HELP!CLUTCH REPLACEMET WITH >6K miles - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP!CLUTCH REPLACEMET WITH >6K miles

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

never fired, only dropped once

LTGreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #32
singular_lupus
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ditto on the "any offroad driving is considered abuse". Took my new jeep onto a trail to help pull a friend out of a hole and had the mud water (you know that really thin mud that dries like silt) kill one of the rear speed sensors. Didn't hit anything or scratch my vehicle while I was out. Took it to the stealership and got told I was abusing it and were very reluctant to repair it. The mud water killing the e-brake pads in the 12 or so hours of driving in between the mud and the stealership also contributed to their reluctance.
singular_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #33
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Im trying to wrap my head around this. How did you smoke your clutch if you werent riding on it? (your foot on the clutch pedal) Ive put my JK, and even my old YJ, through some ****, and the clutch has only smoked if I was wheeling and had to feather the clutch due to my lack of gears at the time. AFAIK the 2013 and the 2012 are identical in terms of drivetrain. Traction Control/ESP wouldnt be an issue had you been in low-range since all those safety systems are turned off, and if you were in high-range you would have been throwing indicator lights and tones all over the place. Your saying the engine was putting out all its power that caused the flywheel to loose its grip on the clutch and just smoke it? In first?I dunno, without a case of oil soaking that clutch this seems pretty farfetched to me.

Got a son or girlfriend that stole your Jeep for the night to learn to drive manual?

Sorry. One vote for user error...
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #34
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

the clutch was slipping as I was hitting soft sand. I was not on the clutch, and started to smell the universal smell of a burning clutch. I looked at my feet and was beyond confused, since it was not on the clutch. Then I stopped and put it in 4wd low and tried to make it to the road but it was too late.

I was talking to my uncle, who is an engineer. I explained to him the situation and this is basically what he said, "the reason why my clutch was slipping when you were not riding it is because it was fail, a jeep wrangler should not have a clutch slip on it's own while going through different sand.

I called Mopar, they were speechless, and it made it sound like they have ran into this problem before. The problem is, I am traped at dealer that is not willing to do the proper diagnostic.
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #35
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Also, when I am on the road the clutch burns when I am passing or merging on the highway, at around 4500.
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #36
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

I don't understand it at all!

all I know is that I read an article on how to turn the esp off in 4WD high. My clutch started to burn as I was driving in the tracks of other people. Soon after, the clutch started to smoke, so I stopped and put her in 4WD low. By then, it was too late. The 4x4 of the decade couldn't handle the beach.

Those light never came on...

I DID NOT GET BOGGED DOWN.

My Jeep is stock with radical tires and 3.73 gears.

The thing that really made me angry was the fact that emergency road side assistance said that they were coming and 12 hours later the park ranger came to my jeep and said that you need to figure this out on your own.

So, In the end, I was on the beach, overnight, doorless, and with no cell phone service waiting for roadside to come. Only to be bullied by a dishonest dealer.
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #37
Taylode
2013 JK Wrangler 

From what I've read so far, I think that the clutch slipping may be Jeep's issue; however, to go from a slipping to smoking I think is all on you. A slipping clutch should be very noticeable especially in the low gears where there is lots of torque. A slipping clutch would be noticeable whether you were on pavement or ice. When you felt the lessing of power (slipping) you should have noticed your RPM rising while your speed was diminishing. By down shifting and mashing the accelerator you exacerbated the problem and totally fried your clutch in the process. Had you been paying attention to what your Jeep was doing, and shifted into a higher gear with has less torque you may have been able get the clutch to reengage and limp your way out and perhaps get away with a simple clutch adjustment. I have no way of knowing but I'd guess that if you had brought your Jeep in with a slipping clutch rather than a completely fried and smoking one the dealer would have repaired it without complaint. However, to bring in one that is completely fried is probably why they view it as abuse. Good luck in finding a dealer to fix it under warranty and regardless of whether you do or not hopefully you learned something from this experience.

