Here we go again, leaky soft top dealer sucks... HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Here we go again, leaky soft top dealer sucks... HELP!!!

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 03-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
03stage2

Here we go again, leaky soft top dealer sucks... HELP!!!

So I woke up this morning to a soaked rear end on my 2 week old 2 door Rubicon. I was shocked after further inspection that it was puddling on my rear window edges and subwoofer. It actually seems as if it is leaking from the seems! Look at the two pieces of what looks like to be masking tape in the back corners. They actually used masking tape to seal the seems! OBVIOUSLY this doesnt work! Took it to the service manager and proceeded to get a line of garbage. When I signed the paperwork, especially for the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty, they were very quick to say they would be there to provide anything I needed if I ever had any problems. Now they are saying it will take several days to have a third party come out and "inspect" the top... This didnt fly with me, it should be replaced as its leaking all over the rear end and Im worried its going to short out my sub. I go and talk to the sales manager next and after some phone calles he is stating that all soft tops have this issue and their is a service bulletin. He also said even if they replaced the soft top the new one would leak too! Is this true, any help/guidance would be much appreciated!

Unread 03-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
CliffB

I took mine through a carwash, and only had 1 drop of water. Could not find any masking tape on the inside of my top. I suggest trying another dealership if there is one in the area.
CliffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
swagginman

My '88 Wrangler's soft top was way better than this. You got shafted, only way to remedy is a new top. Find a different 5 star dealer. I bought mine out of state (was concerned about receiving quality service from a dealer I didn't purchase from) and am getting an 800# to call if a dealer disappoints in service responsibility. DC apparently comes down pretty hard on them. When I get it (pick up mid April) I'll post, if still relevant.
swagginman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

yeah i thought mine was leaking but it was where the dealer never put the back window part on right with the clips and all. After i put it on right there have been 0 leaks
Unread 03-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
dvzant

Remember this... It's the parts/service center's mission to make as much money as possible and spend as little as possible.
It's your mission to make sure you don't get screwed in the process.

Demand that they fix it or replace it. They will want to inspect it before they replace it. That reasonable but you should not be SOL while waiting.

I would request a loaner veicle while they figure out how to fix their problem. Make sure you let them know that it's their problem and not yours.

Unfortunately the sales person that was so nice to you when you bought the vehicle doesn't care anymore. You will need to go to the General Manager. It's not always easy to get into see the GM but if the Service Manager isn't getting anything done, that's who you need to see.
dvzant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
STANSUSKI

no leaks ,even thru carwash.I have opened and used Sunrider top and had all windows out and back in.
2007 Unlimited X base model black,6spd.4.10,front and rear mats.Added deep tint softop windows,30%tint front and15%rear doors.Mopar hitch and 4-way wiring harness.Optional 17" wheels/tires.COMING SOON 2009 RUBICON UNLIMITED PURCHASED 04/17/2009
STANSUSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
tomc121
tomc121

2007 JK Wrangler 

My Freinds Jk, No Leaks

HEY ITS BEEN RAINING 22 DAYS STRAIT UP HERE IN BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA
MY FREINDS JK 4dr HAS NO LEAKS
tomc121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
donkie

That looks nothing like the top on the JK I rented while on vacation last week, looks somewhat pre production or something. I'd calmly work with them to solve the problem. Forget talking to anyone in sales except for the GM, all they can do is sell you a promise or a new Jeep.

Leaks have very clear diag procedures for them to perform. If they don't live up to your expectations try another dealer, it sounds like they have some work to do. Be sure to fill out your customer satisfaction survey and state the facts to the dealership GM and owner in writing. If there is a service bulletin on the issue have them produce it.
donkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
MD23

I had leaks near my windshield and door pillar. It took my dealership a few tries to get it corrected. However, there was a rental car waiting every time I took it in.

My top did not have any tape, and the material in yours looks nothing like mine (almost aftermarket). It could be the camera angle, or lighting, who knows, but I would compare it to another soft top at the NEXT dealership that you visit to have your problem corrected.
MD23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
1-2-many-NOT
2002 WJ 

Have taken mine throught a "laser wash" where they spray high power water without the brushes. When getting to the back window and the spray wand shoots directly at the back, I definitely get a nice big squirt in the rear corner (drivers side). Thought it was the Velcro tabs not being connected correctly, and hubby thought the zipper wasn't down all the way, but fixed those issues and it still did it. Not sure how this would handle a big rain event as this happened because the spray was directly at the back window and not coming down like rain. I guess I'll find out here shortly with the spring rains a comin..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.