Hemi swap conversion cost and process - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hemi swap conversion cost and process

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
breljohn
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hemi swap conversion cost and process

Hi guys, I'm planning the build of my Jeep. Lift (AEV 3.5), tires (Mickey T 35) and wheels (rugged Ridge) are planned. I'd like a little more power and was looking at either RIPP SC or Hemi. I have a few questions regarding the Hemi:
- Is it easy to find an engine and transmission? (New)
- If yes, how much does it cost?
- I would get the AEV Premium conversion kit for $5 300. Do I need antyhing lese?
- Besides labour, any other costs ?
- How complicated is it if I have a crew that's building race cars?

Thanks a lot for your help and input.
Feel free to comment on the plan.

Jon

breljohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Cost is pretty high if you pay for someone to install, I've seen numbers around $25,000 depending on what engine and transmission you select. Conversion kit, e.g. All the hardware and electronics run about $5,000 for a complete kit, then you have the cost of engine, tranny, and drive shafts, which vary a great deal depending on new or used, could cost $10,000 if you want brand new everything. I've seen labor rates between $10,000 and $15,000. I've been looking at this myself....and its not cheap. For me, I won't do it until I am able to perform the swap myself, there's no way I'm going to double the cost of the project to let someone else get their hand dirty.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breljohn View Post
Hi guys, I'm planning the build of my Jeep. Lift (AEV 3.5), tires (Mickey T 35) and wheels (rugged Ridge) are planned. I'd like a little more power and was looking at either RIPP SC or Hemi. I have a few questions regarding the Hemi:
- Is it easy to find an engine and transmission? (New)
- If yes, how much does it cost?
- I would get the AEV Premium conversion kit for $5 300. Do I need antyhing lese?
- Besides labour, any other costs ?
- How complicated is it if I have a crew that's building race cars?

Thanks a lot for your help and input.
Feel free to comment on the plan.

Jon
On the Hemi conversions....I did my homework. I could have used either AEV or Burnsville and chose Burnsville. Burnsville has 2 location in the US one East and one West. I would recommend you call them and discuss your build. They will do the conversion for you or they will sell you the complete kit. Both will get you a Hemi in your Jeep but the burnsville version does have advantages.
6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Brent_f70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_f70 View Post
On the Hemi conversions....I did my homework. I could have used either AEV or Burnsville and chose Burnsville. Burnsville has 2 location in the US one East and one West. I would recommend you call them and discuss your build. They will do the conversion for you or they will sell you the complete kit. Both will get you a Hemi in your Jeep but the burnsville version does have advantages.
Could you talk a bit more about said advantages? This is a mod I am thinking of for next summer when I'm out of classes and have the time to do it. Obviously I have a lot more research to do myself, but some more insight on 1 kit vs the other would be great

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
breljohn
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi guys, thanks for the quick answers.

I didn't know i had to change the drive shafts so that's a good point right there.

I have labour covered so I was wondering how much would a brand new engine and tranny cost. Any ideas? Also, where can I get these?
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
breljohn
2011 JK Wrangler 

oh and dwood, how do you like your RC (on and off road)? I was told to go that route instead of AEV for my lift...
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Could you talk a bit more about said advantages? This is a mod I am thinking of for next summer when I'm out of classes and have the time to do it. Obviously I have a lot more research to do myself, but some more insight on 1 kit vs the other would be great
Sent you a PM.........
6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
JJ-4

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Have you considered an LS or 5.3 Chevy swap. It's a little bit easier to find an engine/ tranny and with my 5.3 I was able to use the stock driveshafts. Check out www.lswrangler.com these guys are pretty good. And I'm getting around 25-27 mpg on the highway with mine

Firefighters Jeep Club
http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jee p_Club
JJ-4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
scottka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_f70 View Post
Sent you a PM.........
Oh come on, don't hold out on the rest of us!
scottka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
breljohn
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks JJ, I just sent them an email
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
scbroder
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottka View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Send me a PM too if you done want to post them.
scbroder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbroder View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Send me a PM too if you done want to post them.
The 2 main builders are AEV and Burnsville. You can guess by my signature who I went with. Both will get the job done but if you do a little reading and call them to ask questions before you decide, you can gain a lot of valuable information. They do not go about it the same way.... Different mounting locations for the engine, different cooling systems and different computer programing. There are distinct benefits to some of these decisions.

I do not want to get into the middle of the fight but you should talk to both companies (and others) before you spend at least 10K on a mod. Things you should ask about are.....
  • center of gravity (if using the jeep off road or high speed with a Hemi)
  • cooling problems (a lot of motor in a small package and some are having issues staying cool)
  • computer programing (some can do almost any Mopar motor others can only do a 5.7 or 6.1)
  • dash light issues after install
  • options still function (cruise control, etc)
  • mechanical or belt driven fan and why?
  • Transmission choices and history of reliability
Unread 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
MTwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did it myself

If you can turn a wrench, have a shop, can weld, do it yourself. My cost for a manual conversion, (Burnsville), was 11K, counting selling the V6. Took me about a month, with no hurry, to step through the conversion. I have a Jeep I can stand to drive now. Nothing bad about the V6, but the go pedal just didn't do much. I would strongly advise not doing a manual transmission. They are hard to find, and you need a specialty shop to rebuild one. Can't say if you can even buy internal parts for them.
MTwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.