Help me out with some fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me out with some fenders

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK

Unread 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
mustangduckk
2008 JK Wrangler 

Help me out with some fenders

I've got an '08 JK with a 4" lift and 35" tires.

I'm looking at the Bushwacker Pocket Fenders, the extended ones. Some people seem to love them, some hate them. I'd like to give them a shot.

Mainly though, I'm wondering if I have enough wheel and tire to fill them out. Tires are 35x12.50R17LT. I'm not sure on the backspacing on my rims; they were on there when I got this Jeep.

Here is a shot down the body how it sits now. The tires stick out a little from factory coverage. Just wondering if they'll get swallowed up and look tiny with the extended pocket fenders.

mustangduckk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
avatheredjeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

I can't see the picture but I do know that plastic fenders, especially wider variants of them don't do well on jeeps that see a lot of tight trails and those fenders look out of place on jeeps that I have seen around here. Just my .02
avatheredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know what the "new" ones measure, but mine would only sit even with my 33.6/75x16 inch Hankooks, if

I used 1.5" Spidertrax spacers-

Now my "Pocket" flares are for sale, but I won't ship them and my spacers are almost sold-so

I'm in Calif. now and my jeeps in Nevada, so I can't measure, but I remember the front "Pocket" flares are 15" out from the body !

Here's a shot/w spacers

However if you're using 35" whatevers, thet will probably rub on the "pockets" if you go off-road-mine did and even though I relieved them--it wasn't enough, so I've gone to MCE "flatties"/w new tires !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

that looks ok to me. I can see the pic. Some states you would have to go to the huge pocket flairs. Off road the less jeep that sticks out the better, more tire. I run 3" narrow PS and a lot of tire sticks out and my off set is about 1" more, another jeep can pull up on one easy. But here it is not a issue. Even in our near local states Like Cali and Utah i have never been ticked.

They would keep water mud from flinging, might as well add mud flaps as well, some states i would guess mandate as well if to much tire is showing.
Unread 01-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, YUP, the "pocket" flates will cut down the mud sling on OTHER vehicles, but-

They won't keepit off yours-that

Takes mud flaps or "flow Interrupters" like mine, but

Thats another story I've told 8/10 times !

Good luck

JIMBO
Unread 01-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
mustangduckk
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't think they're required here in OK, I just like them for the looks.

I don't spend a whole lot of time in tight places or rocky trails. Most of my off-roading is plowing through muddy areas and streams and stuff to get back to my hunting areas.
mustangduckk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
JeremyatKOR
WWW.KRAWLOFF-ROAD.COM
2008 JK Wrangler 

The pocket flares, to me, look bulky on the JK's but to each his own. I think those are around the same width of the factory one or just slightly wider. I know my Rugged Ridge All Terrain fenders are narrower than stock so my tires stick out more than they did before.

Jeremy
JeremyatKOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

YUP, mine got bulkier and bulkier, so

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
I don't know what the "new" ones measure, but mine would only sit even with my 33.6/75x16 inch Hankooks, if

I used 1.5" Spidertrax spacers-

Now my "Pocket" flares are for sale, but I won't ship them and my spacers are almost sold-so

I'm in Calif. now and my jeeps in Nevada, so I can't measure, but I remember the front "Pocket" flares are 15" out from the body !

Here's a shot/w spacers

However if you're using 35" whatevers, thet will probably rub on the "pockets" if you go off-road-mine did and even though I relieved them--it wasn't enough, so I've gone to MCE "flatties"/w new tires !

Good luck

JIMBO
I changed to MCE GenIII-

As you can see, without spacers--the tires do stick out

Thats OK where my jeep lives-

JIMBO
Unread 01-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
ohio79
2011 JK Wrangler 

Im a fan of the Bushwacker flats.
ohio79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.