Home made trunk cover for JK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Home made trunk cover for JK?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-21-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Neoxxis
2007 JK Wrangler 

Home made trunk cover for JK?

Hey!

I see many home made "trunk covers" made out of 3/4 plywood and such.

Anyone has plans or measurements or pictures for an Unlimited JK?

I'm looking for just a top, that would go from the rear seat to the tailgate, side to side under the body lip... Or something.

Thanks!

Unread 07-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
ak67sd
2008 JK Wrangler 

I will be making one soon... i made a cardboard template, just have to get ambitious... i think i'm going to use 16ga aluminum that overlaps the side where the hardtop screws to so that i can use those holes/screws to hold it... it will work with either the hard or soft top... I was going to hinge it in the middle so that it will be easy to fold and stow in the back of the jeep if not required.
1/2" plywood and black carpet over...if anyone has pics of theirs and other ideas i'd like to see some too!

ak
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ive got a 2010 2 door Rubicon and would like to see some pics of what you guys are talking about, its like a shelf? what does it rest on to form a trunk, the top of the tub? mine is a soft top if that makes a difference, thanks
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe this will help:

After making a cardboard cutout, I cut out plywood. I actually used advantek engineered plywood.

Next, I coated the wood with contact cement and stapled some automotive carpet (Wal-Mart) tightly to the wood.

After cutting and covering a piece for between the rollbars and tailgate, I mounted a 36" piano hinge to allow for access without removing the entire cover.

Finally I put both pieces in place and finished connecting the two with the piano hinge.

If one of you lived close by, I would give you the one I made because I recently got rid of my JK.
09 GMC(work truck)
Treeslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
ls6tt
2010 JK Wrangler 

nice mp 15-22, I have the same gun
ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6tt View Post
nice mp 15-22, I have the same gun
That is one of my favorite guns. It is accurate and ammo is cheap.
09 GMC(work truck)
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #7
Neoxxis
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeslam View Post
Maybe this will help:

After making a cardboard cutout, I cut out plywood. I actually used advantek engineered plywood.

Next, I coated the wood with contact cement and stapled some automotive carpet (Wal-Mart) tightly to the wood.

After cutting and covering a piece for between the rollbars and tailgate, I mounted a 36" piano hinge to allow for access without removing the entire cover.

Finally I put both pieces in place and finished connecting the two with the piano hinge.

If one of you lived close by, I would give you the one I made because I recently got rid of my JK.
Very nice!!!

So you can lift the rear part while it's on?

Unread 07-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Grant211
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeslam View Post
Maybe this will help:

I really like this... Quick question... did you just lay it on the jk or is it "bolted" somehow to the jk?
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hoo boy! I can see many weekends building JK mods in the near future. This has to be one of them!

I think I will use two sections of piano hinge, though. I will run a second one down the center of the larger section so that if needed it can be removed, folded in half and laid flat in the cargo area for hauling oversize items.

Now I need to work out fasteners. I'd like something that doesn't require tools to remove and fastens underneath so that the lid can't be removed without opening the tailgate. Should make for semi secure storage when the soft top is down.

Last edited by jstrubberg; 07-23-2010 at 07:04 AM..
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
I really like this... Quick question... did you just lay it on the jk or is it "bolted" somehow to the jk?

The cover does just lay in place. I thought of bolting it in if anyone tampered with it but never had a problem. I actually built it so I could have a place out of sight to put things. Anyway, I read your PM and will research a shipping method and get back with you.
09 GMC(work truck)
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxxis View Post
Very nice!!!

So you can lift the rear part while it's on?

Yes, with the piano hinge, you can actually hinge up the back piece for quick access.
09 GMC(work truck)
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Neoxxis
2007 JK Wrangler 

Update time!

I started phase 1 today...

Inspired by the previous pics, I made the first part from seat to roll cage.
Contact glued carpet, holes to bolt the cover to the Hard top nut inserts...

So that's it for today.
Next part to be done next week.

[Note: I put temporary carpet stripes under the cover for now so that the glue and paint do not stick to the Jeep's body...]

10-4 and thanks for the inspiration.

Unread 07-26-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

looks nice, where did you get the carpet from, and the fire ext that matches the color of your jeep, I have a 2010 Rubicon Rescue Green....nice work!
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #14
Neoxxis
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
looks nice, where did you get the carpet from, and the fire ext that matches the color of your jeep, I have a 2010 Rubicon Rescue Green....nice work!
Carpet from Reno Depot...
Some kind of exterior carpet... Came in 6'x9'...

(I made a scratch/climbing "tree" for our new cat with this carpet 2 weeks ago and this stuff is fun to play with so I applied it to the Jeep! )

And standard white extinguisher painted with the Rescue Green rattle can from the dealer...
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #15
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I was all set to work on one of these this week. After looking aroudn inside the tub and taking measurements, I've run into a snag. Are you guys doing this leaving a slot along the edge for the front hard top bow to fall into when you put the soft top down?
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d.i.y. trunk cover , JK Wrangler , rear cover , trunk cover , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.