HELP ! With Water Damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP ! With Water Damage

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
dparent

HELP ! With Water Damage

I am kicking myself hard for this one. Left the top off my 11 Rubicon unlimited last week. Poured like a son of a *****. For a week now I have no controls on my steering wheel. The jeep runs fine but I can't turn on or off lights, horn, blinkers, or wipers. Pretty much anything controlled by the steering wheel. The radio works fine.
I have been researching posts on this and only have seen one and it resolved itself within the same day. Mine is going on SIX days now. It hasn't been super hot and not a lot of sun here So I think tomorrow or monday it's supposed to be nice I will leave the top off and let the sun hit it hard.
I brought it to my local mechanic. He checked all fuses and they were fine. Took a couple connections out in the steering wheel and blew some air in there. I asked him about the clock spring and he said that it only controls your horn, so It shouldn't be that. He cut battery supply and put it back on. Still nothing.
I live on an island so just getting to the jeep dealer is over 100 bucks not to mention what it would cost. I was hoping it would resolve itself. Anyone have or know about this problem ? Thanks so much. DP

dparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think everything on the steering wheel runs through the clockspring. That's how it spins without twisting wires around.

I think it been extended as a warranty item also.
Unread 06-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

well the clock spring controls more that the horn. If you have cruise control and radio controls or anything else on the steering wheel as well as the drivers side air bag it controls all these functions. Do any of these other functions work? Is the SRS(airbag trouble light) warning light on?

It may dry out. The CS is a open circuit that tends to hold water once wet. It will dry out, but may take sometime. It way well corrode as well.

The blinkers, lights wipers and other side functions of the steering wheel are not part of CS but do bolt to it. sounds like everything around and the CS got wet. In the end they may dry out too.

Replacing these parts is not cheap as well. CS is about 200-250$ just for the part. not sure on the side controls but i would expect about the same. That is if this is the trouble and not a Canbus issue?

Just be careful with a CS since its main function is the SRS/AB a short here can be serious. 4 of the six wires in the CS are dedicated to its function of the airbag and the other 2 are single wires that measure resistance. That is how those two wires can work so many functions
Unread 06-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
dparent

Oh Boy Sounds Like I have some problems. The air bag light WAS on at first, maybe the first few hours after the rain storm, but now is out. So I guess that's a fairly good sign. Werid the button the steering wheel for the cruise lights up when I press it but none of the other buttons for the radio or anything are working. The radio itself is working.
Unread 06-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
dparent

Yes, just double checked. The cruise control button on the steering wheel does light up the cruise control option on the dash.
Unread 06-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

i would get a hair dryer and on medium or low place near the gap between the steering wheel and the column. DO NOT sit in the jeep, i only say this as there has been instances were the CS shorted out and deployed the airbag after getting wet or breaks. It is rare to happen but is possible. If this dont work and enough time has passed and its still dont work. sounds like the it is corroded. Like i said its open circuit dust or water can damage it. Dust is worse as the CS is made of this circuit tape and coated in grease that collects dust. Why they left a gap in the CS case to allow water or dust in beats the heck out me. It could have been made a sealed unit and would be much better and "Trail rated" but it aint its the same chitty part used in many cars.

remember there is 6 wires in the ribbon tape of this clock spring. 4 are to the airbag(mandated by law all wires to the airbag must be continuous) . The other 2 are for ALL the other things and they way it works is the signal is not direct like the other 4. The system measures a signal resistance. If that resistance is off from corrosion. You could get false signals too like press the horn the radio changes or nothing as you describe. Its like sending voltage down a line and iF say its(examples here and are not the know ranges of resistance) 8 volts the computer knows that is horn, 7 might be volume up, 6 might be crusie control etc etc..... It could very well have a hundred functions from two wires if it can measure in .1 increments.
Unread 06-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
dparent

OK I will do this soon ! Thanks so much for your help. DP
Unread 06-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

A firm smack on the side if the wheel. I know it sounds stupid but I had no buttons working in the wheel besides my cruise. Read on a forum that it worked so I figured what the hell. It worked lol
Unread 06-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #9
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Get the biggest fan you can fit under or on the seat pointing toward the gap in the column and turn it on full bore for a day or three.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #10
JBADV
2013 JK Wrangler 

Do you have a hard top ? If you do , put it on . Then put a dehumidifier in the back and turn it on . Then put a fan under the dash like 73azbronco said to do . Get it dried out and see what happens .
JBADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
dparent

Going to try all these and report back to you guys! Thanks. If it's not fixed by thursday I'm going to have to bite the bullet and bring it in to Jeep Service.
Unread 06-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
dparent

Good news, but not out of the woods yet ! Ok so I banged on the side of the steering wheel as much as I could and kept using the hair dryer and then disconnected the battery. Bingo - Blinkers - Check, Lights - Check, Wipers, Check. Still no horn and no other items on wheel working - only cruise control is working. The radio controls - which are no big deal and the horn which kind of is for inspection isn't working. Going to try the fan thing for a while. I currently have a soft top on and haven't had the hard top on in a couple of years so the dehumidifier thing would be the last option.

Thank you again - It did sound funny - like the old nintentdo games you used to blow into to get them to work but I think the banging did it. Any more suggestions please let me know, until then I'm going the fan on the floor route and leave it out in the sun today.
Unread 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
dparent

All shined up and no one to horn

now if i could only get the horn and other things on the steering wheel to work !

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.