Hinges, hinges everywhere, and not-a-one with paint! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hinges, hinges everywhere, and not-a-one with paint!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #16
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemissle View Post
... the hinges are alloy of some kind. The problem with the paint is likely to be from the alloy itself, as impurities will work their way out of it with heat cycling...
I think you're on to something there. It may be a combination of factors, but I've never had a problem like this with any of the steel hinges on my past Jeeps.

It's just unfortunate. I've spent countless hours modding and maintaining my past jeeps, but with a baby at home now, I just don't have the time for something that requires so much intervention. That's why I was looking at a newer 4-door Jeep (not to mention that I need the extra room now too). I was hoping to have something that I could just drive without having to do silly maintenance like sanding/painting the hinges after just a couple of years!

98 TJ Sport, 4" Rough Country Lift, homemade discos,
35" BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's, 4.56 gears, Detroit Truetrac
up front, factory Trac-Lok out back,Warn M8274 8000lb
winch, York OBA, rock guards, custom intake, 48" HI Lift.
Gomofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
MrSmiley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomofast
Why is it that nearly every single JK I'm looking at (mostly 07s and 08s), have the paint bubbling/peeling off the door hinges?

Seriously, almost every one I've seen. I'm looking to buy a used 4-door, but I don't want one with corroded door hinges after only a few years. What's the deal?
Because the body and hinges are made of two different types of metal.. and they react over time causing what you are describing
MrSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmiley View Post
Because the body and hinges are made of two different types of metal.. and they react over time causing what you are describing
Yeah, that seems to be what we're finding out here. I think the alloy in the hinges starts to corrode quickly (perhaps even quicker when pelted by road debris), causing the paint to bubble and peel off of them. I wonder if Jeep has a solution.

Unread 02-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #19
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomofast View Post
Well, you live in Nevada, and I live in New York. I'm sure the climate has something to do with it.

Anybody else in the northeast notice this? I mean, I'm talking literally about 19 out of 20 JKs that I've looked at have had this problem. I'm wondering if Jeep would repaint the hinges under warranty perhaps (if the factory warranty hasn't expired)?
Hey guys, newbie here. I have this problem on my 09 JK. I'm out in LI NY.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Anybody know what the warranty is for the rust and corrosion coverage? Isn't it 7 years, 100k?
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
JKatfish
2012 JK Wrangler 

Any pictures? I've heard that there is no paint between the hinge and doors and body.
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #22
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Forgive me for posting this link to another forum, but I found this link with some pics and info about repairs under warranty...
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1073323

Unread 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
MrSmiley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomofast

Yeah, that seems to be what we're finding out here. I think the alloy in the hinges starts to corrode quickly (perhaps even quicker when pelted by road debris), causing the paint to bubble and peel off of them. I wonder if Jeep has a solution.
I highly doubt they have a solution.. or even want to acknowledge it sadly :/ but I gave heard you can get them replaced even if your warrenty is out
MrSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
mikeinminn
2007 JK Wrangler 

This is a constant problem up here in Minnesota. It is also a problem for older TJs that have aluminum mirror mounts and rear door hinges. Thing is, the rocks are thrown up at an angle. The longer the vehicle, the more exposure the hinges that are low or in back have. The part of the hinge that is attached to the body is steel. The part that is attached to the door is aluminum. Still, even if it wasn't for the rocks, corrosion still seems to attack the aluminum as others have said.

You can get those little plastic caps to go over your hinges. But if I had it to do over, I would get that clear plastic they use on the clear bras and fenders sometimes and apply it to the leading edge of the hinges.
mikeinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
BLK2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
Anybody know what the warranty is for the rust and corrosion coverage? Isn't it 7 years, 100k?
I think it's 5 years 100,00 miles.. My dealership repainted the hinges on my '08 last spring under warranty (75,000 miles). They acted like they were doing me a favor.
BLK2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is this warranty transferable to secondary owners?

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK2000TJ View Post
I think it's 5 years 100,00 miles.. My dealership repainted the hinges on my '08 last spring under warranty (75,000 miles). They acted like they were doing me a favor.
Yeah, thanks. Dealers have a knack of acting like that...
Unread 02-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #28
tturkstra
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is a very common problem in Canada, whether you wheel a lot or not. I've had mine resprayed 3 times under the warranty (pretty much yearly). Since the last respray 2 years ago, the rust never came back but my right rear door is really hard to open. I'm planning to go stainless when this happens again, if I can find some black stainless hinges, but it's not cheap.

The problem is the dissimilar metals in the hinge allowing an electolytic reaction.

Tags
door , door hinge , hinges , paint

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.