High output alternator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > High output alternator

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

High output alternator

On Monday, I had to replace the battery in my JK again. It once again left me stranded without warning and never showed signs of weakness.

I bought my JK new off the lot in July 2007. The factory battery lasted 18 months. I replaced it with exide extreme or something like that. Every 24 months, it goes dead, just like clockwork and Monday was no exception. At least it lasts longer than the factory one.

Since the problem occurs over such a long period of time, I don't believe I have a short or a constant draw. My JK is my only vehicle besides my motorcycle, so it's not like it it sits for long periods of time without being driven.

I was thinking about going with a dual battery setup. I was also thinking that maybe the charging system can't quite keep up. I noticed mean green makes a high output alternator for 2007-2011 JK's.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55112_5011.htm

That seems like a lot of money for an alternator, but if it fixes this ongoing problem then it might be worth it.

How many more amps is this compared to stock.

Anybody have any thoughts, experiences, or advice?

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
On Monday, I had to replace the battery in my JK again. It once again left me stranded without warning and never showed signs of weakness.

I bought my JK new off the lot in July 2007. The factory battery lasted 18 months. I replaced it with exide extreme or something like that. Every 24 months, it goes dead, just like clockwork and Monday was no exception. At least it lasts longer than the factory one.

Since the problem occurs over such a long period of time, I don't believe I have a short or a constant draw. My JK is my only vehicle besides my motorcycle, so it's not like it it sits for long periods of time without being driven.

I was thinking about going with a dual battery setup. I was also thinking that maybe the charging system can't quite keep up. I noticed mean green makes a high output alternator for 2007-2011 JK's.

That seems like a lot of money for an alternator, but if it fixes this ongoing problem then it might be worth it.

I went to the link you posted. It says the JK stock alternator is normally rated at 40 - 60 amps. It is actually rated at 140 and 160 amps.

It also says the Mean Green has an internal voltage regulator. I don't know how compatible that is with the voltage regulator in the JK's ecm.

Are you asking anything out of the ordinary from your batteries that have lasted only 24 months?

Also, if your batteries have been rated at 24 months, maybe get a battery rated for a longer period. There are AGM batteries that are warranted for 4 - 10 years.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The batteries that I keep getting as replacements say either 72 or 84 months. Combine this with the fact that the factory battery lasted only 18 months leads me to believe that the battery is not adequate enough or the charging system is inadequate or both.

I have a few electrical accessories such as a winch, a pretty decent sound system, and a compressor. I only use one of these at a time and when I use them, it is always with the engine running. I noticed that if I use my winch without the engine running, it turns a lot slower and has less power.

I am tired of changing the battery so often and most importantly, am tired of getting stranded.

http://shop.mean-green.com/2011-07-38L-MG1388.htm
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The batteries that I keep getting as replacements say either 72 or 84 months.
Wow! Thats significantly more than the 24 months you are getting out of them.

The most likely cause I can think of, then, is the regular starting batteries don't like, and can't stand, being drawn down with the winch, even if the engine is running.

Have you thought about getting a deep cycle AGM battery? They can tolerate being drawn down, and they are decent starting batteries. You can always go to a dual setup later, if needed.
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx

Wow! Thats significantly more than the 24 months you are getting out of them.

The most likely cause I can think of, then, is the regular starting batteries don't like, and can't stand, being drawn down with the winch, even if the engine is running.

Have you thought about getting a deep cycle AGM battery? They can tolerate being drawn down, and they are decent starting batteries. You can always go to a dual setup later, if needed.
The thing is, I only use my winch a few times per year and when I do, it's usually short pulls to get someone out that is stuck in the mud while my Jeep is parked on dry land with the engine running.

I also don't leave the radio on with the engine off. In other words, I am not doing anything to kill the battery.

I can easily afford a dual battery system with a pair of blue top optimas and a high output alternator, as I make a pretty good living, but I don't want to just throw money at the problem. The last time it left me stranded I had just finished a business lunch and was leaving the restaurant to go to a doctor appointment that caused me to schedule surgery first thing the next morning. I ended up getting someone to pick me up, take me back to the office, where I grabbed a company vehicle to take to my appointment.
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Whatever your solution, don't get optima batteries. We use the blue tops at work on our forklifts and they are garbage. They might have been good at one time, but all Optima batteries are made in Mexico now and the QA/QC has gone out the window. Get an Odyssey AGM or a Sears Platinum, which are just re-branded Odyssey batteries. Best battery on the market bar-none.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

+1 on the Sears Platinum, great battery

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I wouldnít recommend the blue tops either. I have had them in two different TJs with dual battery setups and both times the blue tops didnít last very long; another vote for the Sears DieHard Platinum.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'll 3rd the Sears Diehard battery, can't go wrong with that

The other thing is do you have all your extra stuff on relays and solenoids or are they connected straight to the battery

Have you connected an Ampmeter to the battery system to see if something have a small drain
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

How long are your normal trips in your JK? If less then say 15 miles your battery never really get's recharged from starting the engine(starter amp draw).Multiple stort trips where you shut off and re-start makes it worse.Then let it sit for a few days at a time,I imagine more in the summer time,and harsh winters will kill any battery fast.

Get a good battery like the Sears DieHard Platinum and get a battery maintainer(for AGM batteries) and leave hooked up when you don't drive it.Or get a good battery and at least once a week get out on the highway and maintain a 45mph+ speed for a hour or longer to fully re-charge the battery.

I have a Odyssey PC1500(Diehard Platinum P4) that was produced in April of '07 in my Jeep and it's still putting out over a 1000cca's.I mostly do short trips,5 miles to work and then back,and leave the stereo on for at least 30mins with the engine off almost everyday.I do take it for a nice long drive once a week though,also have that big stereo,winch,and plenty of lights while still running the stock 136amp alternator with zero issues.Not so when I had the optima yellow top though,those batteries are pure junk now.
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

A H.O. alternator is only one part of the electrical system you have to worry about. The voltage regulator must be working correctly and if it allowing a high voltage, that can kill a battery. Heat too kills batteries. I live in the desert and am lucky to get about 30 months out of a premium battery.

As others have stated, the charging system needs to run for a while to completely recharge an auto battery. I was told by an ASE certified tech to take a hour to two trip every so often to cycle up the battery. Simply starting it and idling it for that length of time will not work, as it needs the higher amperage output produced by higher RPM to charge up.

I would also consider a looking for a hidden current draw that is depleting your battery if you are taking the above into account and still having problems.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm surprised the ASE certified tech didn't say to put a good charger on the battery rather than take a trip every once in a while.
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I'm surprised the ASE certified tech didn't say to put a good charger on the battery rather than take a trip every once in a while.
Why I just did in my post and I'm a ASE Master Tech.It does more then just re-charge the battery.Constant short trips effects every thing in your vehicle with fluid in it,helps heat up and burn off any condensation in your engine,trans,t-case,and diffs also.Keeps seals softer also.
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am driving my JK every day sufficiently to charge the battery, so let's please try focus on my question.

Has anyone installed or heard any good or bad reviews of the high output alternator?

Anyone have any tips on installing a dual battery system on a JK? I have found three brands of dual battery mounts. I am leaning towards the MORE but it is a bit pricey.

I see most dual battery systems set up with different types of isolators, but I am thinking about not running an isolator so that I have power from both batteries available all the time. It's going to be a little while before I do this because I just underwent surgery less than a week ago, but I like planning ahead.
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Not sure if this is much help to you but concerning the Mean Green Alternator, I installed one on my Ď04 TJ Rubi along with a dual battery setup. It fit perfect and was a very well-built unit. Iím just trying to say that if you go that route (aftermarket alt) I would recommend the Mean Green.

I do have to say though that I highly doubt that you need to go dual battery and HO alternator with what you are running now. That is a lot of wasted money (my opinion) for no gain especially if not using an isolator.

If I were you I would keep on trouble shooting until I found an answer to why your batteries are not lasting.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.