HOW-TO: DIY JK Wrangler Breather Hose Extensions for $30 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-23-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

HOW-TO: DIY JK Wrangler Breather Hose Extensions for $30

Extending the breather hoses on the JK Wrangler is great insurance Ė I want my Jeep to be capable of deep water crossings without worrying about replacing all my fluids soon after. In remote Africa, that likely wonít be an option.

Iíd much rather DIY it than buy an expensive kit, the below cost me under $30 and took about an hour.

Things to buyTools needed:
  • A sharp knife or scissors to cut the fuel line.
  • Pointy nose pliers.
  • Zip ties.
There are a few possible variations to what Iíve chosen to do in terms of routing and where you terminate your breather hoses.
The choice is yours.

Step 1:
Pull the old breather hose off the rear diff (it just pulls off the diff). The other end will just come out when you pull it. Slide a clamp over the end of the hose, then push it onto the diff and slide the clamp down with pliers.
Leave a good amount of slack above the rear diff for full droop.

Step 2:
Feed the hose up and over the cross member then along the passenger side frame rail, following the factory wiring for the gas tank.

Step 3:
Feed the hose forward and cut it to length where the transmission cross member meets the passenger frame rail.

Step 4:
Pull the exiting short breather off the transfer case and throw it away. The best way to get at it is from the drivers side Ė itís on top of the transfer case with the nipple pointing forward. Slide a clamp onto some hose, jam it onto the nipple then wrestle the clamp down with the pliers. Feed the hose along the cross member to where your other new hose is waiting.

Step 5: (Auto Only)
Same as step 4, on the auto trans. Feed the hose over to your waiting hoses.

(Note the 6 speed has a breather that goes up to where the shifter boot is. Itís too difficult / not worth messing with, so we wonít be changing anything there)

Step 6:
Put tee junctions with clamps into your hoses so they all join above where the cross member meets the frame rail. Use zip ties to attach everything so it wonít move around or get in the way of anything.

Step 7:
Run the hose from your tee forward into the engine bay. I decided I didnít need the breathers to be insanely high, the top of the engine bay is plenty for my needs. I ran the hose up to the very top passenger side corner, and re-used one the little plastic ends from the original hoses with a clamp. Another option is to join the hoses into the air box, or the breather hose coming off the air box if you have a snorkel and want to drive through seriously deep water.

Step 8:
Pull the factory breather off the front diff, and note where itís routed. On the front diff the breather is on the drivers side, pointing towards the back of the Jeep. Put a clamp on some hose, push it onto the front diff, then slide the clamp down with the pliers.

Step 9:
Route the new front diff breather in the same place the original breather was. Again, I ran mine to the very top of the engine bay, on the drivers side. You could run it across to the other side and join it to the other one if youíre going to the air box.

All done, go drive through some rivers!

I also wrote up this HOW TO on my website - DIYT Jeep Wrangler JK Breather Hose Extensions

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
--
Follow:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-23-2015, 02:52 PM
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

subbed for future reference

"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
post #3 of 6 Old 10-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Sparky68
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice Job ! puting that on my to-do list.
Wave

2013 JKU Sahara Dozer, aka Sparky

post #4 of 6 Old 10-23-2015, 08:51 PM
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did similar, took the plastic caps off the front and rear diff breather lines, used a plastic tube joiner in each then used fuel hose to raise the breather outlets....the rear to inside the RH rear quarter behind the tail light, the front diff to up near the top of the engine bay. The auto/TX case breathers on a Pentastar are up on/at the rear of the engine, so I deemed them good enough for my needs.
Took about an hour to do, and cost about the same as the OP.

Regards,
Leigh
2013 JK Overland/Sahara 3.6L
post #5 of 6 Old 10-25-2015, 05:11 AM
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
I did similar, took the plastic caps off the front and rear diff breather lines, used a plastic tube joiner in each then used fuel hose to raise the breather outlets....the rear to inside the RH rear quarter behind the tail light, the front diff to up near the top of the engine bay. The auto/TX case breathers on a Pentastar are up on/at the rear of the engine, so I deemed them good enough for my needs.
Took about an hour to do, and cost about the same as the OP.
I did the exact same and feel very confident in this.

If it's not supposed to move and does use duct tape.
If it's supposed to move and doesn't use WD40
post #6 of 6 Old 10-27-2015, 01:44 PM
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

I think this was the first mod I did on my Jeep when I got it home

As a modification I ran the rear breather into the cavity behind the passenger tail light and secured there.

I also ran the trans one up over the engine and zip tied it under the plastic cover.

The front one was just tied off to the ABS valving on the right side. No need to run t's l

2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU "Tank" Sport S
2002 Avalanche: To many mods to list

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.