Help! New JK Owner needs your insight! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Help! New JK Owner needs your insight!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Help! New JK Owner needs your insight!

Hi everyone, first post! Just purchased a JK today, and honestly I have been planning to buy it for a long time coming now. So glad I finally was able to buy it! It is my first car purchase after all...

Anyways I bought a brand new 2 dr Wrangler Sport, 2013 with 25 miles on it... But driving through the town tonight with the windows down I noticed a pretty nasty, chirping (squeaking) sound that seems to coincide with the rotation of the wheel, specifically be the rear passenger wheel.

I inspected the rotor and its fine, but I noticed a small brim of rust/corrosion along the rim of the rotor, which might mean that they were probably a little rusty from sitting in the shipping docks as it awaited shipment to the actual dealership. I mention this as a posibility because I literally had to wait at the dealership a few hours as they brought it over from the docks to my location (they didnt have a black 2 door on the their lot).

My question to you all is: Have any of you ever experienced such a noise with a new car? Is this noise something I should run back to the dealer about (tomorrows Sunday )? Ever heard of a noise such as this occurring due to any corrosion on the disk brake?

The noise can be best described as small birds chirping away, but constantly. Like a light metal on metal scratching noise with a high pitch...

Thank you all for your help and insight on this matter, and for reading my post.

Goodnight all, and hope to be posting here much more soon!

-John

dreamgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Check the brake dust shields, someone may have bent them strapping it down on the boat.
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hi John congrats on your new Jeep and to the forum.

Just take it back to the dealer first thing Monday morning.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

I agree with the dust guards thought. It could also be light corrosion on the brakes. I know when mine sits for a few days in the rain mine will squeak for a bit before quitting.

Another option is jack up the rear end, put it on some jack stands and spin the wheels and listen for it to see if you can narrow down where it is exactly. I would guess the corrosion may be rubbing on the warn brake indicator, or the dust guard.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys, thanks for the quick response and the warm welcome. Haven't gotten a chance to check it out this morning, but I hope it is something as simple as a dust shield thats bent! I really don't want to have to take it in to the dealer after all the time I had to spend there yesterday; but alas it was pretty disappointing spending 8 hours buying a new car just to drive it with the windows down and hear the noise I did. If it is something like the dust shield I'll probably fix it myself, and maybe if it's just corrosion it will work itself out.

All in all, I just wanted the satisfaction of having a car that didn't rattle, squeak, and groan every time I drove it; I wanted something solid! But I guess I'll have to suck it up and work with what I've got, because so far I am in love with the Jeep!

Again thanks for the welcome all!
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCurtains View Post
I agree with the dust guards thought. It could also be light corrosion on the brakes. I know when mine sits for a few days in the rain mine will squeak for a bit before quitting.

Another option is jack up the rear end, put it on some jack stands and spin the wheels and listen for it to see if you can narrow down where it is exactly. I would guess the corrosion may be rubbing on the warn brake indicator, or the dust guard.
I am going to try and jack it up and do what you said a little later this afternoon. I'll see if I can learn anything about the problem... Thanks for the tip!
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

You know... I tried to re-create the noise it was making, but I really am having a hard time finding it. Perhaps it was just dust and crud in the rotor? I didn't have time to jack it up today, but I guess I'll have to try sometime during the week. On another note I just realized one of the caps belonging to one of the reservoirs in the engine compartment is missing. Don't know if it came loose while driving it around or what... Do these caps generally have the tendency to fly off or is it just my luck?

(btw not my car)
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's the power steering cap and somebody didn't tighten it.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
That's the power steering cap and somebody didn't tighten it.
Man, that sort of ticks me off... 150 miles on the thing and I am already missing parts.

Either way...gonna have to make a visit to the dealer earlier then I expected.

Thanks for the reply Godholio.
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgt View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the quick response and the warm welcome. Haven't gotten a chance to check it out this morning, but I hope it is something as simple as a dust shield thats bent! I really don't want to have to take it in to the dealer after all the time I had to spend there yesterday; but alas it was pretty disappointing spending 8 hours buying a new car just to drive it with the windows down and hear the noise I did. If it is something like the dust shield I'll probably fix it myself, and maybe if it's just corrosion it will work itself out.

