Hmmm...thinking of putting 33" Tires on stock wheels. Have 1 question first? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hmmm...thinking of putting 33" Tires on stock wheels. Have 1 question first?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 10-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
USHotRod
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm...thinking of putting 33" Tires on stock wheels. Have 1 question first?

Not will it rub....but what is it rubbing?

I have a 2" AEV Spacer Lift. Does this satisfy the rubbing problem to put 287/70/17 Duratracs on? I see that the sticky says I should be good...but I've been told otherwise.

Thanks.

USHotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you install a wider tire and don't compensate with either a different wheel or a wheel spacer to push the tire away then your tire could end up rubbing some of the suspension components.

The other type of rubbing occurs when your Jeep flexes its suspension without a lift and it typically rubs the fenders, bumper or body.

Clear as mud?

OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

We need something on the sticky along the lines of what he just said. It should also say: If it rubs the suspension a little, you'll need wheel spacers and if touches the fenders a little you'll need extra bump-stop or flat fenders.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

x2
------------------------------------
08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ fully locked
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
We need something on the sticky along the lines of what he just said. It should also say: If it rubs the suspension a little, you'll need wheel spacers and if touches the fenders a little you'll need extra bump-stop or flat fenders.
Done!
Really, go look!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
joeyc
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm running a 33x12x17 on a stock rubicon rim with a 1.5" leveling kit plenty of fender clearance and a 1.5" wheelspacer spidertrac no rubbing front or rear.. Let me tell you I had the tires on about 4 days without the wheel spacers and my front rubbed like **** on the sway bar link... once I got the spacers on sweet fine no problems even at full lock. Without the 1.5" lift it rubs the fender wells even on the slightest bumps... remove your rear splash guard and it gives a little bit more room.
2011 2dr Natural Green | 1.5" Teraflex Leveling Kit | Unlimited Springs | SkyJacker Hydro Shocks | 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers | 17" Rubi Rims Painted Carbon | 1.5" Spidertrax Spacer | Bed Lined Tub | RR Mirror Relocations | Manual Transmission | Soft Top | Gutter Guard Grill | Painted Grill | Smoked Turn Signals | Front and Rear diff Covers in Blue | Extended Breather Hoses | Customs Bumper
joeyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't forget about the front air dam
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
USHotRod
2011 JK Wrangler 

Oye...maybe I will just go with the new wheels then. Seems almost more of a hassle to use stock wheels. Although I do like the look of them.
USHotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Same amount of hassle whether you use the spacers or the proper backspaced wheels. If you like the stock wheels just get the spacers and you're good to go!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.