how to disable traction control? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > how to disable traction control?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #31
Flexting
2011 JK Wrangler 

If my rci 2970dx is cranked up, and keyed up, my traction control turns off. True story

Flexting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #32
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I've tried this a dozen times. i don't think it exists, i think you're all lying to me
1)Did you make sure that it was in 4H?
2)Make sure that you do not turn the wheel too far or let it slip back after you've reached the 180 degree point. The Jeep LOGO will be perfectly upside down.
3) After you were all done, did you cycle the ignition off before turning it back on?

I think on one of the other forums there is a video from youtube of the procedure.
jrod250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #33
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

Perhaps you need a wheel alignment. If the steering wheel and the front tires are not both straight then it wont work.

The traction control activates when your wheels slip or when the computer senses that your steering wheel is turned in a direction that is differant from the direction that the jeep is travelling. (sliding in a corner)
This is the reason for the steering wheel procedure.
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #34
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod250 View Post
1)Did you make sure that it was in 4H?
2)Make sure that you do not turn the wheel too far or let it slip back after you've reached the 180 degree point. The Jeep LOGO will be perfectly upside down.
3) After you were all done, did you cycle the ignition off before turning it back on?

I think on one of the other forums there is a video from youtube of the procedure.
yes yes and yes. but i was doing it on concrete. when i turn the wheel back to center there is tension on the tires. i don't believe they're actually straight until i over correct - but that ruins the procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod250 View Post
Perhaps you need a wheel alignment. If the steering wheel and the front tires are not both straight then it wont work.

The traction control activates when your wheels slip or when the computer senses that your steering wheel is turned in a direction that is differant from the direction that the jeep is travelling. (sliding in a corner)
This is the reason for the steering wheel procedure.
at 1100 miles old, i doubt it needs an alignment

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #35
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you want to take a road trip to upstate NY, I'll do it for you.
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #36
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I'm going to set the front axle on jack stands tomorrow and try it that way. remove the variables.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #37
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

You really shouldn't have to jack it up. I did mine while it was in my garage and I'm running 35's. You must not be doing something right. Really take your time. Go through the list that I copied and pasted from the owners manual and double check your procedure. You'll get it.
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #38
scbroder
2009 JK Wrangler 

I could never get it to work with the engine running, but usually works with the engine off. I concentrate on the steering wheel and move the wheel at a steady rate, never allowing the wheel to stop or reverse direction until the set point is reached.
scbroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #39
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I'm going to set the front axle on jack stands tomorrow and try it that way. remove the variables.
Well? Have you had any luck?
Unread 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #40
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

from that article, it says traction control is always on, never able to disable it, so all you disable is ECS. Your still gonna drag brakes with the traction control
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #41
Spaschal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
I just gotta hold the botton down for about 10 seconds on mine and it totally shuts off...MAYBE its 7 seconds. I just hold it til it tells me its fully off (it'll "ding")
I've got an 07' Rescue Green JKU and tried to hold it down. I have held it for minutes at a time much less 10 second and can't seem to get it to turn off? Dirves me nuts on rainy days taking corners, the stupid thing is always engaging. One day it's going to cause a damn accident, not avoid one!

Did you have to do anything else or just hold it?
Spaschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #42
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

If your traction control is going off "all the time" there's somethign wrong with your rig!

My 09 is lifted and running 35 inch tires, and I have to WORK to set the traction control off!
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #43
Spaschal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Okay, not all the time, obviously I am exagerating... I live in Cascade mountains, we don't have flat roads... it goes off on sharp, off camber corners when the roads are wet, or sharp corners with leaves covering the road surface. I realize it is doing what it is supposed to but it is way too sensitive. Even with the ESP "turned-off", that is the light on the dash on, it still engages on some downhill, off camber, wet corners. There doesn't seem to be a way to completely disable it in 2H. Obviously in 4H I can hold the button down for about 7 seconds and it turns off but I want to disable it in 2H. Any ideas?
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #44
kudah

you can not fully disable the traction control in 2012 and newer Wranglers. The option has been removed. It is fully disabled in 4lo only and it does that automatically.
2007 Wranglers some will need a software update to make the steering wheel dance possible.

Also you can turn the steering wheel from 180-270 degrees, it has to see 180 or more degrees of turn.
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #45
Spaschal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah View Post
you can not fully disable the traction control in 2012 and newer Wranglers. The option has been removed. It is fully disabled in 4lo only and it does that automatically.
2007 Wranglers some will need a software update to make the steering wheel dance possible.

Also you can turn the steering wheel from 180-270 degrees, it has to see 180 or more degrees of turn.
I have an 07' so I don't need do to the "steering wheel dance" to disable my ESP in 4H. How do I truly disable in 2WD? I don't know if it is even posible.???

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.