Help -- my JK intermittently won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Help -- my JK intermittently won't start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
MEber
2009 JK Wrangler 

Help -- my JK intermittently won't start

I have a 2009 and the problem began last year after I moved here to Nashville.
For about half a second my engine gets power and then just cuts out. I get dead silence holding the key to the start position.

I took it into the dealer and they say it starts just fine. I've had it start after one or two tries and I've had it not start at all. I replaced the battery first because I came from Arizona and the desert is hard on batteries. Then I replaced the starter because if I banged the old one I usually got it started right off.

After replacing the starter I thought all was good. In fact I had no problem for almost a month. I thought it came back about two weeks ago but thought I just let up on the key too fast. Now it is back in full raging force.

If anyone has a suggestion for where to look next I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Michael

MEber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
xSoFx
2006 WK 

I actually have noticed this as well. At first it was a dead battery(After 2 days of owning it ). I replaced it with a Red Top but still notice it to turn over for about 1/2 second as you stated and it quits. Try again and it starts right up. Sounds like a missing tooth in the gears almost?
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
coach4christ

Have you ever had a corroded battery? If so, you may want to change the line that goes from your battery to your starter. Had the same thing happening to my tundra, changed the cable and no problems since. I have a buddy that is a mechanic, he said battery corrosion is like a cancer. It will follow the wires off of your battery and corrode the wires to the point that they cont send enough juice to the starter or your vehicles computer or whatever runs straight from the battery.
coach4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
xSoFx
2006 WK 

In my situation, the cable is very corroded. I will give that a try.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.