Homemade lightbar/rack writeup part 1 (picture happy) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Homemade lightbar/rack writeup part 1 (picture happy)

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
The galvanized metal won't hold the paint very well without some prep.
I used a phosphoric acid wash to etch and clean the surface on all of the EMT before painting.
I'm not sure if just sanding the surface is enough
You can get the acid at most paint stores or home centers.
Thats good info, I forgot all about that. Im checking to see if homedepot has some, if not I will just try rough sanding first. Hopefully the primer will stick to it.

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Finished

After I welded the bars up to the brackets I started working on the actual light bar. First welded up some end caps.

Next was to weld up some brackets for the lights

Well from the welding my bar got warped in a tad, so I had to bend it back out.

Same process can be used on a bent axles tube
Test fitting

I taped it in place and tacked welded the crap out of it while it was on the jeep to make sure it didnt move.
Next was welding it up.

I sanded it and got all the nicks and dings out the best I could, cleaned up some welds and used some heavy duty cleaning solution before I used a couple coats of spray on primer.

It was fast drying primer, after that I hung it in the garage for the final coats

I ended up using semi gloss black as opposed to the royal blue mainly because I wanted to spray it and the brush on would of left streaks.
Final product

I did drill some holes for the electrical wires below the light mounts so I can run the wires inside the tubes. If you notice I ran some hay wire through the tubes before I welded the vertical on, if I didnt I would never of been able to fish the wires through do to the 90 degree angle.

My bday is coming up in 2 months, maybe will get some lights perhaps. Prolly will be some cheap HID spots for the mid and floods for the sides. Thinking of Eagel Eye 4" at the moment, let me know what you all think of those. To me it turned out really well for my first real project and has definitely saved me some $$$. I will update this thread when I start working on the rack itself. I want to beef up my front d44 before that and maybe add some rockrails.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not that I think the Eagle Eye Driving Beam HIDs are that good (at least the 6" ones I have, I'm not impressed with), but I think for the price, that floods are kinda a waste as an HID... The 6" EE HID Driving Beams I have have a crappy beam pattern, but they light up all sorts of ****, and would probably look at those over a flood as they scatter a lot of light outside the light pattern.

Maybe they tightened things up with the 4" lights, but that's just my thoughts & 2 cents.
Unread 08-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #19
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Awesome job Warlord2 ! .........
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #20
KrissyBean
2007 JK Wrangler 

wow thats really cool! love the play by play in the pictures!
KrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks really good man, the A pillar brackets look perfect. Can't wait to see some lights up there; it looks like you already drilled some holes to run the wiring?
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #22
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

hey so i was curious if it already bent arent you worried about it bending more especially once you put lights on it?
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the compliments, I did drill holes already and will get some wires pulled tonight so everything will be ready for the lights. I want the lights be easily taken off so the connections will be quick disconnect style. The only reason the bar bent was from the welding wich can warp just about anything, and I will have to be careful about that when welding up my axle sleeves. No way are lights going to bend that EMT, I had to use a jack just to bend it back.
Think I will check out the Wal Mart halogen lights and see how cheap they are, I too would like to have some lights up there as soon as posible. Those would be temp lights, I really want small square HID or LED in the future. Im going to make a Switch pod that will replace the plastic cover that is over the CD player, trying to find some light sheet metal as we speak.
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #24
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Lights

Got my wiring done and installed some really crappy lights that came from walmart. It was a pain in the A$$ to run the wires through the bar, had to do it really carefully as to not nick them on the 90 deg turn.

Not sure how everyone else is running there light bar wires to under the hood but I went right behind the hood hing and past the seal. I cut out the firewall gromet and ran all the wires up under the steering colume and up the center consule to the top of the CD player.

Using 4 different color 12awg and 1 10awg for the main feed, its the green one in the pictures. Yes I know it shouldnt be green but I didnt have any other 10awg colors Im not using any relays, the switchs I have are good for 20amps and Im running 1 light per switch. Making a Pod that will mount on top of the CD player tomarrow for my switches, think I will just bend/weld some sheet metal for it. I wanted to test my lights so I jerry rigged it for the time being.

Lights are from walmart, a par for $25 they are the driving lights. Might get some offroad ones tomarrow but if they are anything like these they will be returned fast.
STOCK

STOCK & WALMART

STOCK

STOCK & WALMART

As you can see they do make a little difference but Im getting glare from the hood, and pretty much have to be pointed up to fix it. I MIGHT keep them for some backup lights once I get the rear bars up, I dont think they would be bad at all for that. The Offroad 6" lights from walmart were sold out so I might try another store tomarrow, they have a 90 day return policy so its not like Im going to loose anything if I dont like them...Anyways Im just glad I got the wiring mess out of the way.
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #25
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Great fab work, the light bar looks nice...But I want to see what's in that big ol safe you got there
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:12 AM   #26
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

That big ol safe is just one of 3 that I have running around. Everyone in my family is big into guns.
Nothing like military style just hunting and play guns.

Returned those square lights and picked up some Hella 500FF and walmarts rally 100 watt offroad lights.

Still getting bad hood reflection.

Rally 100watt offroad 6"

One of the glass covers was cracked on the Hellas so will be returning them. I did wire up one to see how it would look and they are about the same brightness as those but only 55 watts and has a little wider beam for driving. Still got hood glare from them.

OK so what is a decent Halogen or HID light that is going to get me the least about of glare and has a spot beam? Im scared to order anything now unless I know for a fact it will have a tight beam....
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #27
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Light Force will give you a nice tight beam , you will get some hood glare though but a couple of glare shields on the bottom will help with that .
I have Light Force on my windshield mounts and a very happy with the long range beam ...... the hood glare doesn't bother me that much but I do have a plan to deal with it .
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #28
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

You’re always going to have hood glare because your lights are to far to the front. About the only option is to re-do the light rack and move the lights rearward or paint your hood flat black.

Nice job by the way. Love to see people build their own stuff.
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #29
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
You’re always going to have hood glare because your lights are to far to the front. About the only option is to re-do the light rack and move the lights rearward or paint your hood flat black.

Nice job by the way. Love to see people build their own stuff.
Agreed... very nice.

I also had bad hood glare with my lights mounted on the windshield mount. I ended up rewiring them and putting them on the grill guard on my bumper.
Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy , JK Wrangler , light bar , roof rack , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.