Help a YJ Brother out - Paint Color Code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Help a YJ Brother out - Paint Color Code

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Help a YJ Brother out - Paint Color Code

Hey guys

I have an 89 YJ almost ready for paint. I REALLY like the yellow color on the JK, but went to the Jeep website and I guess they are not offering it for '10.

I like my old school yellow color, but with repainting, and wanting to keep it yellow, I figured I'd go bright. I don't like the school bussy yellows on a lot of vehicles, but I really think the JK yellow is classy and gutsy. Even ordered a new black denim top for it which will look better with the color than the gray.

I know someone out here has the bright yellow Jeep. I would really appreciate the color code, color name or both.

Thanks.........Bobby..............

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
merckx9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Stick with the original Canary Yellow my friend. There are so few original Islanders left on the road. My '89 is white and appears from your picture to be in the same condition. Why paint? Just wondering.
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

My 07 is yellow and I love it, from what I was told its a limited edition color. A good custom paint shop should be able to mix you up a batch. They have the documents on hand, atleast the shop I went to did when I painted my motorcycle a Mazda red color call vermilian. Call around and ask to see if they have a 07 book or newer of all stock car paint names, should be in there. One good thing about going that route is its about half the price of a name brand paint color such as "cherry red".
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx9 View Post
Stick with the original Canary Yellow my friend. There are so few original Islanders left on the road. My '89 is white and appears from your picture to be in the same condition. Why paint? Just wondering.
Lots and lots of dings from rocks etc and the resulting lots and lots of rusty dings. Plus, being a southern Jeep in North Carolina, the sun has really faded it a lot. She's already stripped of the decals, and the bulk of it is sanded and primed, including full and half doors. She only has 60K miles on her, but the paint is legal to drink now (21 years) and boy is she thirsty.

My thought was to keep the original "Malibu Yellow", just because it is unique, and I will be putting on a new Islander decal set, already have it as a matter of fact. I kind of wanted to brighten her up, but agreeing with your point, unique is also cool. Saw 3 Yellow JK's on the highway today and damn if they aren't pretty!!!!!

Gonna be ordering the paint first of the week, painting next weekend. Now you got me thinking Merck.............I guess fresh paint would be a whole lot brighter than what it is (was) now........Hmmmmmm

Still would like the code and color name if anyone has it. Nothing set in stone yet as to Old School Yellow or New Wave Yellow but have to decide by Monday. Kinda on the fence right now with this.......

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
merckx9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I stand corrected on Canary Yellow. It is Malibu Yellow. I have always loved that color. Whatever shade of yellow you decide good luck with it. With the new decals and its original heritage it will definitely be unique!
Unread 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's "Detonator Yellow" you can find it here 2008 Jeep Wrangler Touch Up Paint Colors

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
+1 for you!! Thanks for the link!!!!

@copleydad - nice YJ!! Detonator Yellow will look FANTASTIC on it! I'm still debating on whether to paint my YJ Brilliant Blue or the new 2010 Deep Blue Pearl Coat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.