Hitch Attachments? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hitch Attachments?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 06-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hitch Attachments?

I was wondering if anybody ran into a similar issues. I ordered the JK knowing that the stock hitch was a 2" and the bike rack and cargo carrier that I used on my old ZJ were the same size.

Never thought about this, but this past weekend my wife wanted to take her bike to the trails. When I installed the Yakima BigHorn 4 Hitch Mounted Bike Carrier, the top 1/2" neck of the carrier was making an indent into the spare tire. Not much of a problem, thinking I could get a short extension plus I could live without being able to open the tailgate with it on.

Then the next morning looking at the Jeep, I decided to try the Rola Railed Cargo Carrier that has an angled shank that we use to go to the beach. Clears the tire fine, but no way I will be able to open the tailgate. Probably need to drop it 6" for the tire to clear the rail.

Has others had similar issues, bought attachments, or did I buy the wrong carriers years ago? Thanks

jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm not familiar with those 2 carriers, but have you tried removing the tires and putting the whole thing in the back? Or are they fragile (alum/carbon) street bikes??
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I use the carrier to haul stuff (fire wood, grill, etc) that didn't fit in the back of the ZJ to the beach. I was hopping to do the same with the JK, but I cant open the tailgate with the carrier on. The bike rack is not as much as an issue since I can put the helmets and my rollerblades over the back seat.
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
offinthewoods
2008 JK Wrangler 

i ran into the same problem with my thule hitch bike rack. read a few posts about people using 6"-12" hitch extenders but i just decided to go ahead and get a thule 963 bike rack (holds 2 bikes) that mounts to the spare tire. of course you're not going to want to put a lot of weight on this unless you have a swing away tire carrier, but its an option for now. as for the rear carrier you have, i could think that your only option would be the hitch extender. a few people said they got theirs pretty cheap at stores such as tractor supply or i believe even quadratec has them too.

hope that helps.
offinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Don't know the carrier you use. I have the Harbor Freight one and no problems. Can load large coolers without touching the spare. Can also open the tailgate without removing it. In fact it made a great table/cook stand when we were in the desert.
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
keltonkrew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJK View Post
Don't know the carrier you use. I have the Harbor Freight one and no problems. Can load large coolers without touching the spare. Can also open the tailgate without removing it. In fact it made a great table/cook stand when we were in the desert.
I have the one cargo rack from Northern Tool (prob similar to Harbour Freight). I can open the gate when the carrier is empty. holds 2 coolers and trash sack good. but it's not a bike carrier!
keltonkrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

The carrier that I bought a few years ago doesn't extend straight out from the hitch, it comes out and angles upwards a few inches before it levels off again. Plus it has about a 2-3" rail around it.

I did see something today about a double hitch adaptor, one at the same level and the other is about 7" up or down (depending on how it is installed). I'm going to look into it some more.
Unread 06-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Anyone have problems with the hitch extenders being loose? My bike rocks back and forth when loaded on my Yakima rack. It's not going anywhere, just odd to see it moving side to side and front to back as the hitch extender is not an exact fit. Any suggestions for tightening it up? I don't want to secure againt the tire as that's going to put addtl stress on tailgate.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

I use wood shims at times for a quick fix if my accessory isn't drilled for my "wobble bar", descibed here: A better way to do it is to use a 1/4" steel bar about 2 1/2" wide and maybe 6" or 8" long, drilled and tapped for a about a 1/2" bolt about 4/5 of the way from one end. Bend the bar about 15* on the opposite end from where you plan to drill it at about the 1/4 of length mark. Use a bench vice, and a BFH, maybe some heat too.

Drill the extender using a 5/8" bit, big enough to accept the 1/2" bolt. Put the bar on the bottom of the extender, bent end underlaying the tail end of the receiver and tighten the bolt. Tightening the bolt will force the end of the bar near the bend to "cinch down" on the receiver, the drilled end to "cinch down" on the extender or accessory, eliminating wobble.

In addition to other tools, I keep a dedicated box end wrench in the jeep just for tightening the bolt. A bolt and nylock nut would work too, I think, if you don't have a cheap/easy way to tap the bar (but you would need two wrenches). One bar works for many accessory racks or extenders, so long as they are drilled to accept the bolt.

BTW, the idea isn't mine, a fishing rod rack/cooler rack that I bought came with one. Works great, eliminates the wobble, which I find really annoying, especially if whatever accessory rack I'm using is in the front receiver.

Hope this helps,

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgen251 View Post
Any suggestions for tightening it up?
KISS: Duct tape around the carrier shank, as many wraps as it needs to fit snug
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
KISS: Duct tape around the carrier shank, as many wraps as it needs to fit snug
Duct tape....is there anything it CAN'T do?

A good easy tip as well..thx to both.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Insane_Bee
2008 JK Wrangler 

I use the Tow Ready anti rattle device, Anti-Rattle Device and Lock for 2" Trailer Hitches Tow Ready Locks,Hitch Accessories 63232, on my Rola cargo carrier, http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Rola/59502, and it works great. I do not have any photos of it mounted on my Jeep, but do have some photos of my Tahoe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.