how to disable traction control? - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
MoreMud
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waukesha
Posts: 106
how to disable traction control?

Is there a way to disable traction control, my service writer did tell me its tied to the wheel sensors so I've tried pulling the fuse on the abs, but the programmers must have anticipated that and traction control stays on all the time then.

Any idea's?


and no, the little button does NOT turn it off, it just lowers the threshold. I've had problems with the system apply brake to the front wheels on steep hills making the rear wheels dig holes. and forget about trying to get the wheels spinning to assist getting through a mudhole...... not to mention having some plain old mud slinging fun.

this is very disappointing.......

MoreMud is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 12:54 PM
mtbr
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 390
I thought if you press the "little button" it only tempararily disables it.
But If you press and hold it for 5 seconds, it disables it fully?

2012 4 door Sahara / Black
2008 4 door Sahara / Rescue Green Jeep Club Member #15
1992 YJ / White
mtbr is offline  
post #3 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?
 
JLC08JK's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,061
JLC08JK is offline  
post #4 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
jrod250
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: saratoga
Posts: 54
The process is in the owners manual, but here it is

Turn ignition on and set the steering wheel straight with the jeep logo level put it in 4h and set the parking brake

Turn the wheel clockwise until the jeep logo is upside down. DO NOT let the wheel move and press and hold the traction control button for 7 seconds

Now turn the wheel counter clockwise with the logo is upside down again and press and hold the button for 7 seconds again.
Now straighten the wheel so the logo is right side up and press/hold the button for 7 secs again.
taction control disabled should now appear in your odometer cluster.


This needs to be performed 100% perfect or it will not work.
jrod250 is offline  
post #5 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM
luken18r
Registered User
 
luken18r's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod250 View Post
The process is in the owners manual, but here it is

Turn ignition on and set the steering wheel straight with the jeep logo level put it in 4h and set the parking brake

Turn the wheel clockwise until the jeep logo is upside down. DO NOT let the wheel move and press and hold the traction control button for 7 seconds

Now turn the wheel counter clockwise with the logo is upside down again and press and hold the button for 7 seconds again.
Now straighten the wheel so the logo is right side up and press/hold the button for 7 secs again.
taction control disabled should now appear in your odometer cluster.


This needs to be performed 100% perfect or it will not work.


That is
Re
Tart
Ded

How do you turn it back on? Put one hand on right front tire, unscrew antenna 3 turns, and then summon the Invisible Swordsman?

-Luke
ZJ - RIP
JKU - Awesome
luken18r is offline  
post #6 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Canadian-Bear
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by luken18r View Post
That is
Re
Tart
Ded

How do you turn it back on? Put one hand on right front tire, unscrew antenna 3 turns, and then summon the Invisible Swordsman?
There is only 1 "t" in "retarded" and that term means to slow or hinder one's progress. But, seeing as I am a nice guy , you just do this process....

The process is in the owners manual, but here it is

Turn ignition on and set the steering wheel straight with the jeep logo level put it in 4h and set the parking brake

Turn the wheel clockwise until the jeep logo is upside down. DO NOT let the wheel move and press and hold the traction control button for 7 seconds

Now turn the wheel counter clockwise with the logo is upside down again and press and hold the button for 7 seconds again.
Now straighten the wheel so the logo is right side up and press/hold the button for 7 secs again.
taction control disabled should now appear in your odometer cluster.


This needs to be performed 100% perfect or it will not work.



....in reverse. And, no, that does not mean to have your Jeep in reverse . Just reverse the process of the step inderlined and italicized above.


2011 CANADIAN BEAR JK

/l ,[____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Canadian-Bear is offline  
post #7 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
MoreMud
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waukesha
Posts: 106
Perfect, many thanks....


Good to know there are options......

time to do some testing
MoreMud is offline  
post #8 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 PM
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler
 
RedRubiconLJ's Avatar
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-Bear View Post
There is only 1 "t" in "retarded" and that term means to slow or hinder one's progress. But, seeing as I am a nice guy , you just do this process....

The process is in the owners manual, but here it is

Turn ignition on and set the steering wheel straight with the jeep logo level put it in 4h and set the parking brake

Turn the wheel clockwise until the jeep logo is upside down. DO NOT let the wheel move and press and hold the traction control button for 7 seconds

Now turn the wheel counter clockwise with the logo is upside down again and press and hold the button for 7 seconds again.
Now straighten the wheel so the logo is right side up and press/hold the button for 7 secs again.
taction control disabled should now appear in your odometer cluster.


This needs to be performed 100% perfect or it will not work.



....in reverse. And, no, that does not mean to have your Jeep in reverse . Just reverse the process of the step inderlined and italicized above.

So if I understand YOU correctly....I have to push and hold the button for 7 secs then turn the wheel upside down and hold it still, then set the parking brake, put it in 4hi and then turn the ignition on.
Im confused though.
Do I have to have the steering wheel already upside down before I push and hold the button or after I turn the wheel upside down to get it to turn off?
Do I need to turn the ignition on first as well?
Should I just set the pakring brake before I do anything?

