HELP!!! tire carrier, third light, and wiring. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP!!! tire carrier, third light, and wiring.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
animated_robot
2010 JK Wrangler 

HELP!!! tire carrier, third light, and wiring.

First, Thanks for any help or advice given.

Ok... I plan on removing my spare tire, the carrier, the light, and wires (light) from the tailgate to put on a bumper/tire carrier combo to fit 35" tires. I am out of the country and I am going to have my buddy do it for me (just the removal of the parts).

My question, what do I do with the wires for the third light? I don't plan on putting a third light back on and the bumper combo is not being order until I find one I like. I don't want the wires just hanging around for a free ride if they do not need to be. I figured the exposed wires would get in the way or may accidently get pulled on if just hanging around.

The friend that is removing all the parts is mechanically inclined, but doesn't want to start until we make sure we have all the small stuff worked out. I can understand b/c he is working on my jeep and not his vehicle.

I checked several threads and did some searching, but couldn't really find anything on the removal of the wires. I'd rather not cut them if that is what you may say.

Thanks again...

2010 Wrangler

animated_robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Coil them up and push them back through the grommet into the rear cabin?
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGuy View Post
Coil them up and push them back through the grommet into the rear cabin?
This^^ and maybe a few wraps of elect. tape over the end of the plug to keep any moisture out.
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

in the tailgate, under what looks like a vent (on the inside) is a clip for the third brake light. Unhook it there, find a cap for the outside of the tailgate, and you should be good to go.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

What wires are left hanging around?

If you remove the stock carrier, don't you just first unhook the brake light connector inside of the tailgate, and when you remove the stock carrier, the brake light (and its external wires) come off with it?
screen-shot-2010-10-14-3.32.40-pm.jpg  
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
0sevenjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

The only wires left will be the plug inside the tailgate. The loose wires aren't very long. You could tape them to the wires that connect your door locks. I unhooked the power lock plug and there is a rattle so the tape is a good idea.
0sevenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
What wires are left hanging around?

If you remove the stock carrier, don't you just first unhook the brake light connector inside of the tailgate, and when you remove the stock carrier, the brake light (and its external wires) come off with it?
Thanks for posting that pic, good info.
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

I left the wires and just tucked them back in the hole they came out of and stuffed the grommet back in place. It does put some pressure on the wire as it is tucked between the grommet and the relatively sharp sheet metal. It will probably short out in the next 10 years and burn my Jeep to the ground. It's better than getting a little bit of rain water in my Jeep through that empty hole though.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 03:33 AM   #9
animated_robot
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for the comments/suggestions.

Thank you aristobrat for the picture. I copied it and sent it to my buddy via email so he has something to go off of when removing everything for me.
animated_robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's cool that you have free labor for getting mods done while you're away!
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said, BUT:

I don't know Louisiana inspection laws, but here, if it was made with a 3rd brake light, they won't pass it without one.
I spliced wiring onto the old leads, and have it coiled up inside the tailgate for the one day a year that I need it. NAPA sells lights that will work for ~$5.00, and I ran the wiring up through the center of the carrier itself. (Drilled one hole).
Here's an old pic:
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said, BUT:

I don't know Louisiana inspection laws, but here, if it was made with a 3rd brake light, they won't pass it without one.
I spliced wiring onto the old leads, and have it coiled up inside the tailgate for the one day a year that I need it. NAPA sells lights that will work for ~$5.00, and I ran the wiring up through the center of the carrier itself. (Drilled one hole).
Here's an old pic:
You can't get an inspection done without that third brake light but you don't need fenders?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

virginia is wierd when it comes to inspections (damn common wealth). they wouldnt pass mine because my offroad lights didnt have a cover on them. i just went outside and put a plastic bag between the light grill cover and the light itself. then they passed it. back on topic i just hooked up a third brake light and mounted it in the center of my spare tire. just look at it this way, its an added saftey for other drivers to see the extra brake light.

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's what I plan to do. I'm gonna find a small round light at the auto parts store or tractor supply, and cut a hole into the wheel center that came with my wheels. I plan on connecting the wheel center permanently to the spare wheel carrierand use the original bulb and wiring from the factory 3rd brake light. It should fit nicely and legally.
Joevacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
use the original bulb and wiring from the factory 3rd brake light.
From my own experience, the whole plastic POS lens cover broke into pieces with your idea in mind = no OEM light to work with

and VA doesn't require fenders, but a tree knocked it off the day of that photo
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light , spare tire , spare tire carrier , wires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.