Help me choose a lift! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Help me choose a lift!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 08-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Musclemach

Help me choose a lift!

My wife and i just purchased our 2009 4 door 4wd wrangler and want to start putting it in the air. We have been leaning toward a 4 inch suspension lift with 35s. Ill more than likely have to change gears(its an auto) not sure what gears to get. we dont drive the highway much, but we also dont rock climb or dig in the mud,more or less we want it for looks first and function second. I dont need the works but i also dont want to spend the time and money on a piece of crap. I actually live 2 miles away from the skyjacker home office and my wife goes to church with the owners,although im not opposed to using a different brand if its cheaper!! So what do you guys think i should get?

Musclemach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

i got the RE 3.5 (Rubicon Express). It was about 539. It retails I believe at 599, but if you use the forum vendor section you can price compete with vendors and online stores. You'd be surprised how low they'll go. . If you read one of the stickys http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/g...speed-1075016/ it will help you decide what gears you need. I like the rubicon express. I havent had any trouble with it so far. A lot of guys say you might need to swap out you drive shafts because of the angle of the lift. Thats what I hear. My drive shafes are 7k on the lift and still going strong. I have only been off-roading with it a few times but nothing hardcore. So since you won't be doing any off roading I think they lift will hold up fine, but with the 35s I dont know from experince. I've also read you should get C gussets to help support the 35s and possible sleeves for the axles. This is just some of the many things that come up when you research 35s on this forum. I'm sure there will be more input.
240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
frankie945
2008 JK Wrangler 

I recommend either a 2.5 teraflex or 2.5 rock Crawlers lift. 5.13 gears. a 2.5 lift is plenty for 35' s.
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Most 2.5" suspension lifts will work fine with 35 inch tires. Depending on how you off road you might have rubbing issues with the tires. Typically this is addressed with a small body lift.

There are a multitude of different ways you can go with lifts. Many cheaper 2.5" lifts are not considered technically complete, but there are many people running these type of lifts with no issues. I am running the Rough Country 2.5" coil lift. No problems with it so far. If I had the cash though, I'd be running a more complete 3 or 3.5" lift from someone like AEV.

The real question is, how much do you want to spend?
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Musclemach

How much do i wanna spend good question! Well like i said i dont offroad much at all so i wouyldnt think i needed a 1200 dollar lift i was thinking more a long the lines of 600 dollars or so. What does everyone think about this?

3" JK Suspension System

If i were to purchase a kit like this what else would be a must? I dont wanna shake to death from steering or be out of camber either! lol
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
frankie945
2008 JK Wrangler 

IMO..Zone sucks. Honestly If you don't plan to wheel that much. I would just go with a teraflex 2.5 buget boost spacer lift.
http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet...t-Boost/Detail

Try....
Teraflex 1251000 - TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit with Shocks for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

OR maybe..
http://www.jcwhitney.com/suspension-...41&zmap=861813
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have a Zone 3" lift and 35" tires. It will clear your tires, but the dang thing is hard as a rock. If you want to rattle fillings loose, the Zone lift is a good choice.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
JeeperzKreeperz
2007 JK Wrangler 

AEV rocks. I've had 3 different rides with three different lifts, all 4". But for me the AEV is the closest to the stock ride. Very happy.
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

from all the research I have done I have decided I like Rock Krawler lifts the most. They are very well designed and all the parts are extremely beefy.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
slimtim454
2010 JK Wrangler 

I plan on going with BDS suspension

BDS Suspension Kit 462H Details

BDS boast a No Fine Print Warranty, "If you are the original purchaser of any BDS product and it breaks, we will give you a new part. Period."
slimtim454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Farmdiesel
2007 JK Wrangler 

I installed a Rusty's 2 inch coil lift on our 07 2dr last month and have been pleased. I know people have mixed thoughts on Rusty's, but I think it was a good kit for the $$$. It's been offroad a couple of times with no problem and the road ride is just a little stiffer than stock (I personally like it better). I got 'round 3-3.5 inches on a 2dr so you would get a little less with a 4dr. I figured it was a nice entry level kit and can always be upgraded later. Good luck and you won't regret lifting!!
Farmdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Musclemach

Ok i spent all day yesterday looking at lifts and the wife called me and said she might have found one but check with you guys first so here is what she has proposed what do you think

Skyjacker Suspension JK40BPH - Skyjacker 4-5" Economy Lift Kit with Hydro Shocks for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
ncb

The word economy doesn't go well with a 4-5" lift. I don't understand why one would lift for looks. You will be much happier with a 2.5-3" lift.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Musclemach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
The word economy doesn't go well with a 4-5" lift. I don't understand why one would lift for looks. You will be much happier with a 2.5-3" lift.
Well i mostly will be lifting for looks because my wife will be driving it. and when it goes off road i will be using it. But for the majoprity of the time she will have it so mainly it will be for looks. I dont understand what this lift doesnt have that some of the others do have? Ive always had muscle cars,lifting a vehicle is new to me,im just trying to learn.
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Musclemach

ok so ive been looking some more and found this in the quadratec book. Am i retarded or will this do me just fine for what i want(off road maybe 3 times a year! and wanting to run 33s or maybe 35s)

Rubicon Express RE7130RXJ - Rubicon Express 2" Spacer System with Mono Tube Shocks for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Tags
JK Wrangler , lift advice , lift kits , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.