how to disable traction control? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > how to disable traction control?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
Canadian-Bear
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
So even though I dont have it on my LJ I cant turn it on?

I hope you know Im messing with you....

Have you watched the movie "Badder Santa"? Well, Billy Bob Thornton (Willie) is playing checkers with the "little" boy (Therman). The boy moves his pieces, back and forth, and he isn't quite sure where he is going to move next. Meanwhile, Willie is sitting there growing impatient until the boy finally makes his move and jumps a few of Willie's pieces, and then says "King me". Then Willie snaps and throws the board, and pieces, and says, "SOB! You lousy cheating little sh*t! You are f****** with me. You did that on purpose. You sit there and play like the dead lice are falling off of you, and then suddenly, you're like Seabiscuit all over the place. You're a smart a**, is what are you, kid."

That scene is absolutely hilarious!

/l ,[____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Canadian-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-Bear View Post

Have you watched the movie "Badder Santa"? Well, Billy Bob Thornton (Willie) is playing checkers with the "little" boy (Therman). The boy moves his pieces, back and forth, and he isn't quite sure where he is going to move next. Meanwhile, Willie is sitting there growing impatient until the boy finally makes his move and jumps a few of Willie's pieces, and then says "King me". Then Willie snaps and throws the board, and pieces, and says, "SOB! You lousy cheating little sh*t! You are f****** with me. You did that on purpose. You sit there and play like the dead lice are falling off of you, and then suddenly, you're like Seabiscuit all over the place. You're a smart a**, is what are you, kid."

That scene is absolutely hilarious!
Love the movie!!!! hahahahahah
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

Like I said in my first post. This needs to be done 100% correctly. If you mess it up at all then it will not work.
As far as holding the button for 5 seconds. Yes that deactivates it when and only when your in 4H. If you do the steering wheel trick, that deactivates it ALL THE TIME EVEN IN 2WD.

In 4Lo that tractional control automatically turns off
jrod250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

The easiest way to disable traction control and all those other computer demons on a JK that we ***** about is sort of like a priest exorcising any demon - only using gasoline instead of holy water and a bic lighter instead of a thurible....
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod250 View Post
Like I said in my first post. This needs to be done 100% correctly. If you mess it up at all then it will not work.
As far as holding the button for 5 seconds. Yes that deactivates it when and only when your in 4H. If you do the steering wheel trick, that deactivates it ALL THE TIME EVEN IN 2WD.

In 4Lo that tractional control automatically turns off
So, can you confirm you've been able to do this on your '11 ?
MoreMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes, I have done this on my 2011. It took me 4 times before if was successful.
If you download the owners manuel, that also gives detailed directions on how to disable it.
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

I COPIED AND PASTED THIS RIGHT FROM THE OWNERS MANUEL

The following procedure will disable (or re-enable) ESC functionality in the vehicle:
1. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position.
2. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
3. Cycle the ignition key OFF to ON.
4. Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb check.
5. Turn and hold the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).
6. Press and hold the ESC OFF button for seven seconds.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to center, and turn and hold an additional one-half turn to the left (counterclock- wise).
8. Press and hold the ESC OFF button for seven seconds.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
10. Press and hold the ESC OFF button for seven sec- onds.
11. Cycle the ignition key to OFF.
After performing the ESC disable procedure correctly, “ESC OFF” will be displayed in the odometer for ap- proximately 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON. Repeating the ESC disable procedure will re- enable normal ESC operation.
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
paulygi
2012 JK Wrangler 

When I 1st read this process I though you guys were joking. Wow, it is definately not something you would do by accident.

Since I haven't lifted or changed the tires, I'll just use the ESP Off or Partial mode
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #24
Reelworks
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just a dummy question, but what are pros/cons of turning this off?
thanks
Reelworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #25
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

The main reason why I disabled mine was to extend the life of the back brakes. The traction control is constantly applying the brakes if it thinks anything is out of the ordinary.
It also annoying when you try to pull out in traffic on a wet road and the engine dies out, because you spin your tires a little.
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i did mine, but it acts like it doesnt want to take after you turn it off in 2wd. works just fine in 4 high.
maybe i missed something?

no longer says ESCOFF in the dash when you turn it on

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #27
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I've tried this a dozen times. i don't think it exists, i think you're all lying to me

Unread 12-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #28
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I've tried this a dozen times. i don't think it exists, i think you're all lying to me
You gotta cross the pinky toe of your left foot over the big toe of your right while you do it or it won't work...

(the steering wheel input has to be real good - and it does tend to want to come back a bit when you relax the input)
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #29
Reelworks
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelworks
Just a dummy question, but what are pros/cons of turning this off?
thanks
Anyone? I seriously don't know squat about the traction control. My last jeep was a 1998 and traction control was not stomping on it in wet weather :-)
Reelworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #30
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
You gotta cross the pinky toe of your left foot over the big toe of your right while you do it or it won't work...

(the steering wheel input has to be real good - and it does tend to want to come back a bit when you relax the input)
JP said you could do it with the motor on, so i did. but i also did it with the motor off (in on position). i literally did it by the book and i cannot make it happen.

i wish someone would post a video

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.