Help me out. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me out.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
LSSB

Help me out.

So thanks to a family member I bought my first Jeep because of his and how much I liked it. Somethings about my jeep that might help as I have been reading other post. It is a 2012 JK unlimited in automatic. It has a Danna 44 rear axle in 3.21 and a Dana 30 in the front. Believe me as I have been reading I kind of wish I bought a Rubi now, but whats done is done. So here is the thing, due to car payments and how much I ride trails in FL I am debating to even lift or put wheel spacers in the Jeep, I don't trust this dealership to keep the warranty if I do put this stuff on. I also use the vehicle to pull my yard trailer with as that is my business and this is my everyday vehicle. So I thought about keeping the same tire size maybe a little bigger and putting some AT's on it. After reading some post I am kind of worried about the gears and the dana 30 on the jeep. I sometimes trail ride and go to the beach, no rock crawling and try to stay out of the mud (can be hard to do). By no means am I a die hard offroader , just trying to have fun with the jeep. So will the tires and gears be sufficient for what I am wanting to do, even with the stock tires it seemed to do good, but just looks like my wife's vehicle right now. What do you recommend?

LSSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Recommend? You'll be fine the way you are for the purposes you listed.

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
LSSB

okay so this maybe a real stupid ? but how well do the bottom of the doors seal? If i hit water Which is deeper than the bottom door line is the water going to flood in? A few times I was real close and could see a lift helping, but like I said that was only a few times
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Water will enter. You have drain plugs built into the floor for a reason

I don't understand why everyone is so paranoid about the Dana30. A built Dana 30 will hold 35s through the most aggressive wheeling

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
LSSB

To be honest, I am going with what I have been reading. I truly am new to all of this and have no clue what I am doing. We all start somewhere and I have been reading like crazy.
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

actually mine held the water out.

My 30 is open and I have not done anything to beef it up at all. I've wheeled the same rock walls as those with buggys. It's all about wheeling style and patience.

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
LSSB

Well how much difference does the gear ratio make, seems like what I have is kind of the best of both worlds seeing that I commute with my jeep more than I go off road with it.
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I was borderline over my hood in muddy water and nothing came in. I was actually surprised. My tops leak water like crazy though lol.

But I can submerge my jeep and be dry??? Figure that one out. Oh, by the way. What I did is prob not recommended lol. Try and stay in water just above the axles. If you must. It won't hurt the axles has breather tubes that are higher than that and I think they run up the b pillar half way up doors.

Nothing wrong with adding a more aggressive tire. That's always my first mod when buying any 4x4. I sold my dodge ram tires for cheap because to me they're garbage. Car tires dont belong on 4x4 vehicles. We have snow up here as I wheel it once in a while so a better tire was a no brainer.

Look at the duratracs. Great reviews people love em

Oh and 3:21 gears should be ok. A 3:73 would e a little better especially for towing but the cost now would not be worth it unless going to 5:13 or 4:88 and bigger tires.

Congrats BTW.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

If you are worried about water you can always take your carpets out when you plan on trail riding. I prefer mine out anyway. It gets alittle hotter and louder but its a jeep so it wasnt that cool or quiet to begin with. Someone already said what you have sounds good already for what you plan to do. Just do what you do until you see the need to add anything. I thought it was always best to wheel your jeep stock unless you know from first hand experience you want more than what you have. Congrats.
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
LSSB

Thanks, I do like my jeep so far and not that long ago I put Trek Armor seat covers on it (lol only mod). Now I am listening to that annoying Tick with the JK's heads and just waiting for the light to come on to take it in to get fixed.
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Meh. The mods will come. I'm in no rush. I'm reading. Reading and reading. The jeep isn't going anywhere and I have done some stuff. Most stuff you can't even notice or just looks stock. A quick look my jeep look pretty much stock. I've always liked a clean look when modding vehicles. Clean I mean no big cheesy looking mods. Hard to explain. I have done stuff but I'd have to point it out. My mods look like its from the factory which is what I kind if like.

Keep at er and slowly build it. It'll get there
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have hit a huge ditch for a few seconds that was a little over the hood. Water didnt get in anywhere except for leaking in through where the heater fan is. Anyone know how to fix this? Dont i just run with the ac on as a fix?
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.