how to disable traction control? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > how to disable traction control?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

how to disable traction control?

Is there a way to disable traction control, my service writer did tell me its tied to the wheel sensors so I've tried pulling the fuse on the abs, but the programmers must have anticipated that and traction control stays on all the time then.

Any idea's?

and no, the little button does NOT turn it off, it just lowers the threshold. I've had problems with the system apply brake to the front wheels on steep hills making the rear wheels dig holes. and forget about trying to get the wheels spinning to assist getting through a mudhole...... not to mention having some plain old mud slinging fun.

this is very disappointing.......

MoreMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
mtbr
2012 JK Wrangler 

I thought if you press the "little button" it only tempararily disables it.
But If you press and hold it for 5 seconds, it disables it fully?
2008 4 door Sahara / Rescue Green Jeep Club Member #15
1992 YJ / White
mtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Second link from the bottom of this page > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...9/#post9829571

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
jrod250
2011 JK Wrangler 

The process is in the owners manual, but here it is

Turn ignition on and set the steering wheel straight with the jeep logo level put it in 4h and set the parking brake

Turn the wheel clockwise until the jeep logo is upside down. DO NOT let the wheel move and press and hold the traction control button for 7 seconds

Now turn the wheel counter clockwise with the logo is upside down again and press and hold the button for 7 seconds again.
Now straighten the wheel so the logo is right side up and press/hold the button for 7 secs again.
taction control disabled should now appear in your odometer cluster.

This needs to be performed 100% perfect or it will not work.
jrod250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod250 View Post

Turn ignition on and set the steering wheel straight with the jeep logo level put it in 4h and set the parking brake

Turn the wheel clockwise until the jeep logo is upside down. DO NOT let the wheel move and press and hold the traction control button for 7 seconds

Now turn the wheel counter clockwise with the logo is upside down again and press and hold the button for 7 seconds again.
Now straighten the wheel so the logo is right side up and press/hold the button for 7 secs again.

That is
Re
Tart
Ded

How do you turn it back on? Put one hand on right front tire, unscrew antenna 3 turns, and then summon the Invisible Swordsman?
luken18r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Canadian-Bear
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luken18r View Post
That is
Re
Tart
Ded

How do you turn it back on? Put one hand on right front tire, unscrew antenna 3 turns, and then summon the Invisible Swordsman?
There is only 1 "t" in "retarded" and that term means to slow or hinder one's progress. But, seeing as I am a nice guy , you just do this process....

....in reverse. And, no, that does not mean to have your Jeep in reverse . Just reverse the process of the step inderlined and italicized above.

/l ,[____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Canadian-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

Perfect, many thanks....

Good to know there are options......

time to do some testing
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-Bear View Post
There is only 1 "t" in "retarded" and that term means to slow or hinder one's progress. But, seeing as I am a nice guy , you just do this process....

....in reverse. And, no, that does not mean to have your Jeep in reverse . Just reverse the process of the step inderlined and italicized above.

So if I understand YOU correctly....I have to push and hold the button for 7 secs then turn the wheel upside down and hold it still, then set the parking brake, put it in 4hi and then turn the ignition on.
Im confused though.
Do I have to have the steering wheel already upside down before I push and hold the button or after I turn the wheel upside down to get it to turn off?
Do I need to turn the ignition on first as well?
Should I just set the pakring brake before I do anything?
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've tested this ( many times ) and I get no response on holding down the button. In fact the override light goes out after holding it doen for 10 seconds, no chime nothing. They must of removed this feature when they changed the computer on the '11 model year.

Bummer, back to square one. Anyone know how to disable the brake sensors without major surgery? I think that any be the only way. Personally I think if I'm old enough to pay for a new jeep I should be allowed to enter an address into the nav system while driving with the traction control off
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMud View Post
I've tested this ( many times ) and I get no response on holding down the button. In fact the override light goes out after holding it doen for 10 seconds, no chime nothing. They must of removed this feature when they changed the computer on the '11 model year.

Bummer, back to square one. Anyone know how to disable the brake sensors without major surgery? I think that any be the only way. Personally I think if I'm old enough to pay for a new jeep I should be allowed to enter an address into the nav system while driving with the traction control off
You can call the dealer to see if they can turn it off, or do some google work to see if anyone else got it off on the 11's. You may be doing the insanely difficult procedure wrong. At least, before I would go cutting ABS lines (which by the way, will only cause a Christmas Tree on your dash) I would search threads for other guys with 11's who have tried this.

It worked on my 08.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just looked at the 2011 manual and it says that the momentary touch of the button for partial disable or the steering wheel dance listed above for a more inclusive disable are your two options.
The extended push of the button must just be for the older models.
There is a link in JK F.A.Q. for the owners manual down-load if anyone needs it!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Canadian-Bear
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
So if I understand YOU correctly....I have to push and hold the button for 7 secs then turn the wheel upside down and hold it still, then set the parking brake, put it in 4hi and then turn the ignition on.
Im confused though.
Do I have to have the steering wheel already upside down before I push and hold the button or after I turn the wheel upside down to get it to turn off?
Do I need to turn the ignition on first as well?
Should I just set the pakring brake before I do anything?
Are you attempting this on your 2005 LJ? The reason why I ask is because the ESP (electronic stability program) only came into existence on the JK. Anyway, just do the process again to reverse what you have done before. In other words, if you did this process to disable the ESP, then do it again to enable the ESP. Mind you, it may take several attempts to complete both processes.

/l ,[____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Canadian-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Green_Monster
2007 JK Wrangler 

I just gotta hold the botton down for about 10 seconds on mine and it totally shuts off...MAYBE its 7 seconds. I just hold it til it tells me its fully off (it'll "ding")
3.5in RE lift (+ 3/4" spacers in front), Bilstein 5100's, 35in Wrangler Duratracs on TIS 535 Wheels, 5.13 Yukon gears with Solid diff Covers, Warn Front Bumper with 7" Warn HID's and a 8500lb winch, OF Fab Swing Away Tire/Gerry Can Carrier, Line-X'd tub
Green_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

This article has a little chart/grid at the bottom that explains the different combinations:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...tem/index.html

The only problem I've had with the FULL OFF (holding the button for 5 seconds) is remembering that I have to be totally stopped (with the engine running) to do so.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-Bear View Post
Are you attempting this on your 2005 LJ? The reason why I ask is because the ESP (electronic stability program) only came into existence on the JK. Anyway, just do the process again to reverse what you have done before. In other words, if you did this process to disable the ESP, then do it again to enable the ESP. Mind you, it may take several attempts to complete both processes.

So even though I dont have it on my LJ I cant turn it on?

I hope you know Im messing with you....
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.