"Hot Oil" Warning Message? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > "Hot Oil" Warning Message?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

"Hot Oil" Warning Message?

I was out wheeling today and while I was working my way up one side of the mountain, my jeep (2008 JKU Rubicon) started beeping at me and the dashboard threw up a message that said "HOT OIL." I thought this was odd, so I found a good place to stop and looked under the hood and crawled under and felt around the pan, nothing seemed any hotter than they would otherwise. It was 80 degrees out so it wasn't blazing hot. After waiting 15 minutes, I crawled back into my jeep, started her up, went over the top of the mountain, down the other side and drove home with no problem.

The engine coolant temperature gauge stayed pegged right where it should be. It was a little cooler when I restarted, but climbed right back to pointing straight up and stayed there. I got my shop manual out and my owner's manual out this afternoon and couldn't find anything about the "HOT OIL" warning, and nothing showed up when I searched the JK tech forum for "hot oil," either. Also, no other lights or warnings popped up on the dash. Does anybody know what this means?

Thanks!

davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hot oil treatment. Makes your hair unnaturally silky smooth. Maybe your Jeep is trying to tell you something.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

It's a warning built into the Jeep when your transmission oil temperature gets above a certain threshold. The JK's originally had this feature disabled or set at a higher threshold but due to recalls, etc... the alarm is more frequent.

The big issue here is the potential for your entire Jeep to catch on fire due to transmission fluid overheating and spilling out. Not joking as it has happened. For that specific reason many of us install an aftermarket transmission cooler. They cost about 60 bucks. Search for BM 70268.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you have a long climb up a hill/mountain in the dirt it’s best to put it in 2nd or even 1st if needed to keep the tranny from shifting back and forth between gears. When it does the oil heats up real quick as you found out already. Like mentioned, addition of an auxiliary cooler is something would help keep it cooler.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

It's Chrysler's cheap *** recall fix for a very real problem. Instead of installing transmission coolers on all the autos, they programmed the computer to give you a "hot oil" warning.

Why fix the problem when you can put the liability into the owners lap?

Luckily I have the tow package with mine and the cooler seems to do a good enough job, although I think some have had issues with it.
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
It's Chrysler's cheap *** recall fix for a very real problem. Instead of installing transmission coolers on all the autos, they programmed the computer to give you a "hot oil" warning.

Why fix the problem when you can put the liability into the owners lap?

Luckily I have the tow package with mine and the cooler seems to do a good enough job, although I think some have had issues with it.
The tow package adds nothing to the automatic transmission cooling system, if that's what you are thinking.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The tow package adds nothing to the automatic transmission cooling system, if that's what you are thinking.
You are correct. Aftermarket tranny cooler is the way to go.
Unread 07-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

On top of the possibility of catching on fire, you're severely limiting the life of the already weak auto transmission.

Flush the fluid NOW and get as big of a cooler as you can on it. Especially since you're crawling along.
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

If anyone is interested check this out

http://bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Cast-Al...minum_Deep_Pan

I have already installed the cooler and will be calling tommorow to find out the dimensions of this pan to see if it will fit with my Rock Hard Tranny skid. If it does this is going in as well 4 more quarts of fluid and my heavy duty cooler should be nice and Anyone know what model transmission an Automatic 2011 JK 4door is?
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
if anyone is interested check this out

http://bmracing.com/products/cast-aluminum-deep-pans/10280_cast_aluminum_deep_pan

i have already installed the cooler and will be calling tommorow to find out the dimensions of this pan to see if it will fit with my rock hard tranny skid. If it does this is going in as well 4 more quarts of fluid and my heavy duty cooler should be nice and Anyone know what model transmission an automatic 2011 jk 4door is?
42rle
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^^Thanks Appreciate that
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

davidsonlaw - when you're wheeling always turn O/D off. Your transmission will lock up in 3rd and stay a lot cooler. If you are going to be running slow then keep it in 4 Low. If you get HOT OIL then pull over, put it in Neutral, and keep the engine running to push the oil through the stock cooler to help cool things down faster.

An extra oil cooler is certainly cheap, and does keep the transmission cooler, but could potentially be a problem with warranty work - especially if you have the lifetime powertrain warranty. I got mixed signals from my dealer - they were OK with my lift, tires, gears, etc., but iffy on the cooler.

Out here wheeling in the desert I haven’t gotten a HOT OIL indicator yet, but if I did I would do as Millermagic suggested and take it to the dealer and have them flush out the old oil and ask them if they have a real cure for the problem. Maybe they’ll install a free oil cooler and not mess with your warrantee.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
An extra oil cooler is certainly cheap, and does keep the transmission cooler, but could potentially be a problem with warranty work - especially if you have the lifetime powertrain warranty. I got mixed signals from my dealer - they were OK with my lift, tires, gears, etc., but iffy on the cooler.
That's weird. Seems I remember the recall saying they will reimburse you if you have previously taken measure to correct the problem. Lot's of folks got reimbursed for the tranny coolers they installed.
Unread 07-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
That's weird. Seems I remember the recall saying they will reimburse you if you have previously taken measure to correct the problem. Lot's of folks got reimbursed for the tranny coolers they installed.
Yeah, that's why I suggested bringing it to the dealer when you get the problem. I'm thinking that since I hadn’t seen the problem they were questioning it, but if you see the problem then that would be their solution.

Over the years I've had many vehicles, and all of the ones with an automatic transmission died before 200k miles, I assume the Jeep transmission will also fail, and I don't want to give the dealer any reason to deny fixing it - not that they won't deny it anyway, but I would hate to have them deny it because I made things better by installing an extra transmission cooler.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've had my (JKUR), aux cooling system in the Northern Nevada Desert for over two years and the tranny fluid has never gotten any hotter that 200° F-and thats in 115° F heat--

Does the same in the Sierras climbing rocky hills !!

I'm more concerned about my tranny burning up, 40 miles from a paved hiwy, than a warranty, so I'll stick with the aux cooling !!

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.