Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hot Oil light

815 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ronjenx 
#1 ·
I drove up to Silverton today on HY 550 and my odometer changed to "Hot Oil". Granted I was pushing it a little hard to keep up and eventually passing a FJ Cruiser. Anyways once that came on the next time I turned it on it said to change the oil. What a great system. However I am now done with conventional Pennzoil and switching to Synthetic. I hope that would help. If you are in the area of Silverton I would recommend going up the trail to Clear Lake...it’s not hard at all but the scenery is awesome!

#2 ·
I drove up to Silverton today on HY 550 and my odometer changed to "Hot Oil". Granted I was pushing it a little hard to keep up and eventually passing a FJ Cruiser. Anyways once that came on the next time I turned it on it said to change the oil. What a great system. However I am now done with conventional Pennzoil and switching to Synthetic. I hope that would help. If you are in the area of Silverton I would recommend going up the trail to Clear Lake...it's not hard at all but the scenery is awesome!
FYI, the hot oil warning refers to your transmission oil. If you knew that, and you refer to changing it to synthetic, the ATF+4 is already synthetic.

#3 ·
Thanks! I thought it referred to engine oil... Which ATF do you use? So if that’s the case does the light mean change my oil or my ATF? I am not due for an oil change for a while...and the last time I took it in they reset the computer.

#4 ·
Thanks! I thought it referred to engine oil... Which ATF do you use? So if that's the case does the light mean change my oil or my ATF? I am not due for an oil change for a while...and the last time I took it in they reset the computer.
The change oil announcement refers to the engine oil.
I use some ATF+4 from Valvoline, I think. As far as I know, all the ATF+4 is systhetic.
The change oil announcement has a history of coming on earlier than most people want to change the engine oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.