Help! New JK Owner needs your insight! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! New JK Owner needs your insight!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Could be a pebble in the brakes somewhere or just they are new. A few hard stops may help with that and to break in the rotors and pads.

If you're gonna do a few hard stops make sure to drive steady without too much braking after to cool down the pads and rotors.

My jeep sits for days. And when I get in and drive there is a few squeaks and weird noises but that's just rust and parts that haven't been moving. Especially in winter I notice lots of weird noises. After she warms up and lubes up she's fine.

By the way. Congrats on the jeep!!!! You'll love it! I certainly love mine. The good and bad.

Also. Forgot to mention. Jeeps rattle, squeal, vibrate, make odd noises. My seats squeak over bumps. But I don't care lol. That's one of the things I love about my jeep. I didnt buy it for comfort or luxury and didnt expect it either. I only want reliability and fun. It's so refreshing to own a vehicle that its ok if it's rough, rattles or squeaks once in a while. It's a jeep thing and I understand!!!!! Lol.

OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys, I am really excited about the jeep and I honestly didn't care about that squeak all day today thinking about it and how I wasn't able to drive it, ha ha ha .

I got it back from the dealer a while ago, but I wasn't able to log on to follow up till now... Apparently they tried to replicate the noise, but couldn't find anything wrong, or hear anything! They just gave me the P/S Reservoir Cover and told me that if I had any more problems to go into the dealership. All the service people went home by the time I picked up the car, and as I drove away from the dealership I heard the damn noise again. It sort of disappears at higher speeds than 30mph, but it sounds like some scratching/high pitched metal on metal sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
Could be a pebble in the brakes somewhere or just they are new. A few hard stops may help with that and to break in the rotors and pads.

If you're gonna do a few hard stops make sure to drive steady without too much braking after to cool down the pads and rotors.
That is a good idea, I hadn't really thought of that. It has been so long since I've had a car with new rotors and brake pads that I don't even know what it's like. I am going to do a few hard stops tomorrow and then maybe later in the day if I can make it to my dads house I'll lift it and spin the axle see what I hear/see. I barely got time after work to do anything so I always gotta wait till either the weekend to do anything for myself or the truck, or I squeeze it in the last few hours of the day lol.

cheers
dreamgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgt View Post
...Apparently they tried to replicate the noise, but couldn't find anything wrong, or hear anything!..
That sounds typical of dealerships. Same answer I was given (different problem) and sent home. Brought it back again and road along as they checked it out again so they couldn’t tell me that they couldn’t replicate the problem. I knew what it took to get the problem I had to show its ugly head so you might want to do the same, ride along.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
That sounds typical of dealerships. Same answer I was given (different problem) and sent home. Brought it back again and road along as they checked it out again so they couldn’t tell me that they couldn’t replicate the problem. I knew what it took to get the problem I had to show its ugly head so you might want to do the same, ride along.
Well I actually hadn't really thought of it, but the Jeep was brand spankin' new when I got it; I mean it had about 25 miles when I got in it and drove away. I am just going to assume the brake noise has to do with the fact that the brakes aren't properly bedded. I found this pretty cool bedding guide for new brakes, which even mentions that new cars should follow the steps outlined for proper bedding and to receive the most out of your new brakes. I hope the noise goes away after I do it a few times. I'll test it tomorrow... If it's not fixed after another few hundred miles its back to dealer for a ride along.

Goodnight all!

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys, I figured that I would update my post...didn't want to create a new topic regarding my new purchase until I really start modifying it and I can move it to the build thread. Since I bought the jeep I have gotten everything sorted out and the car has been running fantastic. I bought a tuffy hood lock, some gorilla wheel locks, the mopar door sills and some smittybilt grab handles. I'll post some pics in a few in case any of you were interested.

I wanted to ask those of you who have experience with wheels what the difference in Size: 15x7,15x8,16x10,16x8,17x9 is and what would be the recommendable setup for a daily driver type which will see pretty moderate off-roading about a 50/50 split. I am set on the Ultra Type 164's : Type 164 Matte Black and was wondering if any of you run these wheels and what your opinion about them are? Also would I have to make any modifications to the existing setup to get these on there with some 35"'s ? I am planning to do a 3" lift before purchasing the wheels and tires, but I just want to be sure about what I am ordering.

Thanks to those who respond and help out with some info.

Cheers!
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

16" or 17" are fine... What you really want to pay attention to is the Offset / Backspacing. 4.5" - 4.75" works well for 35" tires.
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #22
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

So what does offset actually refer to? The width of the rim itself? I am sort of confused about that. Also would there be any modification like spacers or anything needed?

I just want to know from A-z what it is Ill need. In the meantime Ill keep searching the forum.