2015 Red JKU Rubicon RK X-factor, Adams, Rockhard4x4, PSC, LoD, BFG, WARN

SOLD 2013 JKUR
Sold 2005 Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics
2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline  
post #9 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
MoreMud
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waukesha
Posts: 106
I've tested this ( many times ) and I get no response on holding down the button. In fact the override light goes out after holding it doen for 10 seconds, no chime nothing. They must of removed this feature when they changed the computer on the '11 model year.


Bummer, back to square one. Anyone know how to disable the brake sensors without major surgery? I think that any be the only way. Personally I think if I'm old enough to pay for a new jeep I should be allowed to enter an address into the nav system while driving with the traction control off
MoreMud is offline  
post #10 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Charles
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMud View Post
I've tested this ( many times ) and I get no response on holding down the button. In fact the override light goes out after holding it doen for 10 seconds, no chime nothing. They must of removed this feature when they changed the computer on the '11 model year.


Bummer, back to square one. Anyone know how to disable the brake sensors without major surgery? I think that any be the only way. Personally I think if I'm old enough to pay for a new jeep I should be allowed to enter an address into the nav system while driving with the traction control off
You can call the dealer to see if they can turn it off, or do some google work to see if anyone else got it off on the 11's. You may be doing the insanely difficult procedure wrong. At least, before I would go cutting ABS lines (which by the way, will only cause a Christmas Tree on your dash) I would search threads for other guys with 11's who have tried this.

It worked on my 08.
Charles is offline  
post #11 of 56 Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?
 
JLC08JK's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,061
I just looked at the 2011 manual and it says that the momentary touch of the button for partial disable or the steering wheel dance listed above for a more inclusive disable are your two options.
The extended push of the button must just be for the older models.
There is a link in JK F.A.Q. for the owners manual down-load if anyone needs it!
JLC08JK is offline  
post #12 of 56 Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Canadian-Bear
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
So if I understand YOU correctly....I have to push and hold the button for 7 secs then turn the wheel upside down and hold it still, then set the parking brake, put it in 4hi and then turn the ignition on.
Im confused though.
Do I have to have the steering wheel already upside down before I push and hold the button or after I turn the wheel upside down to get it to turn off?
Do I need to turn the ignition on first as well?
Should I just set the pakring brake before I do anything?
Are you attempting this on your 2005 LJ? The reason why I ask is because the ESP (electronic stability program) only came into existence on the JK. Anyway, just do the process again to reverse what you have done before. In other words, if you did this process to disable the ESP, then do it again to enable the ESP. Mind you, it may take several attempts to complete both processes.


2011 CANADIAN BEAR JK

/l ,[____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Canadian-Bear is offline  
post #13 of 56 Old 12-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Green_Monster
Registered User
 
Green_Monster's Avatar
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Blue Mountain
Posts: 154
I just gotta hold the botton down for about 10 seconds on mine and it totally shuts off...MAYBE its 7 seconds. I just hold it til it tells me its fully off (it'll "ding")

The Green Monster
2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited
3.5in RE lift (+ 3/4" spacers in front), Bilstein 5100's, 35in Wrangler Duratracs on TIS 535 Wheels, 5.13 Yukon gears with Solid diff Covers, Warn Front Bumper with 7" Warn HID's and a 8500lb winch, OF Fab Swing Away Tire/Gerry Can Carrier, Line-X'd tub
Green_Monster is offline  
post #14 of 56 Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM
aristobrat
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 889
This article has a little chart/grid at the bottom that explains the different combinations:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...tem/index.html

The only problem I've had with the FULL OFF (holding the button for 5 seconds) is remembering that I have to be totally stopped (with the engine running) to do so.
aristobrat is offline  
post #15 of 56 Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler
 
RedRubiconLJ's Avatar
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-Bear View Post
Are you attempting this on your 2005 LJ? The reason why I ask is because the ESP (electronic stability program) only came into existence on the JK. Anyway, just do the process again to reverse what you have done before. In other words, if you did this process to disable the ESP, then do it again to enable the ESP. Mind you, it may take several attempts to complete both processes.

So even though I dont have it on my LJ I cant turn it on?














I hope you know Im messing with you....

2015 Red JKU Rubicon RK X-factor, Adams, Rockhard4x4, PSC, LoD, BFG, WARN

SOLD 2013 JKUR
Sold 2005 Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics
2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Traction Control & Electronic Throttle Control Lights PSYCH0 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 4 07-18-2012 09:41 AM
Traction control cosmoblue JK Wrangler Technical Forum 9 10-21-2011 08:46 AM
Traction control Robbish87 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 4 12-14-2010 12:14 PM
8.8 with traction control? Fun2Jeep YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 03-08-2009 09:43 AM
TSB - Electronic Stability Control Disable Feature For Modified 4WD Vehicles JRunner01 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 8 01-15-2009 06:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome