HID flicker cancellers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > HID flicker cancellers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
SledWrecker

HID flicker cancellers

I just installed a 35w bixenon HID kit in my 08' and of course I'm getting a little flicker because of the canbus system. I'm not strobing, when I did initialy test the bulbs and ballasts I did get some relay buzzing but that only happened when just one ballast and bulb were connected.

Anyway, I'm looking at this canceller kit on amazon because I have a prime membership and can have it in two days. I'd prefer not to hack apart my current harness and do the relay, diod, method.

Here's the one I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Warni...=hid+canceller

Any of you guys try these with any success? I've seen many variations of the same product and a few people in the reviews for this product said it worked on their wranglers. If anyone else can suggest a setup that worked for them I would appreciate it.

SledWrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

Does it flicker all the time??? I have 55w HIDs in my Lo/High and Fog and it flickers a tiny bit on startup and after that its fine.
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
SledWrecker

I've only ran with them on for about 15 minutes total so far but it does appear to flicker all the time. It's not a major "strobe" or "on/off" effect but it is flickering very very fast. I don't hear any buzz from my relay at the moment but when I had only one ballast and bulb hooked up during the initial testing phase before securing all the wiring and ballasts the relay did buzz and quite loud.

I don't have a "bulb out / change bulb" light but the flicker is fairly noticable and it's there whether the jeep is running or not. I read quite a few threads last night about this so I understand why it's happening I just wanted to know if these cancellers will work or if it's a waste of time / money / effort.

The more I thought about it the more I like getting rid of the relay that came with the HID kit. I don't really want a hokie wiring job with spliced up wiring all over but I can make it look clean and well hidden. I had major problems with the bixenon kit I put on one of my snowmobiles and it was all related to the "chineese stocker relay." Sometimes the lights would come on, sometimes they wouldn't... sometimes they wouldn't shut off! I certainly don't want to come out of the office and find a dead battery because my headlights never shut off. Still debating what to do.. Cancellers is the easy way if they work (plug and play) but relays and diodes is the smarter way. Ug.
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm weird I haven't had any issues. Not sure what to tell you.
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
SledWrecker

I went ahead and ordered them based of the multiple positive reviews from other amazon members who used them on their wranglers. I had them overnighted so once I get them installed I'll report back if they work. Crossing my fingers.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
SledWrecker

*Update*

Got the amazon kit today which I had overnighted. I was pretty excited to get them installed and they looked like good quality. I did a quick verification that I was still flickering on the out of box setup then with the system powered down installed the in-line cancellers / flicker eliminators.

I started up the jeep and kicked on the lights and... No change. Still flickers and the passanger side seems worse now.

On the positive side however amazon is paying for return shipping and giving me a full refund including my overnight shipping costs. This is why I do business with them and not ebay.

So these didn't work for me, gonna keep digging in the forums. One thing I really need to find out is if it's the jeep or if it's the HID's themselves. I have HID's in my f350 so I might swap the ballasts and bulbs over just to make sure it's not this setup and I'm chasing my tail..
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledWrecker
*Update*
So these didn't work for me, gonna keep digging in the forums. One thing I really need to find out is if it's the jeep or if it's the HID's themselves. I have HID's in my f350 so I might swap the ballasts and bulbs over just to make sure it's not this setup and I'm chasing my tail..
It's the Jeep electrical that is fed through the computer. It is not a solid current but rather pulses. In order for the proper current to run these and LED lights the harness must have a bypass that pulls full steady current directly from the battery. The harness mentioned above does just that.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
SledWrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
In order for the proper current to run these and LED lights the harness must have a bypass that pulls full steady current directly from the battery. The harness mentioned above does just that.
So the capacitor, diod and relay "fix" is the solution? I have the schematic and the radio shack part numbers so this will be my next plan of attack.
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledWrecker

So the capacitor, diod and relay "fix" is the solution? I have the schematic and the radio shack part numbers so this will be my next plan of attack.
So your schematic shows power to the lights from the battery through a relay?
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The schematic does not seem to match the JK light control system but an older relay feed system.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

you should probably do it correctly and use a proper projector housing and a external supply harness to start with.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
you should probably do it correctly and use a proper projector housing and a external supply harness to start with.
While I agree with using HID bulbs and housings as a matched set, LEDs have the same flicker problems. It'd be nice to have a solution that's not $80.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
SledWrecker

I'm an advocate for HID's in proper projector housings but in this particular instance with the way they designed the reflector and bell in the halogen jk stock headlamp I feel, in my own personal opinion it is safe for use on the road if properly aimed. There is scattered light but it's minimal at best and for me has not been blinding to oncoming traffic. I tested my 35w system with my wifes 06' corolla before going out on the roads and had zero visibility or blinding light issues. This was at the stock headlight height and stock adjustment that my jeep was set at. My jk is stock, no lift so this would not apply to anyone with a lifted application. Just as much as the next person I hate being blinded by rice burners or jacked up chevy's with ebay HID kits and improper adjustments. I made sure before going out on the road I was not going to impact other drivers. My cuttoff is below rear deck level on any sedan I stop behind at a stop light and below side view mirror level as well. If you've seen the helfire youtube promo I'm about on par with them just not as bright because they use a 55w kit.

Please if you do use HID's in your stock housings make sure they are adjusted properly. I drive 10 miles of two way oncoming 55mph county road to get to and from the freeway for commuting. I have never been flashed. Right now my biggest issue is the flickering. Let's leave it at that and stay on point, I don't want this to turn into a debate over HID's in stock housings.. please make a new thread if you wish to discuss that topic.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
SledWrecker

Since my other thread isn't getting as much traction I'll post here:

Here is a diagram of how my HID kit wiring and relay came. 90% of the aftermarket bi-xenon kits are wired like this. You can see it has a direct 12v to the battery and then triggers the lights off of the H13 connector on the harness that plugs into the passanger side stock H13 connector only! No connection on the drivers side so basicaly the drivers side stock headlight connector just hangs free - unplugged.

This is exactly how my system is currently wired. So.... where do the capacitors and diodes go? If the stock headlight H13 connection is just acting as a trigger and the 12v+ for the HID's is coming from the battery then I've bypassed the canbus system already right? So why do I still get flickering, even just barely noticable flicker.?
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
SledWrecker

pic

picture
hid-relay-.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.