How to check for bad control arms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > How to check for bad control arms?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

How to check for bad control arms?

How do you check to see if your control arms are bad? By looking at them the rubber looks fine, they look like thin flat disc shapes between the control arm and the body, is this right?

Also if I try to move them by hand there is BARELY any play in them. Do I need to have the Jeep lifted off the ground to check them?

I can't figure out how you know you have a bad one?

Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why do you think you have a bad one?

Generally you'll see play. Go under the jeep, lay on your back, put your foot against a tire and rock the jeep with your legs. If you see play in the bushings then you may want to replace that arms bushings or the entire arm itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous View Post
Why do you think you have a bad one?

Generally you'll see play. Go under the jeep, lay on your back, put your foot against a tire and rock the jeep with your legs. If you see play in the bushings then you may want to replace that arms bushings or the entire arm itself.
Im not fully understanding what you mean..

Just push on the tire with my foot while under the Jeep? How much play should I look for?
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.