how capable is a stock 4door rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > how capable is a stock 4door rubicon

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 04-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
bofer84

Location: lakeland florida/ seneca south carolina/tampa florida
how capable is a stock 4door rubicon

i am really wanting to go on some trails this year over the summer, maybe in the carolinas etc...just wondering how capable the 4door is stock. I am a pretty good driver and know what im doing, but i would hate to be laughed at when out on the trail. Im guessing that a 2door is much more capable then the 4door because of the short wheels base right.

bofer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
boidy7

it's not that bad getting laughed at!! trust me I KNOW!!
boidy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
koheed
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon's are very capable, 2DR or 4DR. Don't worry about people laughing, if they're good people they'll be laughing with you and not at you and your awesome Rubi. Take it out stock to see what it can do, you'll be surprised and impressed.
4" SA Skyjacker/BDS Hybrid, 33" MT/R's
Jeeperman Front & Rear Swing-Away Bumpers
Skid Row Engine/Oil Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid
Flowmaster 40
Herculiner
NEXT PROJECT: SYE and CV Drive Shaft
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/27018750@N00/"]My Pics[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
koheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 02:07 AM   #4
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

my 99 tj sport with open diffs was amazing. nigh unstoppable. the rubi is a whole different animal, particularly in 07, with incab sway bar disco, selectable e-lockers front and rear, and 32 spline axles. all moved by a 4:1 tcase. put it in 4lo, and you can almost climb trees.
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
2JK
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Go4it

The only weakness, as compared to the 2 doors is the breakover angle. Watch your angles and you'll be fine. Mine actually does better on some obstacles than my '05 Rubi. So its not all bad.

JK
2JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

A 4 door will climg hills better than a 2 door. The wheel base makes climbing amazing.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
A 4 door will climg hills better than a 2 door. The wheel base makes climbing amazing.
YEEAP! I know becuae I have a LWB Jeep. I can climb up things a TJ can't dream about.
Unread 04-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
tomc121
tomc121

2007 JK Wrangler 

My skock Rubi amazing

I have been in some places with my rubi that would shock some people, Me and my buddy both have JK's and we get some comments like "you made it through there".
resize-resize-22-04-070929.jpg  
resize-sahara.jpg

tomc121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
JLH
2004 WJ 

In some places the longer wheel base will hurt you, and in other places it will help you. I would not say that the 2 door is a better off-road vehicle, just different. The 4 door is more stable in off chamber places.

Rgs, JLH
Unread 04-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Capabilities of the rubicon. Holy Sh*t i took it off roading this weekend with a line of other trucks ranging from an older jeep(not sure which kind) with 44" tire with lockers front and rear which climp a 5 foot straight up waterfall with almost no problems, and my Jeep Rubicon as it did not go up that, it made it through some amazing things that i was for sure it would break on. Also i read somewhere on here about the holes in the bottom of the manual transmission that lets water in, and it slips, and fails. Well I stuck the JK in water that was right above the top of the front bumper(did realize how deep it was), water started to come in the doors, and damn it just kept going, no stall, no slow down, just kept pulling. My girlfriend thought as she was watching from the outside of the vechile that i had indeed gotten something wet that shouldn't be, but no problems, 3 days later. I love my manual 4 door JK AWESOME!!! AMAZINGLY AWESOME All the guys who were with us, were truely astounded by how it crawled and just kept going, gotta love that
4WD low. I mean in 4 wheel low i could have it in 1st gear and let the truck, just do the work. HOwever say the ground flatten out for a while i would go all the way up to 5 gear with no problem.
I TRUELY BELIEVE YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT WHAT THE STOCK RUBICON CAN DISH OUT!!! I KNOW I WAS!!!! Wish i could post video and pictures, i would show you.
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
bofer84

Location: lakeland florida/ seneca south carolina/tampa florida
thats an awesome story, good to hear you made it through. I think i might just go with a front bumper and winch for now then
bofer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofer84
Im guessing that a 2door is much more capable then the 4door because of the short wheels base right.
You should see what a unicycle utilizing a Super Swamper can do.
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
luckie44

Bofer,
Are you on lake Keowee in Seneca SC? If so there's some mild to moderate trails up towards Highlands and Cashiers NC. If you need more information PM me and I'll get you hooked up with some folks or the area. I grew up there and it's beautiful. We still boat on Keowee each year!
mate !
B~
luckie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
EagerJeeper

I think the JK Unlimited Rubicons were bred from mountain goats. Mine hasn't flinched yet at steep.
EagerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
Bamoman
2007 JK Wrangler 

if someone laughs, they are secretly crying inside they dont have one

Auto|Sirius|Trac-lok Rear Diff |35 12.50 17 MT Radial MTZs| Pro Comp 1069 polished 17x9s|Teraflex 2.5 BB|3/4 Skyjacker leveling spacer
Trail Guide Nav|Amsteel Synthetic rope 100'|Shrockworks Alum Fairlead|Grab Handles x 4|Front Winch Bumper|Rear Bumper w Tire Carrier
Tow Grp|Shrockworks Rock Sliders|T-Max 9k Winch|Wireless Winch Remote|Roadboy Fog Lights

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.