HELP! Is the tranny shot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! Is the tranny shot?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
RussMan

HELP! Is the tranny shot?

So my brother had been driving on the highway for close to 2 hours when he noticed some white smoke coming from his jeep. He then heard a strange grinding noise. He pulled into the far right lane then his jeep started to lose power. He relized he wasn't going to make it to the exit so parked it on the side of the highway. He turned it off. Briefly looked under the hood didn't see anything out of place. Then he cranked the jeep which came on just fine but as soon as he puts it into drive it grindes. Its an automatic with 30k on the clock mild lift running 33s and its 2006. My brother is 2 states away and I really don't want to go get him unless I have to. There could be something minor because my brother knows absolutely nothing about vehicles. But with the gringing I have shallow hopes. I know it could be anything and I have a feeling its going to be towed to a shop before the and of the day, but and one have an idea what it could be? A jeep with 30k miles that has not offroaded in years blowing the tranny seems very strange to me...

As always thanks for your help guys.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
RussMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
RussMan

Oops just noticed I put in the JK spot instead of TJ. If someone could move this for me that would be awesome.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
RussMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'd make sure the transfer case if fully seated in 2wd.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
smoke , transmission , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.