Home made trunk cover for JK? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Home made trunk cover for JK?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #46
saceone

ah ok I thought it was a MTL based club or something.
PM me if you ever go wheeling, I'm sick and tired of ATV sized trails with mud pits in Terrebonne.

saceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #47
Neoxxis
2007 JK Wrangler 

Will do!
10-4.
[/hijack]
Unread 01-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #48
rizzohd
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxxis View Post
Do the tie down rings rattle at all?
I like it.
I plan to close the back of the seat too next summer...
They did rattle when not in use so I put a hose in them when I'm not useing them.
p1220005.jpg   p1220006.jpg   p1220008.jpg   p1220007.jpg  
rizzohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #49
Dolbydarma
2012 JK Wrangler 

Can the rear seat headrests be laid down like this picture on the 2011 Unlimited??? I can"t figure out a way to do it on mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxxis View Post
Ok, back from vacation...

I completed the cover before leaving and it worked great.

I completed phase 2 from tailgate to roll cage.
Added stability bars under the cover to reduce flex.

Final shots:

Hand saw curve!!

10-4!
Dolbydarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #50
stubbornspot
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolbydarma View Post
Can the rear seat headrests be laid down like this picture on the 2011 Unlimited??? I can"t figure out a way to do it on mine
You have to fold the seat about half way forward, and then when you put it back hold the headrest so it can't go back up into position. You notice he has the bungee cords on it, the headrests will have to be strapped down in some way to keep from popping back up. It's amazing how much they obstruct your view!
stubbornspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #51
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzohd View Post
Here is mine.
Can you post more pics?
JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #52
rizzohd
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD140 View Post
Can you post more pics?
Try Jeep builds (wrangler trunk build)
rizzohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #53
nhjku
2010 JK Wrangler 

looks good!
nhjku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #54
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm thinking of making one but covering it with spray bed liner to protect the wood from water damage.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #55
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

I was going to go this route but ordered a Tuffy Security Deck instead. I couldn't find sheets of the aluminum diamond plate easily.
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #56
Jollydodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
I'm thinking of making one but covering it with spray bed liner to protect the wood from water damage.
Painting it seems like a very good idea. In fact anyone doing this and not putting something on the wood is begging for warping, mold and mildew problems, maybe even rot eventually. If it gets muddy I would want to be able to hose it off.

The problem with bed liner is that it is so thick that I can see it coming off in sheets with some flexing and vibration on the wooden deck. Most definitely prime well first to set up a good surface for the bed liner to bond to. Primer penetrates the wood grain and grabs hold, then the top coat has something good to bond to and won't just pull, peel or flake off.

Sounds tempting, but I think I would do a demo first to see what the properties of wood and bed liner together are like.
Jollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #57
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollydodger View Post
Sounds tempting, but I think I would do a demo first to see what the properties of wood and bed liner together are like.
I've never worked with bed liner so thanks for the info. So would the liner not soak into the raw wood at all?
If I just covered it in carpet what would be a good way to "waterproof" the wood? Some kind of sealant? Do they have pressure treated plywood?
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #58
Jollydodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
I've never worked with bed liner so thanks for the info. So would the liner not soak into the raw wood at all?
If I just covered it in carpet what would be a good way to "waterproof" the wood? Some kind of sealant? Do they have pressure treated plywood?
I think bed liner is too thick to soak into the wood at all, it will stick to the surface, and that might be enough. I don't know for sure.

I would probably just get some primer like Bins, Kilz, Bullseye which are good primer sealers. Bins is alcohol based, heavy smell going on, but is probably the best, or Kilz. Once it is dry there is no odor.

It is not recommended to use products meant for outside on inside (confined spaces) applications. Even after dry exterior paint, stain, sealers are still gassing off.

There is pressure treated plywood, it's ultra over kill for this application and loaded with toxic chemicals, although not as much as it used to.
Jollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #59
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Or use polyurethane on it which is exactly what it is intended to do, repel water.
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #60
cntryislandboy
2008 JK Wrangler 

looks really great, exactly what i was looking to do with mine, i just have one question(so far). and i apologize if i missed it, but what piece is that, that runs from one side to the other, the one you see when the back gate is open.

Tags
d.i.y. trunk cover , JK Wrangler , rear cover , trunk cover , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.