2013 Jeep JKU Sahara
Taylode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #38
Bville-Bud

Hey OP, what dealership are you working with? I'm less than 50 miles from Smithsburg and probably two weeks away from a new JK. After registering on True Car and a few other sites, I am getting emails and phone calls from every dealership around; I'll be happy to tell them why I wouldn't consider buying from them.
Bville-Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #39
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylode View Post
From what I've read so far, I think that the clutch slipping may be Jeep's issue; however, to go from a slipping to smoking I think is all on you. A slipping clutch should be very noticeable especially in the low gears where there is lots of torque. A slipping clutch would be noticeable whether you were on pavement or ice. When you felt the lessing of power (slipping) you should have noticed your RPM rising while your speed was diminishing. By down shifting and mashing the accelerator you exacerbated the problem and totally fried your clutch in the process. Had you been paying attention to what your Jeep was doing, and shifted into a higher gear with has less torque you may have been able get the clutch to reengage and limp your way out and perhaps get away with a simple clutch adjustment. I have no way of knowing but I'd guess that if you had brought your Jeep in with a slipping clutch rather than a completely fried and smoking one the dealer would have repaired it without complaint. However, to bring in one that is completely fried is probably why they view it as abuse. Good luck in finding a dealer to fix it under warranty and regardless of whether you do or not hopefully you learned something from this experience.
I had no idea what was going on at first. I didn't know that it was slipping. I thought that it was loosing traction from esp system and that was why I went to 4wd low.

I was not slamming on the accelerator, when I noticed that I was losing speed, I up shifted. Not because I was trying to engage my clutch, but because I didn't want my engine to overheat.

I have a lot to learn, I am not saying that.

I just believe that I should not have to pay for a clutch that was slipping because I was in the sand.
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #40
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bville-Bud View Post
Hey OP, what dealership are you working with? I'm less than 50 miles from Smithsburg and probably two weeks away from a new JK. After registering on True Car and a few other sites, I am getting emails and phone calls from every dealership around; I'll be happy to tell them why I wouldn't consider buying from them.
I appreciate the help, but I am at a dealer in Georgetown, Deleware.

Check out koons! I got my jeeps for 6k under the msrp.

They will low ball you on the trade, if you have one. Mine went from 7k to 16k lol. The sale-mens was lying to me, telling me that I broke suspension parts due to off roading. Then, I looked him in the eye and called him an idiot after I said that if there was 5K worth of suspension damage I would not of been able to make the drive on 70, 270, and 465.

Good Luck
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #41
Taylode
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTGreek View Post
I had no idea what was going on at first. I didn't know that it was slipping. I thought that it was loosing traction from esp system and that was why I went to 4wd low.

I was not slamming on the accelerator, when I noticed that I was losing speed, I up shifted. Not because I was trying to engage my clutch, but because I didn't want my engine to overheat.

I have a lot to learn, I am not saying that.

I just believe that I should not have to pay for a clutch that was slipping because I was in the sand.
Well it sounds like you have the right attitude and I really do wish you luck!

2013 Jeep JKU Sahara
Taylode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #42
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

Jeep will not replace the clutch under any circumstances. They don't care if you drove off the lot a mile and it explodes...
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #43
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Lol that's doubtful, they prob flagged you for offroad abuse

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #44
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

there is no way that the clutch wouldn't hold the engines power, thats ridiculous to think that it would slip. if he had his foot on the clutch pedal or messed up - its one thing but blaming the clutch slipping on its own is just stupid. either the OP did something directly to mess it up (which it sounds like he did not) or it was a bad clutch and the dealer needs to fix it. call chrysler corporate again. demand action.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #45
LTGreek
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have been!!! It's so frustrating. I feel like I going to have to do research on my lemon rights....

All car manufacturers have a cartel against fixing their manual clutch! They said that it's the industry norm to make their customers pay for the clutch, no matter the situation.

Tags
clutch , dealership , jku , warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.