Hit by Bus Today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hit by Bus Today

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hit by Bus Today

So this morning driving to work my JK was side swipped by a city bus. My right front hit his left rear. He crushed the whole right side of the bumper but other than that the damage (cosmetically) was not too bad. However, when I was moving my car into the closest parking lot to get out of the way of rush hour traffic, and wait for the cops, my traction control light and my esp/bas light came on and have not turned off. The steering wheel is also now off and pulling to the right.

There is no fluid leaking at this point either

I am assuming that something broke esp related on the right wheel. Is it possible that if your alignment gets knocked off center it could possibly mess with your esp? Has anything similar happened to anyone else? Let me know if you need more info.

I will get pics of the damage posted later.

Thanks in advance!

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

If the alignment is out of whack, the esp light is going to come on.
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Swagger
2008 JK Wrangler 

^^x2^^ yup, something got bent during the wreck. Be sure to have the adjuster look at front end.

Glad no one was hurt,
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would check your drag link, tie rod, and track bar. When the bus hit you, it's likely the jerk caused the tie rod and drag link to both adjust, messing up your toe setting and your steering wheel center. You can check and set it back to normal with 5 minutes and a tape measure. I would check everything else to make sure nothing is bent. Control arms, control arm brackets, etc.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhight View Post
^^x2^^ yup, something got bent during the wreck. Be sure to have the adjuster look at front end.

Glad no one was hurt,
Yup no one was hurt thank god..there were 22 people in the bus too! Anyway to update you the jeep is at a body shop (recommended by Progressive) waiting on the claims adjuster to come do an estimate (fingers crossed). I should find out tomorrow what the bottom line will be.

Unread 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Also, the more I think about it. Rather than pay for the shop to replace my bumper. I am just gonna hack off the two sides that extend across the front tires. It will save me some money and be a cheap way to remove the damage until I replace it with something more functional.

Anyone do this to your JK..Pics??

Unread 09-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
JkRyder
2008 JK Wrangler 

lots, search bumper cut oem prob will work, im gonna do it sooner than later as well
JkRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
robsbluerub
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cooney,

Steering wheel MUST be straight or you get the lights. I wheeled mine this weekend and now the steering wheel is off. My superchips programmer says "steering comparative sensor." Haven't figured out what moved yet.

Whatever you do don't bring it home unless the steering wheel is straight when the wheels are straight.
2007 JK 2dr Rubicon, 3" Black Diamond Lift, 35" KM2s, M/T Classic IIs, Rancho shocks, Mopar bumpers, 8000 lb winch, Ace rock sliders, Skid Row engine/oil pan skid, evap skid, Tom Woods driveshafts, Riddler diff covers, rear adjustable upper control arms, chromoly rear shafts, Reid knuckles, Synergy chromoly tie rod, track bar, and flipped drag link.
robsbluerub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsbluerub View Post
Cooney,

Steering wheel MUST be straight or you get the lights. I wheeled mine this weekend and now the steering wheel is off. My superchips programmer says "steering comparative sensor." Haven't figured out what moved yet.

Whatever you do don't bring it home unless the steering wheel is straight when the wheels are straight.
Keep me posted on what you find. The jeep is at the shop until the allignment and whatever else broke or bent is fixed. Insurance and SEPTA (Pennsylvania Transit) are taking care of this one.

Do you remember a specific point while wheeling when that could of happened to you?

Unread 09-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
robsbluerub
2007 JK Wrangler 

No idea other than it happened on the second day and the hardest obstacle was that day. But that was uphill and very little stress on the front end. It has only been 3,000 miles since my lift was installed and this was my first wheeling.

Hope everything comes out good for you and your jeep.
2007 JK 2dr Rubicon, 3" Black Diamond Lift, 35" KM2s, M/T Classic IIs, Rancho shocks, Mopar bumpers, 8000 lb winch, Ace rock sliders, Skid Row engine/oil pan skid, evap skid, Tom Woods driveshafts, Riddler diff covers, rear adjustable upper control arms, chromoly rear shafts, Reid knuckles, Synergy chromoly tie rod, track bar, and flipped drag link.
robsbluerub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Do not want to hijack the thread, but wanted to respond ot robsbluerub -
I have had the same problem with steering getting out of alignment after a hard obstacle - have never figured out what causes it - but several JK owners have reported this. I have triple checked the entire front end and re torqued the entire lift. I just re-adjust steering and forget about it. The 4wd shop cannot find anything bent, broken or twisted either FWIW...always on a hard rock obstacle that takes some wheel twisting to get through - last time was on Hill No. 10 on the Georgia Pass alternate route in CO (see my avatar for start of this route)
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 05:17 AM   #12
Djay101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

where is the pics??
Djay101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 05:27 AM   #13
nemoek
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay101 View Post
where is the pics??
WOW!! Way to resurrect an old thread!
[QUOTE=Rik84;8868189]If someone mails me a letter about why my newish to me Jeep sucks I will personally poop in a paperbag and mail it back to them.[/QUOTE]
nemoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #14
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

fail !!!
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #15
Djay101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

september isnt that old..
Djay101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.