Hood lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood lock

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hood lock

Just bought the Mopar hood lock for my jeep. after hearing all the threads of people getting stuff stolen I wanted security.. I just realized just how much could be stolen with out even entering the jeep.. Spod light bar, the soon to be installed under hood air. Has anyone else installed this lock? do you like it compared to the after market ones? I love the feature of it Keying to your keys. I have two pad locks and a hitch lock all keyed to me jeep ignition key.

http://www.amazon.com/Hood-Lock-Wran...opar+hood+lock

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have heard many great things about this lock. Many people use it.
I bought the cheap $19 hood lock and it broke. This MOPAR lock is on my wish-list.

You are smart to do this. It's crazy that Jeep did not install a hood lock of any sort, or wire the alarm system to the hood.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
I have heard many great things about this lock. Many people use it.
I bought the cheap $19 hood lock and it broke. This MOPAR lock is on my wish-list.

You are smart to do this. It's crazy that Jeep did not install a hood lock of any sort, or wire the alarm system to the hood.
SPod is over $300 and is bolted on with 2 screws.. I may even add a plunger switch and tap it into the door so if some one opens the hood the alarm goes off.

Thought of the day
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
2013JK4Rubicon

2013 JK Wrangler 

Mopar makes a hood lock that also uses the ignition key. I think I found mine on Amazon or Ebay.
The nice part is once you insert the key into the lock, you can not get it out, until it is locked again.
2013 10A JKU ANVIL - Metal Cloak (MC) GC & 6-Pak shocks, MC Overland innner & outer Fenders, rock sliders and lower body armor,5:13's, ARTEC Axle Truss, 3 piston SS calipers,Tom Woods 1310 shafts, MT 37" ATZ-P3's, SPOD, Genisis Dual Battery Holder & Isolator w/ dual Optima's, Warn 9.5 CTI-S & Pro Link, ARB CKMTA12 w/ CMM ARB Compressor Underseat Mount, Rigid Industries 40" E-2, 2-SRQ's out back, 4-D2 drivers up front, XRC Atlas rear bumper and tire carrier, GOBI Rack, Truck Vault w/110V power inverter & ARB 50QT
2013JK4Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The product is "sPOD"--

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It's crazy that Jeep did not install a hood lock of any sort, or wire the alarm system to the hood.
Why would they, when they can sell it afterwards for almost $200? I really liked this until I saw the price.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
tomsryt
2012 JK Wrangler 

Get it. If you don't have a 1/4 pop rivet tool, use 1/4x20 tip bolts about a half or three quarter long. It's a little clumsy using bolts, I used some vas alien and/or magnets to hold the nuts for threading.
Well worth it though, if just for the peace of mind.
Get an ignition-keyed gas cap too, no need for all those keys ripping holes in your pockets.
tomsryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsryt View Post
Get it. If you don't have a 1/4 pop rivet tool, use 1/4x20 tip bolts about a half or three quarter long. It's a little clumsy using bolts, I used some vas alien and/or magnets to hold the nuts for threading.
Well worth it though, if just for the peace of mind.
Get an ignition-keyed gas cap too, no need for all those keys ripping holes in your pockets.
where do you buy the gas cap?

Thought of the day
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
This MOPAR lock is on my wish-list.
Happy - If you figure out how to get the MOPAR lock to work while your intercooler is installed - let us know. I'd like to do this myself.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
OldJeeper
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
Just bought the Mopar hood lock for my jeep. after hearing all the threads of people getting stuff stolen I wanted security.. I just realized just how much could be stolen with out even entering the jeep.. Spod light bar, the soon to be installed under hood air. Has anyone else installed this lock? do you like it compared to the after market ones? I love the feature of it Keying to your keys. I have two pad locks and a hitch lock all keyed to me jeep ignition key.

http://www.amazon.com/Hood-Lock-Wran...opar+hood+lock
I got the Mopar hood lock. I paid around $122, which included shipping, off ebay from a Jeep dealer.

It was pretty easy to install. Taking my time, I don't think I even spent 20 minutes.

I bought a 1/4" pop rivet gun at Harbor Freight, with their 25% coupon that's in most papers on Sunday.
OldJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
Ripped08
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBasturd View Post
Happy - If you figure out how to get the MOPAR lock to work while your intercooler is installed - let us know. I'd like to do this myself.
What he said... Can I get the grill out with Ripp Inter cooler
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBasturd View Post
Damn, forgot about that little bump in the road. Guess it's back to Zip-Ties. (hope the thief doesn't have a knife, lol)

I guess the alternative would be locking hood straps (i.e. Rampage). I'd be impressed if someone could remove my RIPP SC in less time than I usually leave my Jeep out of my sight.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

How about the Tuffy one. It's a lot cheaper, smaller I think, mounts to the side, and would be matched to all their other compartment locks if you are concerned about theft.

Check and see if you have hood flutter still, I have read that it goes away with a hood lock.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
huckfinn
2012 JK Wrangler 

Question for those of you who have the Mopar lock. I asked a local Jeep service department to install one and the rep strongly advised me not to. They have had too many issues with salt/road grime clogging up the mechanism resulting in them having to drill the lock out.

So do any of you have one of these in the salt belt had any issues? I know it comes with a rubber cover and I would lube it up with silicon grease often, but just wanting anyone's experience. I really like the idea of having it keyed to the ignition to save on having another key, but don't want to be stuck with a locked hood I cannot open.
huckfinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ I don't think you'll have to worry about it if you take care of the lock. The ones the dealer was talking about are the same kind of people who need a computer system to remind them to puff up their tire pressure.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.