago that I was experiencing the same problem with the blower that you mention.......being intermittent. I startd reaching under the dash and smakcing the bottom of the motor and it would would work for a while. I wound up changing the blower motor for this issue and it fixed the problem.

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

I changed the blower motor resistor but still nothing.

O'Reilly wanted $86 for a new blower motor and had to order it. The dealer had a new blower motor in stock for $134. I needed this to be over with so I bought it.

It has three screws holding it on. I can't get one of the screws in but the other two are holding it securely. I will have to get a smaller person that will not struggle with the bad angles involved to get the third screw in. In the mean time, I tried it out and it works. I must say, it has never blown this quiet. Even on the day I bought the Jeep knew in July 2007, the blower motor was always noisy, but anymore.
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Pics if you can provide them!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Pics if you can provide them!
Pic of the blower:

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Damn, sorry - I'm at work and the pics don't display half the time. All I get is a white dash:

-
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

On Saturday the new blower motor started making a roaring noise louder than super swampers on the interstate. Needless to say I was pissed. I have been busy a couple of other things never mind the fact that I am supposed to be on vacation, so I left it alone until today.

I found my receipt for it. I was told it has a 12 month warranty but a receipt is required. No exceptions.

I pulled it out this morning and couldn't see anything wrong with it. I turned it by hand and it was smooth and quiet. I plugged it back in and just held it in my hand while I turned the switch on. It seemed normal.

I reinstalled it. This time I got all three screws in. Turns out I was trying to screw in the wrong hole previously. After plugging it back in I tried it and everything is quiet. I went riding on some bumpy roads to see if jarring it would affect it but it is fine. So, I'll just hold on to y receipt in case I have further trouble.

My guess is that with only two screws instead of three, it got jarred loose. The way it is made, there s a small air duct on one side that comes off as part if the assembly. That air duct fits inside an air duct on the Jeep. If it isn't in right, I could see that being a source of noise.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.