Help, getting sea sick - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Help, getting sea sick

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Existence
2007 JK Wrangler 

Help, getting sea sick

Hi Guys,

I'm at the end of my tether.

We are trying to sort out some steering issues on a Rubicon Unlimited.

The Jeep was fitted with an OME lift kit using the HD package. This set up gave the Jeep a 3.5" lift, but no relocation brackets were supplied.

When driving the Jeep on the motorway it feels like it is floating and constantly pulling to the left. The alignment is in spec with a bit more toe in.

Today we installed a front adjustable track bar and rear track bar relocation bracket to get the axles centred. This actually made it worse.

The next step is to adjust the caster, but is there something I am missing? All bolts are torqued to factory spec and there is nothing loose.

Your advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Unread 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

See this other thread; OME gives you a lot of lift but not many extras:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...nstall-914379/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

We are in the same boat....no pun intended. I'm tired of it and may remove the lift.
Unread 12-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Existence
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the link.

The thing I find strange is that the OME kit used to give you a solid, if not hard, ride.

I have the 3" Zone lift with the adjustable trackbar and the same setup, even ride height, to the OME kit as it stands now but mine handles perfectly.

The only difference is that I have the cam adjusters in mine. Could this really make such a huge difference in ride quality?
Unread 12-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Caster can have a lot to do with wandering and pulling. I would start there for sure.
Unread 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have that OME setup with JKS adj front and rear track bars, I ended up adjusting caster to about 3 degrees using front adj upper control arms - perfect ride and control. Later I added rear upper adj CAs to adjust rear pinion angle and avoid a DS problem in the future.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think the problem we have is finding someone locally who knows what they are doing like you Rockyclymer. I found a local Jeep club guy who met me one day and drove it to see if he could tell what the cause was. He said it drove fine to him...it's hit or miss
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the compliment - not many of those around and I try to stick to what I know and not speculate...my theory, Good decisions come from bad experiences and bad experiences come from wrong decisions.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
Existence
2007 JK Wrangler 

We'll do the caster adjustments today and then see where we are.

Thanks again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.