JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Hit by Bus Today (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/hit-bus-today-862976/)

Cooneys08JK 09-22-2009 12:38 PM

Hit by Bus Today

So this morning driving to work my JK was side swipped by a city bus. My right front hit his left rear. He crushed the whole right side of the bumper but other than that the damage (cosmetically) was not too bad. However, when I was moving my car into the closest parking lot to get out of the way of rush hour traffic, and wait for the cops, my traction control light and my esp/bas light came on and have not turned off. The steering wheel is also now off and pulling to the right.

There is no fluid leaking at this point either

I am assuming that something broke esp related on the right wheel. Is it possible that if your alignment gets knocked off center it could possibly mess with your esp? Has anything similar happened to anyone else? Let me know if you need more info.

I will get pics of the damage posted later.

Thanks in advance!

terrahawk 09-22-2009 12:41 PM

If the alignment is out of whack, the esp light is going to come on.

Swagger 09-22-2009 12:47 PM

^^x2^^ yup, something got bent during the wreck. Be sure to have the adjuster look at front end.:rtft:

Glad no one was hurt,:thumbsup:

Imped 09-22-2009 12:48 PM

I would check your drag link, tie rod, and track bar. When the bus hit you, it's likely the jerk caused the tie rod and drag link to both adjust, messing up your toe setting and your steering wheel center. You can check and set it back to normal with 5 minutes and a tape measure. I would check everything else to make sure nothing is bent. Control arms, control arm brackets, etc.

Cooneys08JK 09-22-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhight (Post 7972609)
^^x2^^ yup, something got bent during the wreck. Be sure to have the adjuster look at front end.:rtft:

Glad no one was hurt,:thumbsup:

Yup no one was hurt thank god..there were 22 people in the bus too! Anyway to update you the jeep is at a body shop (recommended by Progressive) waiting on the claims adjuster to come do an estimate (fingers crossed). I should find out tomorrow what the bottom line will be.

Cooneys08JK 09-22-2009 01:15 PM

Also, the more I think about it. Rather than pay for the shop to replace my bumper. I am just gonna hack off the two sides that extend across the front tires. It will save me some money and be a cheap way to remove the damage until I replace it with something more functional.

Anyone do this to your JK..Pics??

JkRyder 09-22-2009 03:29 PM

lots, search bumper cut oem prob will work, im gonna do it sooner than later as well

robsbluerub 09-22-2009 06:29 PM

Cooney,

Steering wheel MUST be straight or you get the lights. I wheeled mine this weekend and now the steering wheel is off. My superchips programmer says "steering comparative sensor." Haven't figured out what moved yet.

Whatever you do don't bring it home unless the steering wheel is straight when the wheels are straight.

Cooneys08JK 09-22-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsbluerub (Post 7974735)
Cooney,

Steering wheel MUST be straight or you get the lights. I wheeled mine this weekend and now the steering wheel is off. My superchips programmer says "steering comparative sensor." Haven't figured out what moved yet.

Whatever you do don't bring it home unless the steering wheel is straight when the wheels are straight.

Keep me posted on what you find. The jeep is at the shop until the allignment and whatever else broke or bent is fixed. Insurance and SEPTA (Pennsylvania Transit) are taking care of this one.

Do you remember a specific point while wheeling when that could of happened to you?

robsbluerub 09-22-2009 07:56 PM

No idea other than it happened on the second day and the hardest obstacle was that day. But that was uphill and very little stress on the front end. It has only been 3,000 miles since my lift was installed and this was my first wheeling.

Hope everything comes out good for you and your jeep.

RockyClymer 09-23-2009 09:14 AM

Do not want to hijack the thread, but wanted to respond ot robsbluerub -
I have had the same problem with steering getting out of alignment after a hard obstacle - have never figured out what causes it - but several JK owners have reported this. I have triple checked the entire front end and re torqued the entire lift. I just re-adjust steering and forget about it. The 4wd shop cannot find anything bent, broken or twisted either FWIW...always on a hard rock obstacle that takes some wheel twisting to get through - last time was on Hill No. 10 on the Georgia Pass alternate route in CO (see my avatar for start of this route)

Djay101 05-28-2010 05:17 AM

where is the pics??

nemoek 05-28-2010 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djay101 (Post 9536792)
where is the pics??

WOW!! Way to resurrect an old thread!:rtft:

MacK 05-28-2010 05:49 AM

fail :p!!!

Djay101 05-28-2010 06:12 AM

september isnt that old..

The time now is 11:54 AM.