Hhheelllppp a/c question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hhheelllppp a/c question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
techbomb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hhheelllppp a/c question

Ok I thought i would go by the book and ad a little r134 refrigerant to my 08 sahara, I read the directions and added a little checked the guage and kept going back in fourth till i was in the green where I was supposed to be , then the compressor showed in red all of a sudden , then my compressor started going on and off on and off. Started blowing hot air , what the heck , ok so I then took it down the road and it mad a hissing noise real quick and I looked under the jeep and it blew some of the r134 underneath the car , almost like a pressure relief valve. It is now blowing cold air and so far I havnt seen anymore r134 come out, is it ok to run it , and is that in deed a pressure relief valve underneath the compressor ? Is this normal , what do I do ?

techbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

You probably overcharged it. HAVE to make SURE the compressor is actually running (the center hub is engaged and spinning) before you add the juice and green line it. If the compressor is NOT in cycle when you add - the pressure goes higher (into the red) when the system does call the compressor.

I am not aware of a relief valve in any system - just a high limit switch that will cycle the compressor just as you described. You may have blown out a service valve, the limit switch or other component. Have it recharged by someone with a two guage system.
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
techbomb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Guess thats what I get for trying to do something myself errrrr, . The weird thing is that the pressure is correct now and is blowing cold air so I wonder if I should just drive it for a bit and watch it or just bite the bullet and go to a dealer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
You probably overcharged it. HAVE to make SURE the compressor is actually running (the center hub is engaged and spinning) before you add the juice and green line it. If the compressor is NOT in cycle when you add - the pressure goes higher (into the red) when the system does call the compressor.

I am not aware of a relief valve in any system - just a high limit switch that will cycle the compressor just as you described. You may have blown out a service valve, the limit switch or other component. Have it recharged by someone with a two guage system.
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
techbomb
2008 JK Wrangler 

If I blew out a service valve or something wouldn't it be running refrigerant out at all times ?
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
techbomb
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I got a little close with the flashlight on the bottom of the compressor , it defiantly looks like a pressure relief valve, I think Im still gonna take it to have it looked at just to be safe thou.
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by techbomb View Post
If I blew out a service valve or something wouldn't it be running refrigerant out at all times ?
Its a schrader valve - almost exact match design wise for a tire valve core. They CAN reseat.

My buddy told me he sees it a lot. He is in business so must capture the refrigerant - but the fix is to bleed some off. Just pay attention to what the pressure should be for your ambient air temp at time of service. The warmer the day - the higher the pressure.

If its working now - run it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.