High output alternator - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > High output alternator

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #31
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

I does get pretty hot under there. Although not hot enough to kill the battery. You may be on to something with your amp draw though.

Bob K.

'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #32
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post

Anybody else find that the JK has excessive under the hood temperatures?
I always thought so.
I lowered all the underhood temps (engine, transmission, intake air, electrical/electronics equipment, battery, etc.) by installing a mechanical fan.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #33
rayder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius
Whatever your solution, don't get optima batteries. We use the blue tops at work on our forklifts and they are garbage. They might have been good at one time, but all Optima batteries are made in Mexico now and the QA/QC has gone out the window. Get an Odyssey AGM or a Sears Platinum, which are just re-branded Odyssey batteries. Best battery on the market bar-none.
Unfortunately, most battery manufacturers are moving operations to Mexico. Strict EPA regulations have moved battery disposal, recycling and manufacturing to Mexico. Most of the standard batteries are made with recycled lead recovered from old batteries.

Longer life batteries are made with better components with higher spacing between the cell plates and a deeper sediment space. It's the sediment space that collects the junk that scales off the battery during its life. It's the sediment that shorts out battery cells.

Off-roading beats the heck out of batteries and shakes loose more sediment. (Also shakes the elements in your light bulbs lengthening the filaments "sag"). All the abuse which is normal to us off-roaders make us frequent flyers to the parts store to replace mundane items like bulbs and batteries.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #34
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I removed the stupid fender liners. Engine bay is nice and cool. Long life battery.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #35
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Got the staples out of my abdomen yesterday and already feel better. I ordered some parts from some not so familiar sources with very good prices. I'll post up when it all comes in and may do a write up about it here.
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #36
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am also looking into the possibility of relocating the battery or batteries so they are not in the hot engine compartment.
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Good news on your recovery. Going to be tough on the battery re-loc. I kind of like the idea of an external fan and also the inner fender trim.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #38
xsdbs

Your comment about the lights blinking when you're playing the stereo made me wonder if you have done the "Big 3" on your electrical system.
I looked the info for you to check out. Once your done reading it, check out some of the other topics in his forum.
xsdbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #39
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have been reading about the big three upgrade over the last couple of weeks and it makes sense to me.

One thing worth noting is the oem wiring uses a fusible link coming from the alternator. The stock alternator puts out 160 amp and the mean green puts out 200 amps. Even though I have 35" tires, my engine is turning sufficient rpm to get good output since I have 5.13 gears. Instead of a fusible link, I will be installing a regular fuse and have been thinking about what size to use. Too small and it will blow all the time needlessly. Too big and it will not blow when it should.

So far the parts I have ordered:

Two sets of high quality military batter terminals (received already)
One positive and one negative high quality 2/0 battery cables to connect two batteries together that have heavy duty 3/8 lugs on both ends. (received)
M.O.R.E. dual battery tray (still waiting for it to arrive)
Mean Green 200 amp alternator built specific for a JK (still waiting for it to arrive)

I am planning on getting a pair of group 34 Odyssey batteries from Batteries Plus which has a store a few miles from my house.

I did a lot of shopping around and found a lot of variation in price for identical items. Even though this is going to cost kind of a lot of money, it's not going to be as bad as it could have been.

My main focus on research right now has to do the big three upgrade and the alternator fuse size.

Getting back to heat, I burnt my fingers today on the hood prop while raising my hood because my under hood temperatures are that high. I have the under hood insulation which not all JK's have. It does not get cold down herd so I am wondering if that insulation is trapping heat.
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #40
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I found a nice write up on another forum with someone doing the big 3 upgrade while installing the mean green alternator and dual battery. He used a 300 amp anl fuse. His pictures are very good and explains the details of the wiring of the big 3.

Looks like I have some measurements to take so I can get appropriate length 1/0 wire as well as the fuse.

Whenever the time comes to do the installation, I am going to take a lot of pictures along the way and post a write up. I am sure I am not going to be the last person that wants to do this and I want to make easier for others, as well as post links to where I got good prices on the parts I ordered. They are not my usual go to sources because in some cases, my usual go to sources were double the price. Sorry, but I work too hard for my money to not get the most purchasing power I can out of it.
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #41
xsdbs

can you give the link to the write up you found?

Quote:
I found a nice write up on another forum with someone doing the big 3 upgrade while installing the mean green alternator and dual battery. He used a 300 amp anl fuse. His pictures are very good and explains the details of the wiring of the big 3.

Looks like I have some measurements to take so I can get appropriate length 1/0 wire as well as the fuse.

Whenever the time comes to do the installation, I am going to take a lot of pictures along the way and post a write up. I am sure I am not going to be the last person that wants to do this and I want to make easier for others, as well as post links to where I got good prices on the parts I ordered. They are not my usual go to sources because in some cases, my usual go to sources were double the price. Sorry, but I work too hard for my money to not get the most purchasing power I can out of it.
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #42
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I replaced my battery after 1 year and 9 months, at 48K miles.

I noticed reduced power window speed with 3 to full AC blower speed when driving, and especially at idle at red lights. Also, the battery is unshielded from high engine bay heat. So, all these things considered early death of battery does not concern me. I bought a regular 3 year battery from Walmart, instead of paying premium for top of the line batteries or name brands.

The reason for that is I had top of the line Optima Yellow Top for my 2004 TJ, and it went dead before the warranty went out. I did get a full replacement for free from Sam's Club, but I will not pay premium $$ for batteries any more. I just plan to replace it every 2-3 years...

I bought and carry with me a Self-powered Portable Battery Jumper from Sam's Club. It's a self-contained battery with a short pair of jumper cables. With this, I have a piece of mind on Jeep trails in Moab or any other trails.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #43
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
can you give the link to the write up you found?
The write up had pictures that were not really viewable unless you joined. I don't think you are supposed to post links to other forums, so I snagged the pictures after joining that forum and here they are. The write up was mostly, look what I did and how cool it is, with no technical comments, so the pictures were really the only technical part.
overview.jpg   2-1-gauge-ground-1-gauge-power.jpg   3-300-amp-anl-fuse.jpg   4-power-ground-battery.jpg   5-groung-body.jpg  

Unread 08-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #44
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The batteries that I keep getting as replacements say either 72 or 84 months. Combine this with the fact that the factory battery lasted only 18 months leads me to believe that the battery is not adequate enough or the charging system is inadequate or both.

I have a few electrical accessories such as a winch, a pretty decent sound system, and a compressor. I only use one of these at a time and when I use them, it is always with the engine running. I noticed that if I use my winch without the engine running, it turns a lot slower and has less power.

I am tired of changing the battery so often and most importantly, am tired of getting stranded.

http://shop.mean-green.com/2011-07-38L-MG1388.htm
Should be adequate. Im still kicking my stock battery from 07. I know i will rwplace it soon.. but still... something is drawing

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #45
xsdbs

That's a good job and nice pictures. The only thing that I would add is that the new ground should be upgraded at both of the factory locations and not only the body. I always added the upgraded ground to the frame as well. The battery cable already goes to the frame but it's also usually not the same strand quality as the aftermarket wires and also is the correct size for the factory electrical system.

Quote:
The write up had pictures that were not really viewable unless you joined. I don't think you are supposed to post links to other forums, so I snagged the pictures after joining that forum and here they are. The write up was mostly, look what I did and how cool it is, with no technical comments, so the pictures were really the only technical part.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.