Hood Flutter! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood Flutter!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
leojam73
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hood Flutter!

Hi all,

The JK hood flutter on the highway is really starting to annoy me ! Has anyone addressed the issue and what have you used?

I've seen a few options, but I can't seem to make up my mind.

Thanks

Joe

leojam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

What you see is what you get. Daystar, zip ties, remove spring, AEV hood and Drake. I think thatís it. It bugs us all but we actually get used to it somewhat.
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Huh... I've never noticed it except when crossing paths with a semi-truck. It used to be REALLY bad on my YJ, like, to the point where I thought the hold downs were going to break.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
Huh... I've never noticed it except when crossing paths with a semi-truck. It used to be REALLY bad on my YJ, like, to the point where I thought the hold downs were going to break.
Same here with the JK ^^

It has scared the heck outa me a few times.

That new Drake hold down looks good, but it has a small plastic coated cable that looks like it would rub the paint at highway speeds.
Unread 08-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
riverzendz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Take the spring off of the hood. I did that two years ago after noticing the flutter and it never happened again. Took 5 minutes and it was free.

Woods, www.jeepswag.com, has a nifty little fix as well. I think he sends it free with any purchase. Consists of some square steel and a zip tie. Works like a champ.
riverzendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
Res6cue
2009 JK Wrangler 

Doesn't bother me any more as long as I can see my hood latches are closed
Res6cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

I put a skid row front skid plate on after i ripped the plastic POS off during a recovery. With Stock bumpers it is a bolt up mod and with a RR XRD modular it is just two new holes in the stubby. Since putting that on, I have had zero hood bounce, flutter, lift, etc. I think it was $58 and looks way better than the plastic as well as offers far more protection for the swaybar disco motor (if you have it). I have since put a 2" spacer lift on the front end with a 1" on the rear end and was wondering if nosing the rig up in the front would bring back my flutter but it has not. So spend a few pennies, look better, protect better, and get rid of the flutter.
"The World was large, now it is small. It was lonely, now it is crowded. It was dark, now the lights are on. Some day the old will be new again. Keep your guns close but your sword closer. For one day Man will again fear the dark of the World."
--The Zombie Prophet
FC2TurboMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
limelight76
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Same here with the JK ^^

It has scared the heck outa me a few times.

That new Drake hold down looks good, but it has a small plastic coated cable that looks like it would rub the paint at highway speeds.
I have the Drake hold downs and LOVE them. However, they are a bit expensive. The cables have never once touched the paint or moved the slightest at highway speeds. Pics below. I think some people have taken some videos of them at highway speeds that also confirm this. You may want to do a search if you are interested.

limelight76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
Purdo

One of the threads on here mentioned that the rubber hold downs on the 2010 JKs are stronger. I believe this, as mine got hit in the fender/hood and when they replaced that hold down, I notice that only the other side flutters now. So, the simple answer appears to be, go to your Jeep parts department and order a set of new hold downs.
Purdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine fluttered bad after a 3'' lift and removing the air dam. I reinforced the rubber with zip ties, and I may have to remove the hood spring as well.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
kik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdo View Post
One of the threads on here mentioned that the rubber hold downs on the 2010 JKs are stronger. I believe this, as mine got hit in the fender/hood and when they replaced that hold down, I notice that only the other side flutters now. So, the simple answer appears to be, go to your Jeep parts department and order a set of new hold downs.
X2. Have a 10 Rubi and no hood flutter.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
JBravo41
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've had two 2010's and both have hood flutter...

Bravo
JBravo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
hkenny90
2007 JK Wrangler 

just run some Velcro around the rubber to anchor it, worked great for me, and i already had the Velcro so no brainier
hkenny90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Voyame
2007 JK Wrangler 

I put a small hose clamp on the center latch. Adjusted it til it hooked with just a little push on the hood. It's a two step operation to open the hood but not a problem at all.
Voyame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #15
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

I put the Daystar hood wranglers on ...... problem solved .....
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood flutter , hood latches , JK Wrangler , problem , solution , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.