Help/confirmation that I'm wiring my locker correctly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Help/confirmation that I'm wiring my locker correctly

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Help/confirmation that I'm wiring my locker correctly

I'm wiring up Rubicon lockers on my non-Rubi. Given that I know nothing about wiring, I could use a little assistance/confirmation. I am using the OEM connectors for the lockers. I put a schematic together that I think is about 90% correct and 10% needs some help. The schematic also includes the wiring schematic of the Cotura II switch that I am using. Here is what I want to happen:

1. When the locker power is turned on, the large light of the switch comes on.

2. When the locker is engaged, the small light comes on (rather than the typical, wire it to the ignition so it's on when the Jeep is on).

3. I know I need fuses. Where and what size?

Thanks for the help. I'm electrically challenged, but trying to get up to speed.

presentation1.jpg  
invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

I wired mine to my sPOD, so I am not sure about the dash light. As far as the fuses, I have a 10A. Run it on the power line from the battery.
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle
I wired mine to my sPOD, so I am not sure about the dash light. As far as the fuses, I have a 10A. Run it on the power line from the battery.
Thanks. I think I finally have it figured out. I'll run power from the battery to the relay and then power to the switch from either the ignition line, or the fuse box. I have some open spots in my fuse box. Not sure how a 2013 JK likes that though. Maybe I can find a write up on that.

Man, it took me a day to swap both axles. Who'd have known it would be so complicated to wire the lockers...
invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
HKguy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm here because of the search function. I am installing the Dynatrac-Mopar F/R axles in my TJ which come with basically the factory JK locker. I am getting the factory plug and loom for the front and rear to connect up to the axle from there it's on me. What is the function of the relay in the diagram up top? I was planning a fused source for both lockers on the supply for the rockers. I am also using the Cotura II from OTRATTW for front and rear.
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKguy
I'm here because of the search function. I am installing the Dynatrac-Mopar F/R axles in my TJ which come with basically the factory JK locker. I am getting the factory plug and loom for the front and rear to connect up to the axle from there it's on me. What is the function of the relay in the diagram up top? I was planning a fused source for both lockers on the supply for the rockers. I am also using the Cotura II from OTRATTW for front and rear.
The purpose of the relay is so only a small amount of electricity flows through the switch, effectively isolating that part of the circuit. The switch causes the relay to close the circuit that feeds power to the locker. This electricity has more current that the circuit that the switch is wired to.

It works the same as any other circuit with a relay for anything else.

On a JK, the switch is wired into canbus system which means pressing the switch sends a request to the computer which will then send a signal for the relay to close and complete the circuit powering the locker. For DIY applications, this is not necessary and an ordinary switch wired the traditional way will work just fine.

I have never done it, but that is just basic electrical principles. That is what this forum is for. Sharing of knowledge freely in a community environment.
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
HKguy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Works for me. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.