All in all, I just wanted the satisfaction of having a car that didn't rattle, squeak, and groan every time I drove it; I wanted something solid! But I guess I'll have to suck it up and work with what I've got, because so far I am in love with the Jeep!

Again thanks for the welcome all!
8 hours to buy a car? I just send out emails to dealers, get my quotes, reply/call to get lower offers and spend about an hour there to write acheck and do paperwork, pretty simple. Why 8 hours??? OMG! Always below invoice, the Tread lightly discount of 1% below invoice made my current JK a great buy with rebates (2) and getting free labor to install aftermarket parts too...oved it..

Give it a few hundrred miles and take it back with any other concerns for a look over if you can't find the noise beforehand. As long as you let em know about it, your fine...
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply JeffinWestern,

I can't really tell ya why it took 8 hours, but I got in around 9 and left at 6pm well after closing and the sun was down (couldn't even enjoy the car in the daytime! IT SUCKED). I initially wanted to test drive the car and make sure I wanted it. The salesman had to take out a showroom model from the building for me to test it, but it resulted that a couple was buying that onel later in the afternoon (lime green, which I wasn't a fan of). After I finally got to drive the car we took a pretty long and scenic route around these bumpy roads (easy to find here in Puerto Rico). After the test drive, he really wanted to make sure I was serious so I waited on him running in and out of his bosses office verifying my info for about an hour. Took about an hour lunch break from the whole ordeal then went straight back to the dealership. He was trying to see what colors and options they had available for a good 3 hours. I initially walked in for a black two door, but they didn't have that so I gave them the other color options I would consider. Finally I settled on a Commander green, but they ended up having sold it; so he gave me a commando green with a soft top as an option, but that one resulted having a ripped soft top. After the guy realized he was putting me and my girlfriend through hell, he went into the office and didn't come back for awhile, but when he came back he had good news! He got his hands on a black 2 door! I was very happy to have gotten the color I wanted and walked in for... Anyways here I am now! And I hope that the story answers your question ..

I am in no big hurry to take it to the dealer... I am thinking the noise was just a product of my paranoia...actually it was real, but I think I blew it out of proportion and didn't give it enough time to see if it'd work itself out.
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just dropped the Jeep off at the dealer for them to inspect the noise in the rear passenger tire. I'll follow up with what they tell me whence I pick it up later today.

I thought the problem was gone, but I was driving around with the dame and the windows down and heard it again, this time it was a little more consistent (and needless to say annoying). It was already 6:30pm, but I called the salesmen on his cell phone to coordinate an appointment for the service center and he happened to still be at the dealership and obliged.

I really hope I get the car back today and that there isn't anymore problems. I really hate being chauffeured around...

On another note, this is what I traded in to join you all here on this glorious day .

1999 CLK 430... I'll miss the v8, but not the maintenance cost!
photo.jpg  
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've had small rocks get lodged between the rotor and the dust shield and make a horrible racket. After a few miles enough of the rock grinds away that they drop out and all is well again.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
dreamgt
2013 JK Wrangler 

You know I am hoping the problem is as simple as that, but a part of me wishes it is a more serious issue that needs to be attended. But if they can confirm that it's just rocks or dust in the brake rotor then that'd be fine! I have heard rocks in the rotor before, but this sounds a little weirder and it is consistent with the brakes off at around 20mph. I also noticed the noise the day I bought the car, so the thing probably had never seen a dirt road before I got it.

Nonetheless, I would of jacked it up and inspected it myself, but being that I just purchased the car this weekend I almost feel compelled to take the car to the dealer for whatever problem I find with it, especially within these first few weeks. Am I right? I mean the salesman himself told me anything that needs to be done to the car for it to be perfect will be provided for no additional cost. (I wonder how long that'll last...)

I'll find out more when I pick it up this afternoon!
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

congrats! hope everything works out for you and the dealer takes good care of you!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jk , noise , wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.