high steer w/ ARTEC truss kit Qs??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > high steer w/ ARTEC truss kit Qs???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
There is no reason not to upgrade the track bar. The stock one is complete garbage. Replacing it with a QUALITY track bar is probably the single best thing for handling/steering.

With raising the axle side bracket, you do need to flip the drag link. You can go cheap with a stock RHD drag link end (comes with AEV) or a quality one like synergy. 15" wheels probably won't clear unless spaced way out. And as spyder said, you need a 3" bump stop so the flipped drag link doesn't hit the frame.
What adj trackbar do u recommend then?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510
I find it hard to believe that the bar was flexing but if you say so I'll take it. Just giving my experiences with them. Maybe you wheel harder than us.

Not trying to be hostile, seriously. Just haven't seen an issue.

Here's the described Jeep.
It's on the road that it becomes a problem.

Watch my video. Look closely and the bend in the front track bar as I turn the steering wheel. It is literally bending back and forth and allowing the axle to shift. You can also see the frame shifting over the axle from the steering inputs. Notice how clean and fresh the jeep was underneath, only a couple thousand miles on it at the time.

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/q...8ABB364C5B.mp4

Trying to drive it in a straight line, the axle would shift on a little bump, ruts in the road, a wind gust etc and indirectly steer the axle. Not fun.

I used all synergy stuff up front with my jeep. I'm not saying its the best stuff out there, just what I chose. There are many options.
What I liked about the track bar is that it's adjustable on the jeep, it has a heim rod end on the axle side that allows the rotation in the axle, and a harder poly bushing on the frame side. So the bushing does have some small amount of movement for noise/vibration isolation but its solid. Another reason was that synergy sells a frame side track bar brace (my holes were ovaled out despite many retorques, and factory bolt ate up the inside of the rod end sleeve), and a steering box sector shaft brace that was all designed to work together. I already had the synergy ball joints and later added their tie rod and drag link. I was having to adjust toe everytime after I took it off road with the factory part. The drag link lasted the longest but created all kinds of slop after 10k miles or so.

You can see the synergy frame side track bar brace and sector shaft brace here.

I also used synergy's suspension bolt kit which I recommend to everyone.

Here was the inside of my factory track bar bushing sleeve after a short time with 35s and the stock bolts that are threaded full length.

I removed my synergy track bar a few weeks ago and with the new bolts there was no destruction like before. The jeep now has 18k miles on it. MUCH more solid up front.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #18
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

What kind of truss are u running? Is it custom ?

Unread 10-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #19
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine is just a basic synergy truss. Clearly it's not full length, rather designed to tie the diff housing together with the tubes a little stronger. My axle also has Evo axle sleeves, c gussets and control arm skids, then the aev brackets are welded on.
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #20
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That's pretty ridiculous. The inside of my track bar sleeve looked better than that at 40,000 miles. I'm guessing yours was loose?

Synergy stuff is definitely the best I've seen. You pay for it but I agree that the on jeep adjustability is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

If synergy is the best you've seen you havnt looked hard enough

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #22
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510
That's pretty ridiculous. The inside of my track bar sleeve looked better than that at 40,000 miles. I'm guessing yours was loose?

Synergy stuff is definitely the best I've seen. You pay for it but I agree that the on jeep adjustability is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Only if it was loose from the factory in the first 700 miles. I installed the lift, torqued everything, and retorqued way more frequently than recommended. Actually if you look closely at the picture there is another track bar just behind it that looks the same. It was a used track bar I bought for temporary use after my crappy factory rod end (frame side) crushed into the ovaled frame side holes. The sleeve is incredibly thin. I was reinstalling the axle, trying to get the track bar in so I could love it while waiting for the synergy parts. With minimal torque, the sleeve just crushed into the frame holes and pressed itself onto the bolt. I had to cut the bolt with a recip saw and get an older used track bar (with a thicker sleeve) to get it back home. Such piss poor design with thin bracketry, thin sleeves and threaded bolts. ANYway that other track bar in the picture looks exactly the same as mine did.

But mine has had some issues including a manual trans that needed rebuilt right away. Pure crap quality from jeep.

There is better stuff than synergy, it is just what I chose to use for my own reasons and my use. I like their tie rod ends too, and that the tie rod and drag link all use the same end. Everything is adjustable on the jeep. But my suspension is becoming more of a frankenlift anyway. Aev spring and shocks, track bar brackets, synergy front end steering parts, metalcloak control arms etc.

I'd say the best steering setup would be solid rod ends everywhere included the track bar, but other things suffer from that type of setup as well like NVH, increased wear on factory brackets etc. In my experience, heim joints don't last all that long if you're hard on them but they are real easy to replace. The front track bar takes an incredible amount of force though too, especially hard off road and washboard stuff.
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

why does the synergy drag link bend out? seems like a bad idea...

personally id get a good aftermarket or build on when it comes to track bar. Ive seen aftermarket **** brands like rough country get there *** kicked.

personally i made my track bar ,drag link and tie rod....

If i get a truss it would be artec and i will leave my synergy track bar bracket if at all possible. All my stuff is heim joint though...

Unread 10-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Same reason the factory drag link is bent. Because jeep's engineers are stupid and they made the arm on the knuckle short, so it needs a bend to clear a steering stabilizer when turning. I would much rather the knuckle be designed differently and have a straight drag link as well.
It doesn't seem to be an issue anyhow, it does tend to dip down but it doesn't create a handling issue that I can feel.
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

wouldnt it only hit if you had the ss on the top? in factory location itd be fine. i just hate bending parts as i feel with impact or lots of force they would bend easier.

I do agree that these pos jk 44s are a joke...id take an old 44 with the longer knuckles all day. I wouldnt have had to bend my tie rod either then...

i will have to get creative or make a new drag link when i go hydro...
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Its very foolish to say the jk44 is a pos axle when it's differential is stronger than a Dana50

Just because it has some shortcomings doesn't make it a POS.

Unread 10-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Just because of the reverse pinion? Im still running it, but wish i would have went 60ish...
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

its not even a real 44. the differential components are of dana's "new generation" and much larger than a standard 44

Unread 10-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #29
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
its not even a real 44. the differential components are of dana's "new generation" and much larger than a standard 44
This is very true. I would suggest for those that doubt that fact to do some serious research and learn the truth about the “New Generation” D44 on the JK’s. It wasn’t even going to be called a D44 but for whatever reason it was.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #30
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

This is how much room my 15 inch wheels give me

forumrunner_20131030_120748.png

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.