Thanks for replying dude!
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

wait, what was causing the sound? Or did it just go away?
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600
wait, what was causing the sound? Or did it just go away?
It just ended up going away. I mean at times I think I hear something but that just might be my mind playing tricks on me. :-p

I am pretty sure it was the brakes that weren't bedded properly.
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Grr have to take her in to assess why now my drivers side freedom top panel is filling with water now. I took her in about a month ago because the passenger side freedom top was flooded with water after a little rain outside my work. After 3 days of being in the dealer they called me to pick it up. The mechanic described that he replaced all these bent seals, but when i took off the freedom top it was the same old seals, bent in the same place. Also the supposed new top had his greasy hand marks all over it or it was the old one, it was so stained with hand marks it looked like the original one. well the problem stopped happening but then Yesterday I noticed the same thing happening on my drivers side, theres drops falling on my radio and all over my arm and door panel. Alao the freedom tops just dont sit perfectly aligned. They just look off! I am so pissed at this dealership for doing such half-assed work. I am taking her in tomorrow at 7 to see if they can help me out.

Super pissed Ive had to take the car to the dealer 3 times since Ive purchased her less than 4 months ago. A brand new 2013 go figure...

Wish me luck!
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #26
Mr. D
2013 JK Wrangler 

Good Luck!

That blows!
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #27
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

This is crazy man.

Document everything. Write down who and when you spoke to someone. Every time you've had issues. The solution and the results.

If you got a jeep built the day after the staff Christmas party or someone's bachelor party you might have a lemon. I'm not saying it is but just in case.

I know my hard top leaks. Soft top leaks and I've had to tweak it and customize my hard top a little to help out the seals. Go to Home Depot ad get weather stripping. It's the same stuff they use but at a fraction of the price. My hard top only leaks now where the seal is aroun the back window. It rained yesterday here. I would bet my next pay check that i have water inside my jeep if I go look right now. I'm out if warranty and its a 2010 but a 2013 shouldn't have this just yet. Maybe in a year but 4-5 months???

Take the screws and hardware out. Torque everything down lightly. Tight but not super tight. When the top is being pulled down by the bolts it can throw off slight angles and make it sit weird. Maybe not even to the naked eye but a bit here and there. Also, take a look at your front latches. Maybe they don't grab as they should. There should be a noticeable amount of resistance when trying to secure the latches over the sun visors

Good luck and let us know.
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #28
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Alright well after 3 days in the dealer I finally picked the jeep up. They replaced the driverside t-top now , so my new 2013 jeep has had both freedom top panels replaced so far, 4 months into purchase...anyways im confident this has fixed the issue , but we shall wait and see after another heavy rain fall, or car wash this weekend.

They also replaced a foam near the top that was deformed, and my chair reclining handle as it was missing a clip and kept falling out. I asked them to check the alignment of the tops because i felt that they looked off but the tech said he looked at other jeeps on the lot and he said it is common. Also asked for them to look at my sound bar screws because the passenger side screw is still not centered but sits to the side, but they didnt seem to address it. Overall i love my jeep and have been super happy with it since ive bought it. Four months into her Ive hit the trails around my farm around 3 times and have really been putting her to use, going places I never thought possible! I already see a need for a lift and bigger tires so thats next!

Regarding lifts, anyone have personal favorites? Apparently a local shop will install a rugged ridge brand 3" lift for about 500 dollars but that seems too low to me...what do you all think?

Have a good weekend all!
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

and my soft top has been 100% dry in the heavy nw rains so far, amazing...though i've had the tranny 1st gear popouts rebuilt which solved it), pcm reflash (2 of, which conform the Jeep to 50 state emissions but, which delete the ECO lite unfortunately), sun visors breaking/replaced with updated brackets, all at dealer expense... these recalls/TSBs/repairs therein are "it"...otherwise: have been no problem issues, I avg of 20.0 mpg overall , wish it was more..(almost 24K miles now) and nothing else has been a problem or broken...2010 seems to (other than the TSB issues described) been a good year for JKs?! ...
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinWesternWA
and my soft top has been 100% dry in the heavy nw rains so far, amazing...though i've had the tranny 1st gear popouts rebuilt which solved it), pcm reflash (2 of, which conform the Jeep to 50 state emissions but, which delete the ECO lite unfortunately), sun visors breaking/replaced with updated brackets, all at dealer expense... these recalls/TSBs/repairs therein are "it"...otherwise: have been no problem issues, I avg of 20.0 mpg overall , wish it was more..(almost 24K miles now) and nothing else has been a problem or broken...2010 seems to (other than the TSB issues described) been a good year for JKs?! ...
I'm hoping the 2010 was a good year lol. My sun visor screw will not stay in. Funny you mention that. Never got a recall

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.